User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch slides by itself!

I am towing a 2016 Momentum 350M. Currently I have a Reese 20K sliding hitch in my 2013 Chevy 2500 HD. 6.5' bed so I put the slide hitch in to give me that extra maneuverability. After 6,100 miles in 4 months time I had a very scary incident 20 miles from home! While traveling I84 east in CT on a downhill we had an extreme panic stop, not quite locking the wheels but darn close. We eased off down the hill at 10/15 mph and as we hit the up hill side everyone started to accelerate. I hit the gas and there was a horrendous BOOM! and accompanying lurch of the truck. I stopped and jumped out thinking some one had hit me. After walking around I could find nothing wrong so completed my journey home. When I got home and went to slide the hitch back, I found it had already slid back on its own! Not only did it slide back, it went beyond the rear maneuver position and stopped at the aft rail in the bed. The forward rail was bent up 5/8", the back rail creased the bed of the truck and the tail gate received damage from the pin box striking it. Took some pics, sent them to Reese and of course it was my fault, I had the pins installed incorrectly holding the hitch to the bed rails. So my question is, has anyone else done this? I am so leery of using this hitch I cant tell you! And of course are there any recommendations for what I should replace it with?
    Thanks All!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinbob1978 . . . this is a little disturbing. I have an earlier version (16K) of this same slider hitch. Could you post some pictures of the end result? My hitch has a "safety pin" that is supposed to be inserted in the front left corner when towing. Do you have this pin? I have had a lot of discussion on this forum with powerscol who has the same hitch that you do. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-30867-install I am gong to tag him on this thread for his input.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish there was a safety pin! Actually what I have done is add some steel blocks into the aft location lock point. See if I can take a pic of it. Last picture in this bunch shows the lock pins in what Reese says is the incorrect position.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0378.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	15105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0378.jpg 
Views:	106 
ID:	15105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0379.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	15106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0385.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	15107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0376.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	15108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0386.jpg 
Views:	62 
ID:	15109

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob - his 20K hitch is different. Right now mine is fixed (I have the 20K Titan https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Titan-3...ese+20K+slider, but if I go to the short bed it will be on the round rail slider that it fits https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Titan-3...ese+20K+slider https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Titan-5...ese+20K+slider. I think he has an earlier model or what is called the pro series https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30084-F...ese+20K+slider https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30092-F...ese+20K+slider .

Hope this helps

On edit the Reese rail pins are correct - its how I lock my hitch down, but I do turn them around so the spring clips are on the outside. Its a matter of convenience for me, but either way is good. I don't see a way to lock the slider in position (either model) other than to have the handle in the correct position. Is there a safety pin somewhere I cant see that locks the handle?. I wonder is someone messed with his?

However I hate to say it but Reese may be correct, See note lower right corner page 4 on the instruction for the flat slide rails http://www.reeseprod.com/support/ins...ion/N30092.pdf http://www.reeseprod.com/support/ins...ion/N30048.pdf He may also be missing an added bolt that should be installed in the bed rail.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinbob1978 - After seeing your pictures, I realize that we have different Reese hitches. I have a Titan on a "round tube slider" and you have a Pro Series on a "square tube slider". As powerscol says . . . these are significantly different hitches and slider mechanisms. I don't think that I can offer much advice on what has happened to your hitch to cause it to release.

I don't know what your installation instructions say about the pins that retain the slider to the rails, but my instructions for the Titan round tube slider are very clear that the retaining pins must be the reverse of what you show in your pictures.
    "Pull pin spring clips must be on the outside of base rail as shown. (Spring clips installed on the inside of base rail will not allow Slider to move far enough to lock)" I realize that your hitch is different, but could this be the cause of it not latching securely in the tow position?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cinbob1978 - Rob's slider also has a locking pin by the handle I believe. The earlier models did not from what I can tell in reading up. As for confidence you could look at the Titan series with the round slide rails or I know the B&W slider is also a good set up. It appears you will need to replace your rails though. Hope the tailgate was not damaged too much . Whats important is no one was hurt.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Pullrite Superglide.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one hurt, few more grey hairs though! Reese states those lock pins have to be outside but for the life of me I cant figure out how they get in the way and why after 6,000 miles it finally released! Either wayIm looking at new hitches, has anyone had any experience with the auto slide hitches??

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rails were replaced, used a 4X4 and a bottle jack to push the tailgate back into position so I could close it. Going to look at other hitches for sure...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinbob1978 View Post
    No one hurt, few more grey hairs though! Reese states those lock pins have to be outside but for the life of me I cant figure out how they get in the way and why after 6,000 miles it finally released! Either wayIm looking at new hitches, has anyone had any experience with the auto slide hitches??
    I have a Pullrite Superglide and will recommend it. Have only had to adjust the stop once after the first couple of uses and it's been flawless. Just wipe the rails and plate and respray with WD40 each trip and it works very well with only an occasional bump when backing at certain angles. No worries about contact or forgetting to slide it.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast