User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, Having "No idea" is total BS. You are too funny. Once again, Amazon knows EXACTLY where a $2 drain stopper is and when it will be on my porch, but it's "unreasonable" to expect General RV to know the status of $50,000 RVs?? That they have charged $1800 to have delivered ?? Oh, gee, let's have the transport guys draw names out of a hat !! Maybe they will take it to Alaska !! Maybe they will not realize it is even there !! Maybe they will take it home with them since NOBODY knows who, what, where, when ?? Absurd.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that GD or the dealer can’t give a better timeline is because they do not care to track it that closely. If GD wanted to implement a better tracking system they easily could as Zorro55 pointed out with Amazon tracking or multitudes of other companies that use independent haulers/drivers, but who have to track because delivery time matters. Seems that to GD, closely tracking delivery times is not that important and they have made a business decision that it is not worth the extra cost. Maybe that is based on how many customers order vs. how many buy off the lot (where delivery time is not a factor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 311BHS / 16K Airborne Sidewinder
    TV: 2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch / Airlifter Ultimate 5000 air bags / 16K Curt Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered a $60,000 Jeep Wrangler with a $1500 shipping charge last fall and watched its status change from order to VIN assignment, build, and ready to ship. Hooray! How long could it possibly take for the 8 hour haul to Peoria? About a month, with no reliable status updates available. After ready to ship, it went into a black hole, invisible to even the dealer. They tried regularly to get updates but couldn't track it, getting contradictory updates from day to day. There’s a national driver shortage, carrier capacity is strained, handoffs aren’t linked across entities, and nobody has reliable forecasts. Until the load is tendered, no estimate can possibly be accurate. This is not Amazon and UPS.
    Last edited by dkayak; 05-23-2021 at 06:54 AM.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is much EASIER for General RV than Amazon or UPS to track, update and inform the transportation of an item that will be delivered ONE at a time !!!! Pointing fingers and claiming driver shortages has NOTHING to do with supplying a reliable time frame.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish we had a driver on the forum who could explain how it really works.

Reading OP's post again, the General RV dealer in Michigan has to send a driver to the GD facility in Indiana to pick it up. It doesn't sound like what I initially thought, which was it's sitting at a place waiting for it's turn for a driver to be assigned.

Im getting in line behind the OP now. I had a vision of a central GD location where trailers are picked up and delivered by drivers who are not affiliated with the dealer to either bid on the delivery or select one that is in the area they want to be or live or whatever. If General has to dispatch someone, then dammit, get a damn truck and go pick it up! Since it's only 2.5 hours, it is a day job with time left over.

This doesn't sound like manufacturer delivery problem, sounds like a dealer delivery problem. Unless dealers can't go pick it up and manufacturer is using the dealer as an excuse. That's why I'd sure like to know how it REALLY works.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 05-23-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience working in logistics, you cannot forecast a delivery date before you’ve tendered a load to a carrier, particularly if you’re unsure when you’ll find a carrier to accept your tender. This is just as true for a single item as for a full truckload shipment.

Amazon doesn’t have that problem, as they’re big enough to demand priority treatment in their carrier contracts.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Wish we had a driver on the forum who could explain how it really works.

We're all guessing at this point. I suspect General RV doesn't have their own drivers. If they did, they'd probably be able to provide a better update. If they compete with the thousands of other dealers for a driver, how could they possibly know?
    Exactly! I’m assuming they don’t have their own drivers. Maybe that’s a bad assumption?
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    Exactly! I’m assuming they don’t have their own drivers. Maybe that’s a bad assumption?
    Toss the janitor in a truck and give him a sack lunch and turn him loose to go pick it up.

ROAD TRIP!

Just kidding... at least about the janitor part. But seriously, if the dealer is supposed to dispatch someone then just do it. I still suspect they don't use dealer personnel, but an independent company, and they are stretched thin Im sure.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When dealing with costly, extremely mobile items, how could you possibly NOT know ??

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General RV is ENORMOUS. Just saying.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast