User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory Foam Mattress, now the bed won't stay up for access below

Yes, we love our memory foam mattresses, but they are heavy. We never even slept on our factory supplied mattress, we had the dealer swap out our mattress from the trade in and we are happy campers.

However, as on prior campers we've owned, the gas struts (on the plywood mattress panel) are installed in a position to accommodate the lighter mattress. My fix on our previous 3 campers is the same as this one. Remove the struts and remount both the tops and bottoms of the struts 4" closer to the foot of the bed. This increases the leverage for the struts and works great. Even with all my wife's decorating stuff on the bed, it stays up just fine. No more one handed access!

No, there is no need to change out the struts. Just move them!
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go for the low tech 3 step solution. Lift bed , insert stick, bed stays up until the stick is removed .
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    Yes, we love our memory foam mattresses, but they are heavy. We never even slept on our factory supplied mattress, we had the dealer swap out our mattress from the trade in and we are happy campers.

However, as on prior campers we've owned, the gas struts (on the plywood mattress panel) are installed in a position to accommodate the lighter mattress. My fix on our previous 3 campers is the same as this one. Remove the struts and remount both the tops and bottoms of the struts 4" closer to the foot of the bed. This increases the leverage for the struts and works great. Even with all my wife's decorating stuff on the bed, it stays up just fine. No more one handed access!

Thanks! This couldn't be more timely. We just received our Costco memory foam mattress and it's weight is much more than the factory installed polyester fiber in a bag.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Thanks! This couldn't be more timely. We just received our Costco memory foam mattress and it's weight is much more than the factory installed polyester fiber in a bag.
    Our 311BHs has memory foam from GD. I thought they were standard.....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I go for the low tech 3 step solution. Lift bed , insert stick, bed stays up until the stick is removed .
    I gotta second this option !!!!
    Although, I went for an optional adjustable stick. I think the cost might have been around five or six bucks.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Left The Driveway EasyRider2019's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory foam mattress

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post

We use a spring rod with rubber ends. It's about 3/4 - 1" in diameter to make sure it doesn't bend or snap. The rubber ends keeps is from slipping out of place. Works great!
    Gary & Dorie
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 397TH
    2019 Ram 3500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I have done that!
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Our 311BHs has memory foam from GD. I thought they were standard.....
    ???? I have had three Reflections now, and none of them came with Memory foam mattresses. Maybe it is a option if you order the camper?
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaper than a stick, use your spouse. I lift the bed, she reaches for whatever it is she needs, I lower the bed.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a win for the "low tech/low cost" solutions !

I recall some posts over the years (Rob - Cate & Rob) replacing the existing struts with stronger ones. He re-enforced the mounting areas as well. Seems there were a couple others who simply installed a second set of struts.

I suspect it will not be long and the bed will have an electric remote operated lift system as part of the One Control or using your smart phone.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast