2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Almost got it, but not quite. I keep the pressure regulator and Y inside the utility bay to prevent freezing in the winter (the heated hose will not protect those components outside). The Solitudes and Momentums have a whole-house water filter (standard residential cartridge) inside the utility bay after the city water inlet. I'm going to do my "flow chart" in the direction the water flows:

Park water connection -> hose (heavy-duty and will withstand the pressure) -> (the rest of this is inside the heated utility bay) Y with valves on each output -> water pressure regulator -> 90 degree elbow -> city water inlet -> whole-house filter -> house

This way, the water for the black tank flush does not go through the pressure regulator nor the water filter (no need for either).

Attachment 35129

Rob
    That looks like a lot of weight hanging off the fresh water input. I am thinking of adding another short piece of hose between the pressure regulator ans the fresh water input so all that weight can lay on the bottom of the cabinet, or maybe even strapped to a wall.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    That looks like a lot of weight hanging off the fresh water input. I am thinking of adding another short piece of hose between the pressure regulator ans the fresh water input so all that weight can lay on the bottom of the cabinet, or maybe even strapped to a wall.
    The blue hose is very stiff and wedged into the door where it comes up into the compartment. It ends up holding most of the weight - and with the 90 degree elbow, there's no sideways stress on the fresh water input. Haven't had an issue yet, but may consider doing the same. Thanks.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... but we won't mention that it took me five years (full-time, no less) to figure it out.

Rob
    It took you five years of full time to figure it out. That translates to saving us not full timers about 40 years because you already figured it out for us. lol. Once again, thanks for your posts Rob
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 90% of the time I'm dumping at a dump station that supplies only non-potable water.
    For black tank flushing, I don't put non-potable water through anything that I'll later use for potable water - hose, regulator, fitting, filter.
    That just seems gross since I'm a bit squeamish about all this stuff anyway.
    signature

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost got it, but not quite. I keep the pressure regulator and Y inside the utility bay to prevent freezing in the winter (the heated hose will not protect those components outside). The Solitudes and Momentums have a whole-house water filter (standard residential cartridge) inside the utility bay after the city water inlet. I'm going to do my "flow chart" in the direction the water flows:

Park water connection -> hose (heavy-duty and will withstand the pressure) -> (the rest of this is inside the heated utility bay) Y with valves on each output -> water pressure regulator -> 90 degree elbow -> city water inlet -> whole-house filter -> house

This way, the water for the black tank flush does not go through the pressure regulator nor the water filter (no need for either).

Attachment 35129

Rob
    Hey Rob-
    First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Second, I always enjoy your no-nonsense, informative, non-judgmental responses. I joined the forum last Fall when our 2021 Solitude 310-GK was ordered -- so that I could educate myself ahead of our Spring 2021 delivery. My wife and are not new to camping -- 20 years tenting and another 20 in Coleman/Fleetwood pop-ups -- but we are brand new to hauling a 5th wheel. We are or soon-to-be retired, have sold the house, and effective Aug. 15th will be full-time living in our "tiny home" on the road.
    My follow-up question to your last post with the photo is: where in your "flow chart" would my On-the Go Water Softener be installed? And now that we've used our rig a couple times, how do I customize my signature, or insert photo of my wife and I and camper in the side bar like yours? Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHannaford View Post
    ... where in your "flow chart" would my On-the Go Water Softener be installed? And now that we've used our rig a couple times, how do I customize my signature, or insert photo of my wife and I and camper in the side bar like yours? Thank you in advance.
    Thank you for your kind words, Joe.

There are two reasons I've never gone down the water-softener route: 1) how to keep the setup from freezing (we often winter in some cold places), and 2) a typical water-softening system removes calcium and magnesium ions from hard water and replaces them with sodium ions. Calcium and magnesium interfere with soaps and detergents and the calcium causes hard deposits on fixtures. Sodium, in the form of salt, accelerates corrosion in a number of metals. Pick your poison. We don't have a problem with the soaps and detergents, so I don't consider it an issue. (Other RVers would argue with me on that one 'til the cows come home.) As a result, I can't advise you on where to put one without giving up precious basement space to plumb it inside.

You can customize your signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Other parts of your profile are editable in the same manner.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using the y fitting and a 2ft hose for a few yrs now. "Probabbly" couldn't happen but I always shut the valve for the fresh water while the flush out line is hooked up just to make sure I get no back flow condition.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 35129

Rob
    Question Rob: where did you find the short piece of flex (metal jacket?) hose that goes from the Y to the black tank flush?
    JP
    2019 Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 F-250 SRW Lariat Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k Super Slide

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast