User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flagstaff to Cottonwood (Sedona area)

Continuing our trip planning for next spring, How is the route 89A I believe from Flagstaff to Cottonwood though Sedona. Sedona campgrounds are already full so we booked into Cottonwood. It looks like the conventional super safe route would be I 17, but 89A sounds much more interesting. Gas truck pulling a 27RL.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tortise; 11-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    89A is not a suggested route for RVs. Some folks may say otherwise but there are numerous switchbacks and more than one steep hill. Most folks drive it on motorcycles or autos to enjoy the route.

Lots to see and do in that area. Enjoy it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    89A is not a suggested route for RVs. Some folks may say otherwise but there are numerous switchbacks and more than one steep hill. Most folks drive it on motorcycles or autos to enjoy the route.

Lots to see and do in that area. Enjoy it.
    Agree, 89A is a wonderful drive, but better done without a trailer. The switchbacks are very tight, so I-17 is the better and safest choice.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everybody above (and I'm the guy always willing to be the first to try it). I've rode and drove 89A many times.....steep and twisty. I'm pretty sure the restriction is 40' or 50' over all length. I would not try it with anything that did not have an engine brake of some kind.

It's a beautiful ride on a motorcycle (or in a car or truck) but best be left to the single vehicle on a nice sunny day. If it's summer time, be sure to stop at Slide Rock State Park to see everybody sliding down the rocks in Oak Creek.

P/S Camp Verde is another nice little community with RV parks about 25 miles south of Sedona.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think you’ve all convinced me to bypass 89a with the trailer, we’ve got 4 nights in cottonwood so should have time to explore by truck.

To bad we couldn’t swing a Momentum, something tells me I’ll regret not having the bike along.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart move.

Yep, there's some good riding around that area and Oak Creek Canyon is really nice up to the top and back down to Sedona.

Let me know if you make it down by the Tucson area. We just bought a winter home here but will still be traveling in the summer months.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Continuing our trip planning for next spring, How is the route 89A I believe from Flagstaff to Cottonwood though Sedona. Sedona campgrounds are already full so we booked into Cottonwood. It looks like the conventional super safe route would be I 17, but 89A sounds much more interesting. Gas truck pulling a 27RL.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Tortise, I just came back from there this week. Coming from Flagstaff, the safe direction is I 17 South to exit #293 , which is Montezuma Well. That is the preferred road access via Cornville Road to Cottonwood as per instructions from Deadhorse SP. I did come down #89A from Flag through Sedona. I am here to write this, so yes, I did survive. The other posters here are right and it is not advisable for larger rigs. The highway sign says no vehicles over 50'. Not big rig friendly but nothing that we are not used to in the Western mountains. Coming from the top of Flagstaff downhill is very scenic. The other issue is that it is not only narrow all the way but dumps you right into Sedona in the thick of things, traffic, people, tight roundabouts, etc and currently, is under construction. the time difference is minimal. As far as driving it, we were going so slow due to traffic and curves, that the exhaust brake was not a factor, it was the needed low gearing in order to stay off the brakes. Not what I call "white knuckle" but road signs are accurate, stay out with the trailer and go Interstate 17, to #293 .

We stayed at Deadhorse as stated, which was a referral from Tuscon Jim. This is a beautiful park and highly recommended for others reading this. There is also a new rv resort nearby near Tuzigoot called Rain Spirit RV which looked nice from the street. It's on Broadway, basically just past DHSP to the West. I did not want to be in Sedona to stay, only to visit as we went to Jerome, Camp Verde, Tuzigoot, Montezuma Castle, etc.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cottonwood and Camp Verde are great base camps for the activities around the area. As others have said, take I-17 and not 89A. If you are looking for something a little more quiet, check out the Zane Grey RV Resort in Camp Verde. Dead Horse State Park is another great place.

Find your spot, unhook and spend the time you have exploring in your truck. It will be a lot more fun.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flagstaff to Cottonwood (Sedona area)

Gold and JC, thanks for your comments. I did book a spot at Rain Spirit in/ nearCottonwood so we can explore from there. I would probably be more aggravated pulling through Sedona than afraid of 89A as we’ve driven our share of mountain roads, but have nothing to prove so the safe route it will be.
    I hear good things about Prescott and Jerome as well.
    Yikes, Deadhorse State Park looks great, don’t know how I missed it in earlier planning and it has availability. Tempted to switch.

Last edited by tortise; 11-25-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few minutes from Cottonwood is Cornville where you will find the Manzanita Restaurant. We eat there every time we are in the area, it is fantastic. A short trip over to McGuireville (now called Lake Montezuma) you will find Jim's Trading Post right as you get off the interstate and approach the gas station on the right. A great place to stop and Jim buys old native jewelry by the bucket and resells it for way better prices than you will find in Gallup. He has about an acre of cool stuff. It's a regular stop for us as well now. Take a drive up to Montezuma Castle while you're there.A bit of Trivia, singer and inventor of the "Guit-Steel" Guitar, Junior Brown is from Cottonwood. (see link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SIoK2YFLI
    Last edited by bigb56; 11-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast