Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

RV Owner/Driver Training

As I ride off into the sunset in my webmaster career, and am exploring other options, one thing that keeps coming back is RV Driver training. Would any of you sign up for training that took the applicable Commercial Driving knowledge and transferred and interpreted it into RV Knowledge? Pre-trip, driving, weights, turns, emergency maneuvers, maintenance, etc. Practice at the range, some driving practice, feedback, drone footage, etc.

Would any of you be interested in something like this? What else would you like to see covered?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I’ve been towing most of my adult life. We are on our fourth RV, I tow a lot of trailers for our business and do the majority of my own trailer maintenance - but I am not the normal RV person. So my short answer to your question is yes. We have a relatively large motorcycle/ATV dealership near our shop and they are packed each weekend with cones in the parking lot conducting motorcycle operation/safety classes. It seems reasonable that there is a market for this type of service.

There is definitely a need for that type of class. If someone has driven nothing but a half ton truck and towed small trailers the majority of the time and he or she purchases a one ton truck/large fifth wheel or a large motor home training would certainly be beneficial. An educated RVer will be a safe RVer, will be less dependent on others for minor maintenance items, will be more able to handle roadside emergencies and will be less aggravating to those with whom they share the road.

Good luck I hope you can make it work out.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be a great idea. More and more people are getting into RVing for the first time. I don’t think the dealers give enough information in this area.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We followed a solitude for a few miles in Phoenix yesterday. The driver spent 90% of their time with the FW curb tires a foot in the adjoining lane. Other drivers were giving him a wide berth. This person needs your training badly.

Jim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

I think this is a great idea, but you will need at lease 1 or 2 of these in each state. There are way to many people that do not know what they are doing and they all do not live in NM. One thing I would add is in the driving part have them follow you in a car or there own rig and watch how your rig reacts to turns and what you must do to navigate those turns and traffic. This would be beneficial to see from an angle you usually do not see.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    I think this would be a great business opportunity, and like others have said it is all about location. When my Teenagers were earning their learners permit, I signed them up for this class (see link below). This guy's business model is to travel around the Southeast utilizing NASCAR speedway parking lots (since they are empty 50 weekends of the year) and provide driver training. If the student driver passes there are some discount incentives on the insurance side of things. Maybe this model might work for you if you are willing to travel, and considering you are a fellow RV'r I would think the travel part would be the best of both worlds (making money while traveling).

http://www.accidentavoidanceworkshops.org/

I have been towing most of my life and if you came close enough I would certainly sign up as I am sure I could still learn a few things.
    Last edited by TENN22; 03-20-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: typo

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Would any of you be interested in something like this? What else would you like to see covered?
    My wife and I took a similar class from https://www.rvschool.com/ and it was well worth it. You might consider hooking up with them as they don't have nearly enough locations.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m down in Florida and would love lessons on towing a fifth wheel. It would seem that Florida would be an ideal location for a school since it appears every RV owner heads down here sooner or later.( lately it appears they all arrived at once.[emoji23])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a great idea and a great business opportunity. I would have welcomed a class like this. When I bought my TT two years ago, I had never even camped, let alone tow a travel trailer. In fact, my first towing experience was leaving the dealer's lot. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of confidence. I've learned a lot in my short time, but would still take a class like this if it was offered. I don't think I'm alone in this.
    Why don't the dealers offer something like this? It seems like it would be a natural fit for them. I know General RV offers RV seminars on a variety of topics, but I've never seen anything on "how to tow." I've also seen some interesting things on the road, being passed or following other campers. I also make note and hope I don't do some of the things I've seen.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 4x4 world, we learned a lot of this from our friends. I've been towing various things for close to 15 years and picked up all the basics from the more experienced folks in my group. I've towed a 16' bumper pull car hauler, an Army M416 (think pickup bed trailer), a 26' bumper pull car hauler, a 24' gooseneck car hauler, a 28' travel trailer, and a 30' 5th wheel.

I know the RV community doesnt go out in groups as much as the 4x4 community does, but it's still up to those of us with more experience to share with others. If you're at a campground and see someone struggling with backing in, go help them. That's a lot easier than seeing someone who doesnt know what they're doing on the highway, but it'll help.

For me, the biggest thing is take it slow, zero distractions, and watch your mirrors. Take your trailer to a big open parking lot and spend time doing different maneuvers to see how your trailer reacts. Then get on the open road and practice. Dont choose the 405 at rush hour, find a nice open stretch of highway with little traffic and get comfortable with it. Being calm, confident, and comfortable will go a LONG way in towing success.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast