User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I am convinced that most divorces in the RV community are caused from backing-up.
    Along the same lines here, but this isn't a Fail story.
    Wife and I had gone to storage yard to get our trailer. Daughter #2 and baby were in the back seat.
    So we hook up no problem and pull it home. We back into the driveway with our own set of signals and directions, no problem.
    Daughter states what we just did should be part of pre-marital counseling; communicating while hooking up a camper, driving, and backing in without ending up screaming at each other.
    Now some backing in efforts haven't gone so good, but what she said that day was cute and we've remembered we can do this. Together.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked around heavy equipment for many years and learned to never put myself between something that could move and a stationary object and to avoid being in the path of possible contact from moving equipment. Learned that real good when I got hit by a backhoe bucket because I was in the swing radius. Took about a 10ft free flight but no real injury. It can be hard to impress this idea upon someone you love who has spent their time in an office environment.

We use walkies, cell phone and hand signals. If I can't see her, I stop and ask for her position. If I have to, I get out and look. Sometimes we have to have a discussion about where to stand, what signals to use, etc. BTW, it's very important to agree upon hand signals. These discussions are usually where my apology card comes into play I don't really have one, but might be a good idea.

Marcy, I'm so glad you came out of this OK. Not only was that a hard lesson for you, I'll bet it rocked Gary to his core.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why no one heard about this before. Took a long time to get over it. Just hope now that it will help someone else from getting hurt.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WhittleBurner,
    So sorry to hear your near tragic event but I for one am certainly glad you shared. I just constructed a small trailer to carry my new side by side and am unable to see it with the camper on the truck so the DW is back there helping me hooking, parking, unhooking etc. Another valuable lesson learned on this forum and I thank you very much for the information.

Best regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I am convinced that most divorces in the RV community are caused from backing-up.
    I showed this to my wife once. She laughed and said, "But we do pretty good."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.1487905758_bho5.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	14534
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Marcy & Gary . . . Ouch! . . . How come we are just hearing about this now?

Rob
    Beats the heck out of me, if you had made it to the first rally you might have heard it. I was fresh out of PT for my wrist then.

We had been trailering for at least 15 years so we did know better. Also we were new to towing the 5th wheel and still getting used to how it reac
    ts , I think it was only the 4th time out with it.
    It only only takes a few seconds of a lapse of thinking safety for things like this to happen. Unfortunately we both had the lapse at the same time.
    A few months later my SIL got her leg pinned by their jeep rolling away as they unhooked it from their motorhome. It was heading towards a parked vehicle and she ran after it. Lucky for her only a few small bruises, she then understood how fast one can react and not stop to think about where you're headed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I showed this to my wife once. She laughed and said, "But we do pretty good."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.1487905758_bho5.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	14534
    Unfortunately I'm going to need one of those laminated cards...(gotta work on that).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Beats the heck out of me, if you had made it to the first rally you might have had heard it.
    That’s because we didn’t join the family until year two . Looking forward to catching up with you guys in a few days for Rally 5.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    One time I ran over our little deck I made because it was on the passenger side and my wife wasn't saying stop on the walkie-talkie....apparently the battery died and she was saying stop. She thought I was ignoring her so she she was just as frustrated. Now when she isn't actively giving me direction, she keeps saying something on the radio (e.g "keep coming" or "beeper beeper" or anything to ensure we have communication) as soon as I stop hearing anything I immediately stop.
    We have given up on FRS walkie-talkies. Used infrequently, batteries unreliable, interference not infrequent. Now we use cell phones.

My wife would rather let me die than let her cell phone die, and I'm good about keeping mine charged. Since they're used constantly their batteries are more than up to the task of backing into a spot even if it takes 15 minutes. With me driving, sometimes it does. And my phone connects to my truck, so I can drive with both hands.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, my walk of shame:

Second day on the road, having left Canada for Florida on our first-ever trailer trip, and we're going to stay in a hotel.

It's been a long day, it's very dark, it's raining, temp is 31F, the driveway to the hotel is very steep with a sharp right at the top, and I'm wondering if it's slippery. (If anyone can suggest more excuses I could use, please PM me with them.)

I make the turn a bit fast and anxious and then slow (fortunately) when the truck is up on level driveway but I feel the trailer start to resist. There was a speed bump there so I apply more fuel, but it doesn't budge. My wife sticks her head out the window and asks, "Is that telephone pole part of our trailer?"

The awning was curved enough that we didn't want to try using it. Getting it replaced in Florida during winter months? No chance unless you plan the damage eight weeks in advance. During the months away my wife said how much she'd like to have an awning. About 30 times.

Lessons:

- Making miles is not the most important thing. Don't drive when you're tired.

- Don't just look at the road / driveway surface when maneuvering, look carefully at everything around you and note potential risks

- If something doesn't feel right stop immediately. Get out and look around.

- Marry a sweet gentle woman who would never dream of making fun of you.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast