User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soft hose leak behind Nautilus - Quick fix

Got the dreaded leak where a soft hose connects to, I believe, the pex connector.

I am looking for a potential quick fix, with the long term plan to replace/rebuild it all ala Cate and Rob style.

I thought I had read here on the forum that one can remove the pex clamp on the soft hose, and use a small worm hose clamp to tighten it, but I can't find that thread. So, was I dreaming or is that a reasonable short term solution?

If I recall, my leak is on one of the hot water lines (red pex) connected to a soft hose. It is clearly coming from the soft hose side of the connector.

Am out trying to enjoy the holidays, and really don't want to rebuild the whole thing my last few days of vacation.

Thanks in advance for any quick fix ideas.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Got the dreaded leak where a soft hose connects to, I believe, the pex connector.

I am looking for a potential quick fix, with the long term plan to replace/rebuild it all ala Cate and Rob style.

I thought I had read here on the forum that one can remove the pex clamp on the soft hose, and use a small worm hose clamp to tighten it, but I can't find that thread. So, was I dreaming or is that a reasonable short term solution?

If I recall, my leak is on one of the hot water lines (red pex) connected to a soft hose. It is clearly coming from the soft hose side of the connector.

Am out trying to enjoy the holidays, and really don't want to rebuild the whole thing my last few days of vacation.

Thanks in advance for any quick fix ideas.

Mike
    I would remove the soft hose from the Nautilus connect a short piece of pex to the fitting on the Nautilus and then connect the pex to the soft hose with this connector.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ter/1001012681

The polybutelene had a slightly larger inner diameter similar to the soft hose and this makes a really good adapter. I used this fitting when I added my under sink water filter and went from soft pipe to pex. Clamped it to the soft pipe with the worm gear clamp but could have used a 1/2 inch cinch clamp similar to the pex clamps or the clamps in the connector kit if I had the right tool.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob

Heading to HD in a few mins. Looking at it again today, there is pex from nautilus to a T connector. From there it's all soft hose, even back to the hot water handle on the outside shower connection.

Gonna pick up a few of the connectors you linked, and hopefully they make a T. Probably pick up some pex and a tool as well, and rebuild that hot water connection. Hoping that is the only one leaking. It is certainly the major leak. I put a bowl underneath and got a good two cups of water over night.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 12-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try just adding a hose clamp to the existing clamp to get by for now. It worked on mine for quite a while until I fixed it more permanently.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up almost rebuilding everything behind the Nautilus panel. Still have a couple of soft hoses that I had to replace the pex clamp with a worm screw clamp. Pretty much just the soft hose going to the pump and two coming off the city inlet. I will replace those when I get home. They used a lot of soft hose and it seemed like every one was leaking or weeping. Took awhile and missed a lunch get together, but it needed to be done. All dry now.

Rob - local HD here did not have the connector you showed. They didn't even have a slot for it.

My first time dealing with pex.. was pretty easy. Expensive to get started, as I spent the $62 on the tool, because I couldn't wait for Amazon. Oh well, such is live. Have the tool now and a bunch of T's, elbow's and straight connectors.

Mike

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Ended up almost rebuilding everything behind the Nautilus panel. Still have a couple of soft hoses that I had to replace the pex clamp with a worm screw clamp. Pretty much just the soft hose going to the pump and two coming off the city inlet. I will replace those when I get home. They used a lot of soft hose and it seemed like every one was leaking or weeping. Took awhile and missed a lunch get together, but it needed to be done. All dry now.

Rob - local HD here did not have the connector you showed. They didn't even have a slot for it.

My first time dealing with pex.. was pretty easy. Expensive to get started, as I spent the $62 on the tool, because I couldn't wait for Amazon. Oh well, such is live. Have the tool now and a bunch of T's, elbow's and straight connectors.

Mike
    Sorry to hear that you ended up this deep into it. Should not be like this when you spend this much money on these things. Surprised that they didn't have the connector at your Home Depot. Wondering if this is just a Canadian Home Depot thing.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Walaby Hi Mike
    You have discovered the big problem with the soft hose to Pex fitting . . . once these connections are disturbed (usually by working on something else in the same area) they begin to drip leak.

@Calbar Hi Rob
    I did not discover the Pex to hose connector that you found. I was also shopping Canadian HD . I ended up making the same temporary adapter from from the OE hose to a short piece of Pex to the OE Pex fitting, using two brass fittings. (See attached) The piece that you found would definitely be easier.

Eventually I replaced all the soft hose . . . and have not had a plumbing leak in the 2 or 3 years since I did that.

(another Canadian) Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2295.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Canadians have all the cool stuff

Yeah, maybe that adapter is a Canada only thing. I'll check again when I get home at the HD as well as Lowes.

Checked this AM. I still have a small weeper somewhere. I've minimized the number of soft hoses, so should be easier to find. After about 18 hours there was a dime sized drop of water. So, not horrible, but annoying more than anything. It's possible it was residual from all the work.. will have to check again in a while.

I think my spring time project may be to take on the complete transfer over to Pex. Not really looking forward to that, but also not looking forward to another soft hose problem, in a worse location, in the middle of a camping trip.

Mike

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I found it: SharkBite 1/2-in dia Brass PEX Polybutylene Adapter Crimp Fitting
    Model # UC4008LFZ
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182965
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gbkims that is the one that I used.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast