User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent solar motion sensing light

Our Solitude has a switch inside the rig labelled 'DS Floodlight.' The switch operates a large light mounted on the patio side. There is no lighting on the driver's side of the rig. Not sure if GD just labelled the switch wrong or messed up and mounted a light meant for the driver's side on the patio side.

So, I am looking for a solar powered motion sensing LED light to mount on the driver's side. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good light. What I have seen at Lowes and HD appears junky to me.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Our Solitude has a switch inside the rig labelled 'DS Floodlight.' The switch operates a large light mounted on the patio side. There is no lighting on the driver's side of the rig. Not sure if GD just labelled the switch wrong or messed up and mounted a light meant for the driver's side on the patio side.

So, I am looking for a solar powered motion sensing LED light to mount on the driver's side. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good light. What I have seen at Lowes and HD appears junky to me.
    I think these were the ones recommended by @DaveMatthewsBand. I put them on my Amazon list but haven't purchased them.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073VJZG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Decent solar motion sensing light

Yea do a search, there’s several threads on this topic including the one I made that was mentioned above...

Motion-activated Exterior LED Light mod
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've tried this type and like them. They don't get in way especially if you have dog on leash. This is to show you what they look like; do your research and get good brand if you decide to go with this style; these get good ratings. Got ours from Harbor Freight.

https://www.amazon.com/Siedinlar-Dri...GTWYY9PWT1BNVN
    Last edited by Buckskin; 07-23-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DS means door side. ODS means off door side (driver's side)
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    DS means door side. ODS means off door side (driver's side)
    OK. Grand Design uses some strange descriptions. DS has always meant Driver's Side in every other RV I have owned. Also, since there is another patio light (labelled porch light) on the patio side, why would they not have put a light on the driver's side? Dumping tanks, other utility stuff in the dark is not good.

Anyway, my solar light will take care of it. Thanks, again, for the explanation.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Solitude has a switch inside the rig labelled 'DS Floodlight.' The switch operates a large light mounted on the patio side. There is no lighting on the driver's side of the rig. Not sure if GD just labelled the switch wrong or messed up and mounted a light meant for the driver's side on the patio side. So, I am looking for a solar powered motion sensing LED light to mount on the driver's side. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good light. What I have seen at Lowes and HD appears junky to me.
    Do you spend most of your time boondocking far from others as @DaveMatthewsBand does, or in a park?

If it's the latter, one thing to consider is the effect on your driver's-side neighbors if your lights are coming on every time they or anything moves on their park side patio. You may make fewer friends after you install the lights. For example if a cat moves through at 3:00am and your lights blare into my bedroom window, we won't be friends.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Do you spend most of your time boondocking far from others as @DaveMatthewsBand does, or in a park?

If it's the latter, one thing to consider is the effect on your driver's-side neighbors if your lights are coming on every time they or anything moves on their park side patio. You may make fewer friends after you install the lights. For example if a cat moves through at 3:00am and your lights blare into my bedroom window, we won't be friends.
    You can turn the lights off, so they don't work at all, when you're staying "in town".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

I did consider that very thing. Fortunately, we are on a permanent site in a large section of an RV park in Myrtle Beach, SC. They have 850 RV sites for transient camping and 2,500 permanent/leased sites for homes, mobile homes and RV's. There is an alley between me and my driver's side neighbor who has a house with windows on the side facing my rig. Even so, I plan to mount the light low on the coach so as to provide lighting near my utility connections, while also offering some security when we are not there.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ...I am looking for a solar powered motion sensing LED light to mount on the driver's side.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good light. What I have seen at Lowes and HD appears junky to me.
    I am using some motion-activated solar-powered LED lights.
    They haven't budged at all and still work perfectly after almost a year of full-timing.

Here's the link:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...568#post201568

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast