User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic 12 cu ft on propane - does it use electricity at all?

We just got the PG&E warning that we may lose power for up to several days. If need be I was thinking of moving some of our refrigerated goods from the house refrigerator to the trailer. Obviously the Dometic would be running on propane. Does it draw electrical current and how much? I have two lead acid batteries in the trailer but I'm not sure how long they'd last without a constant AC power supply from the house.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The propane fridges in our RVs do use 12v power when running on propane. It is not a lot, and you will likely be fine if that is your only power draw. If you have a battery tender type solar panel, it would probably keep up during the day. There are also 12v fans, depending on your ambient temperature where you are at, they can start up and run when the fridge is working as well, drawing a little more power. If you have a DC clamp meter, shut everything off in the camper except the refrigerator, and see what your current draw is from the battery to know for sure.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    We just got the PG&E warning that we may lose power for up to several days. If need be I was thinking of moving some of our refrigerated goods from the house refrigerator to the trailer. Obviously the Dometic would be running on propane. Does it draw electrical current and how much? I have two lead acid batteries in the trailer but I'm not sure how long they'd last without a constant AC power supply from the house.
    Lexx, plug in the trailer now to top off the batteries before they shut off the power at midnight. That's what I am doing! That will buy you some extra time with better charged batteries.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Lexx, plug in the trailer now to top off the batteries before they shut off the power at midnight. That's what I am doing! That will buy you some extra time with better charged batteries.
    Thanks. I've done that. I actually started up the fridge in there so that it's already cold.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    The propane fridges in our RVs do use 12v power when running on propane. It is not a lot, and you will likely be fine if that is your only power draw. If you have a battery tender type solar panel, it would probably keep up during the day. There are also 12v fans, depending on your ambient temperature where you are at, they can start up and run when the fridge is working as well, drawing a little more power. If you have a DC clamp meter, shut everything off in the camper except the refrigerator, and see what your current draw is from the battery to know for sure.

Jim
    Great idea on the clamp meter but I don't have one unfortunately. I figure worse comes to worse, I'll hook the truck up to the trailer and let the engine run for a bit.