User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnHundley View Post
    We are in Windsor New York. I have family in Deposit and am hoping one of them can give me advice. Thank you for responding to my post!!!
    Ok, I suggest talking to your campground owners or host for a more local recommendation. If no good, I can recommend Truck and Trailer Depot in New Windsor, which is a couple hours from where you are. My experience is ~6 years old, but they were great when I had an emergency need while towing my car hauler.

FYI - breakaway pins get pulled regularly because of inappropriate length lanyard or entanglement of the lanyard with the safety chains or trailer umbilical, and I've even had on pulled while backing into a site by snagging a fallen branch!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawn, the idea of getting a trailer tech there is the ideal. Truck stop mechanics, tractor supply stures etc might know a good guy or company. Where in the truck do you guys typically attach the breakaway ebrake cabling. My hitch mfgr says attach ‘to the hitch’, but I read “what if you lose the hitch head or base and it all takes off behind you”. The ecable is tagging along with the ye olde hitch attached to the pinbox. So in my truck i connect it to a rear cleat on the truck bed side and there is still plenty of slack for extreme left/right turns.

Is there any chance it got connected further away than in your prior trips? Such that there was less slack for any hard turns? SOMETHING was sure different this last time.

Sorry to hear of the stroke challenges. My wife and I will say a prayer for you both.
    Doug&Dena
    2020 337RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 HO Cummins Dually
    Reese M5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnHundley View Post
    Thank you for your response. Praying for little damage. We are clueless on how the wire was disconnected.
    While backing into my driveway after my last trip my brakes locked up. For a second or two I thought my transmission went on me because I couldn't go in either direction. Then my wife hollered for me to take my foot off the brakes and I new exactly what had happened. The slack in my cable dropped down and caught on one of the pins connecting the hitch to the rails and pulled out.... easy fix with no damage.
    Reading this thread with all of these posts reminded me that I needed to remedy that situation so I just ordered these which I'm hoping will be a better solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YDFLSF2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 06-22-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DawnHundley A couple of observations. First, while reading this thread, I noticed you replied to several posters. Just a hint, when replying to a poster, use the "Reply With Quote" button next to the "Reply" button. This will quote the person you are replying to and send them a message that you have responded to their post. It makes it easier to know who you are replying to. You can also use the "@" sign followed by their user name as I have here to let them know you are replying to them.

On the brakes, It's not uncommon for the breakaway cable to get snagged on something and be pulled, thereby applying the trailer brakes. You just have to be careful how you attach it to the tow vehicle to minimize the chances of that happening.

One thing I want to mention is whenever there is a trailer brake issue while driving, you need to pull over as soon as possible and it's safe. In your case, if the breakaway cable was pulled, this will apply full braking to the trailer. Continuing down the road under this condition will overheat the brakes and could easily lead to a brake/tire fire! Since a thermal event did not happen, you are very lucky. Since that did not happen, I would be concerned that the brakes were not working properly before the breakaway cable was pulled. At the very least, you should have felt a serious drag on the tow vehicle and it should have been difficult to maintain speed.

As a course of action, you need to have a mobile trailer tech (RV or not) check each wheel for brake and bearing condition, and also have the tires checked for any sign of heat damage. Once a tire is heat damaged, it's only a matter of time before you have a catastrophic failure, most often causing expensive damage to the RV. Also, have the tech check the trailer for proper brake operation.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 06-22-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I have to agree with the above.

I would get a Mobile RV tech, or find a trailer repair shop, this can be a Horse Trailer or Utility Trailer repair shop. They both would have the expertise to diagnose and repair your camper.

One additional thought...

If you do need to replace all four brakes and the bearings, you might want to consider replacing both of the axles, the labor savings might make up for the extra cost for the axle replacement.

PS: If you do need to replace all four brakes, you might also want to consider an upgrade to Disc Brakes, the new axles can be ordered with the Disc brakes already installed.

Just a couple of thoughts to help you turn your Lemons into Lemonade.

PPS: You may be able to get your Insurance to pay part of the repairs, depending on how good your coverage is.
    @SolarPoweredRV I think you mean to replace the whole brake backing plate as an assembled unit. For not much more $$$ than brake shoes and a lot less labor you get new brake shoes, magnet assembly and bearings. There is no need to replace the axle tube and all unless it's bent or deformed.
    @DawnHundley I suggest you follow Geotex1's advice about going to the trailer shop. Forget the mobile tech or a dealer. These parts are common to trailers of all types and I'm sure you would certainly not be the first to show up having your problem. Ashley Trailers as well as Croft Trailers & Hitches are both in the Binghamton area and less than 30 miles away. I'd bet they could have you in and out in a day.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-22-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    @SolarPoweredRV I think you mean to replace the whole brake backing plate as an assembled unit. For not much more $$$ than brake shoes and a lot less labor you get new brake shoes, magnet assembly and bearings. There is no need to replace the axle tube and all unless it's bent or deformed.
    @DawnHundley I suggest you follow Geotex1's advice about going to the trailer shop. Forget the mobile tech or a dealer. These parts are common to trailers of all types and I'm sure you would certainly not be the first to show up having your problem. Ashley Trailers as well as Croft Trailers & Hitches are both in the Binghamton area and less than 30 miles away. I'd bet they could have you in and out in a day.
    No, I did mean that replacing the whole axle might be cheaper than replacing only the brakes because the spindle might be damaged due to excess heat. If I were in that situation I would consider an axle upgrade to 8k axles and disc brakes.

I only mentioned it as something to be considered and not as the only way to go.

I am glad you are familiar enough with the area to recommend two trailer repair shops.

I do hope this situation can be fixed quickly and without too much expense.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do let us know how this turns out. Scary stuff.

For the knowledgeable, from a newbie with limited knowledge, if the brakes are locked up as the emergency cable pulled, how would one get it to a repair facility? I would think a mobile tech would be where you'd have to start.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humuhumu View Post

For the knowledgeable, from a newbie with limited knowledge, if the brakes are locked up as the emergency cable pulled, how would one get it to a repair facility? I would think a mobile tech would be where you'd have to start.
    Your best and safest method of transport would to have it towed to the repair facility.

To tow this properly, you would need a "Low Boy" trailer to pull the camper onto and then transport it to the facility.

Driving this camper would be unsafe.

Certainly hope you have AAA, Coach Net, or Good Sams towing coverage. Also, your Insurance Company would cover the cost of Towing if you have Road Side Assistance coverage.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humuhumu View Post

Like this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_235018.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	35171

In 2017 on the way down to FL we were on I-95 and just hit the Georgia state line when bam, the road dropped a good 6" due to the extreme heat and we sheared the rear wheel off our travel trailer.... Doing just over 65mph! The entire wheel, hub and spindle rolled under the side edge of the camper out the back and bounced over my daughter's car as she and my wife and our grandson were following behind us.

Name:	20170727_192938.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	35173
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170727_231941.jpg  
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 06-26-2021 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add pictures
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Like this....

Name:	20170727_235018.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	35171

In 2017 on the way down to FL we were on I-95 and just hit the Georgia state line when bam, the road dropped a good 6" due to the extreme heat and we sheared the rear wheel off our travel trailer.... Doing just over 65mph! The entire wheel, hub and spindle rolled under the side edge of the camper out the back and bounced over my daughter's car as she and my wife and our grandson were following behind us.

Name:	20170727_192938.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	35173
    WOW !!!!

That is impressive. I am glad everyone was OK in the follow car.

It just goes to show you how anything can happen when you are out on the road.

PS: Nice pic of the truck and trailer on the Low Boy Trailer.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast