User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have had a MOR/ryde IS installed in the last year, please step inside...

I'm doing a little comparative research for friends of ours who have gone full-time in their FR Cardinal Luxury 3350RLX. After putting a fair amount of miles behind them, they are seriously considering hauling to MOR/ryde for an IS install. This all started with wanting the convenience of disc brakes because they are adjusting the drums more than they'd care to and the husband has a reconstructed shoulder and some lousy discs in his back. Then after hitting some miserable roads through a run in the south that caused things to shake, rattle, and spill out, they really like the idea of a smoother ride since their target is to get 8 years out of the Cardinal full-timing.

So, they talked to Brian at MOR/ryde about a 7K system with disc brakes. They actually asked for a 7K with an upgrade to the 8K Kodiak discs since it gives them larger bearings and can run oil hubs. Brian said they cannot really do that but could give them an 8K system with softer rubber to achieve the same effect.

Here are the questions:

1) If you have had a 7K or 8K tandem installed in the last year, what did you pay? If you want to share via PM, that's ok! The ask is because the quoted cost seemed pretty steep compared to what I read folks indicating in posts that I could find from 2017-2018 time period, and the delta to 8K seem to be price of parts + 50% (I've been gathering the parts for my disc conversion so am astutely aware of the pricing on the brake components), even though there's no more labor involved installing the heavier setup.

2) Anyone actually get a 7K IS setup with the 8K rotors and oil hubs? I cannot fathom why they say this is a no-go since their standard installation is to swap over stock drum set-ups, which means the spindles are machined for the standard bearings. Thus, should be a bolt-on to use 8K Kodiaks on a 7K IS!

3) This one is my curiosity and our friends didn't think to ask, but with their air hitch, pin box, and truck height the best we have been able to adjust is nose high such that they have 5.5" clear at the tailgate and 6.5" clear at the further forward over the bed rails with the truck riding level. Can MOR/ryde give that needed extra height during the install? I'm assuming they fabricate the framework pretty much per install to fit as needed, but not sure.

TIA!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have MORRyde IS and brakes yet but my Solitude 310GK-R is at their factory as I write this so I can answer a couple of your questions.

I was quoted $6,899 for tandem 7k IS "axles" and disc brakes. As for ride height, I asked to have my 310GK-R lifted 2". I think I remember Brian telling me that was the highest they would go but I'm not sure about that. He did say it's common for folks to ask for 1-2" of lift. I'd love to have oil hubs but didn't ask about that.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend had his Open Range 3X adapted to MorRyde IS. When it came back to him, it was sitting at 13' 9" when level.

Obviously, they hadn't measured overall height when doing the install. They picked it up and took it back to Indiana and reworked the suspension. Now he is at 13' 6", but slightly nose high.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming mine will be 13' 8". As much as I don't like any more height for the RV, I'd rather have that to deal with than 4" of bed rail clearance with these new trucks.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to call Gary Wheeler at Mor/ryde 574-370-9135. Gary does all the RV shows and is a straight shooter on set up and pricing. Tell him Red with Grand Design referred him or just Grand Design.

When they get to Mor/ryde the first thing they do is weigh you and look at the ride height...that's where the decisions will be made on what to install, so tell him to have his normal "road weight" when he pulls in. It would be best if he knew the height of all the AC's before he gets there.

Red

P.S. What they did to mine is 8k hubs with light springs. I was border line 7k or 8k weight. My upgrade was $400 but that was in 2014.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/27/2020, 7K with brakes on our new 2020 Solitude 310GK-R, $6,292.60 + $347.50 Indiana sales tax = $6,640.10. This was with a 10% winter parts discount (their volumes are down during the winter months).

I will add that, four years ago when we were there having the same thing done on our Reflection, there were three rigs there having the Nev-R-Lube oil bearings replaced with Timkens due to repeated failures of the Nev-R-Lubes. We went with good ole Timkens again this time, too.

BTW, installing the MORryde IS doesn't necessarily add height to the trailer. I asked for 2" added height on the Reflection because the truck we had at the time was tall. I asked for, and received, stock height on the Solitude so there wouldn't be problems with the auto-leveling system (strut stroke) or MORryde steps. They'll install to your request(s) within engineering safety envelopes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone! Looks like a chunk of the difference is prime season pricing versus that winter 10% break.
    @el Rojo - I passed Gary's information along to our friends. THANK YOU!
    @Second Chance - Thank you for the details from your experience!!! I do want to make a comment for others who read this thread in the future. Nev-r-lubes are different than oil bath bearings. I personally would never run Nev-r-lubes, as manufactured currently, on trailers with real weight and long hauls. However, oil bath are the norm for heavy trailers, common to 9K axles and above, and are much easier to maintain.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm assuming mine will be 13' 8". As much as I don't like any more height for the RV, I'd rather have that to deal with than 4" of bed rail clearance with these new trucks.
    In most states you will be over legal height, and would require a placard.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    In most states you will be over legal height, and would require a placard.
    Most of the states out west (where I live) and all the states I travel in are 14' so it's not a problem for me. I'm still waiting to hear what my final height is from MORryde after adding the IS system.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Most of the states out west (where I live) and all the states I travel in are 14' so it's not a problem for me. I'm still waiting to hear what my final height is from MORryde after adding the IS system.
    As I said in my earlier post, unless you asked for something different, MORryde will maintain the stock height on the trailer. In no case should it be over the 13' 6" standard.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast