User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wire type is irrelevant. 6 gauge wire is always used for 50A. With any smaller wire, there will be excessive voltage drop and overheating. You will never find a commercially made 50A cable with smaller than #6 .
    With smaller gauge wire, you also run the risk of burning up your appliances because the appliance will try to draw excessive current to compensate for the voltage drop. This is especially true on appliances that use inductive motors.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 06-19-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    I just caught that I might not be long enough with the cord they supply with the RV. I'm not near my RV to measure it and we have a trip next Wednesday so would like to get something on order quickly.

What length cord comes with the RV?

What length cord do you all recommend to work with 'most parks'?

If I need longer should I get an extension (which leaves a connection mid length) or replace with a longer one?

Wish I could do a reel but just don't have the space.
    Where is you connect? My old Imagine was in the back and the 45' was not enough at times. I bought a 25' extension. On my Reflection, it is about 1/3 the way back and I've not had a problem. Even at the local campground where the pedestal is not close...just makes it. But it is nice to have a spare.

I too have a nice tote that I keep 2 household 'outdoor' extension cords in, the 30a/15a adapter, 50A/30A dogbone, my EMS, and lock cable. Use one half as big for my main water house and extension, plus filter and the parts. And one smaller for the 5' sewer hose and adapters for the portable sewer tote tank.
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, I see you have a Momentum, like us. (399TH here.) I would LOVE a reel to roll that 9000 pound cord up into, but there's no compartment on that side for us, other than the water panel.
    2018 GD Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hung two METAL hose hangers, like the ones that hang on the side of your house, to coil up my power cords. Total cost, about $30...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the MORryde REEL56-001H
    Easy Reel Spooler and it works great. I installed in the outside storage area in the bed slideout (315rlts)
    https://www.morryde.com/products/eas...r-reel56-001h/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cord is the last thing I pack and the first thing I unpack and I store it on the street side basement. I stick one end in and coil it as I stuff it in.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Wire type is irrelevant. 6 gauge wire is always used for 50A. With any smaller wire, there will be excessive voltage drop and overheating. You will never find a commercially made 50A cable with smaller than #6 .
    With smaller gauge wire, you also run the risk of burning up your appliances because the appliance will try to draw excessive current to compensate for the voltage drop. This is especially true on appliances that use inductive motors.
    The notion that low voltage is going to damage an electrical appliance is just wrong. Most appliances just draw less current when the voltage is low and are not damaged such as a coffee pot or a toaster. Any appliance that will draw more current with low voltage will have protection built in. Motors have a built in thermal overload device that will shut off if the temperature or current gets too high. The converter has built in low voltage protection.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    The standard power cord that came with our 349m is a PITA to coil up and manage. Do they make a cord that is more manageable similar to welding cable (fine multi strand)?
    I wonder why only one person bothered to answer the OP's question. Unfortunately I see this happen a lot on forums. Yes there are more flexible cords that us a different jacket & insulation material. PVC is the stiffest. Home Depot has one that's made of Seoprene TPE. The downside is all the ones I've seen are extension cords so you will have to also buy an adapter to connect to your coach. Most every one that sells RV gear will have the flexible cords-just do a search. Hope this helps.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the length will be ok for us (for now) and the weight or stiffness seems manageable. As someone else posted above it is the first thing unpacked and last thing packed. Its pretty much just thrown in next to the water bay controls, but does work for now. Wish a reel was an option. It just takes up too much room.
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 349m-r
    - 8k axles, toppers, 3rd ac, Onan, Solar, Outside Entertainment, King Bed, Heat Pump, 3 Season Doors, Dual Pane Windows, Happi-Jac, Rear Al Deck
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    Where is you connect? My old Imagine was in the back and the 45' was not enough at times. I bought a 25' extension. On my Reflection, it is about 1/3 the way back and I've not had a problem. Even at the local campground where the pedestal is not close...just makes it. But it is nice to have a spare.

I too have a nice tote that I keep 2 household 'outdoor' extension cords in, the 30a/15a adapter, 50A/30A dogbone, my EMS, and lock cable. Use one half as big for my main water house and extension, plus filter and the parts. And one smaller for the 5' sewer hose and adapters for the portable sewer tote tank.
    We do the same thing with totes. Easy for set up and tear down to just set on the ground and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12