Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laminate Countertop advice?

Long story short or new Imagine XLS has one of those newer rolled edge laminate countertops. Found a chip in it (from factory or dealer), maybe 1/4". Contacted GD and they suggested they replace the entire countertop. While gracious, I'm a bit concerned since it's got they kitchen sink in it etc., Just seems like amputating a leg to fix a cut that needs stitches?

Any advice on potential repair compounds or alternatives here?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a solid surface not laminate in the pictures. Being new I'd let GD replace the countertop. Most dealers should be able to do that.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WhittleBurner my 2020 2600rb has the same type of rolled edge counter top that @FlakKnight talks about. It is a laminate top that has been rolled/stretched over the edge so it appears to be a solid top.

I would think a small dab of epoxy would do the trick. Mine seems like some type of plastic that looks like marble. Depending on where the nick was (for me) either white, gray or clear. Just wouldn't want an epoxy that dried with a yellow tint.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    Long story short or new Imagine XLS has one of those newer rolled edge laminate countertops. Found a chip in it (from factory or dealer), maybe 1/4". Contacted GD and they suggested they replace the entire countertop. While gracious, I'm a bit concerned since it's got they kitchen sink in it etc., Just seems like amputating a leg to fix a cut that needs stitches?

Any advice on potential repair compounds or alternatives here?
    One problem with the laminate countertop has to do with the substrate. Laminate substrates are not known for being water resistant. If you don't replace the countertop, I feel that water will migrate into the substrate and will swell up and create a real problem.

Laminates are water resistant as long as the laminate is not damaged.

Personally, I would accept the replacement countertop.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    That looks like a solid surface not laminate in the pictures. Being new I'd let GD replace the countertop. Most dealers should be able to do that.
    ^^^ This ^^^^ If GD is willing to replace the counter top, I would let them.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree - replace it. You won't regret it!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree with the last few posts especially if it's just a superficial nick that doesn't go all the way through. I took a look at my countertop this evening. Not only is the sink installed but the back splash is installed on top of the counter top. That entire silicone joint would need to be cut out along with the sink silicone. If the dealer was really good it might come apart and go back together properly. If the dealer left that repair to a not so competent worker you could have more future water damage.

If it was me and the nick didn't go all the way through the laminate I'd just fill it in and move on. Of course I am more confident in my repair ability than the repair ability of who ever the dealer assigns to make the swap.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I don't agree with the last few posts especially if it's just a superficial nick that doesn't go all the way through. I took a look at my countertop this evening. Not only is the sink installed but the back splash is installed on top of the counter top. That entire silicone joint would need to be cut out along with the sink silicone. If the dealer was really good it might come apart and go back together properly. If the dealer left that repair to a not so competent worker you could have more future water damage.

If it was me and the nick didn't go all the way through the laminate I'd just fill it in and move on. Of course I am more confident in my repair ability than the repair ability of who ever the dealer assigns to make the swap.
    This is my worry too, more potential damage or a poor reinstall over a tiny chip. I'm just not sure how you repair this stuff, it's very plastic feeling to the touch, almost like those plastic cutting boards. Nothing like typical Formica.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    This is my worry too, more potential damage or a poor reinstall over a tiny chip. I'm just not sure how you repair this stuff, it's very plastic feeling to the touch, almost like those plastic cutting boards. Nothing like typical Formica.
    Any dealer can replace a counter top, I would have it done as it is a new RV. Just inspect the work when it's done and don't accept it if it doesn't look right. Pretty pathetic when we have to be concerned a dealer can't replace a counter top without screwing it up but I know where that comes from.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold