User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Thank you for all of the feedback and real world experience. I had hoped that purchasing the ProPride hitch would allow me to comfortably keep the RAM 2500 SRW but after a year of pulling it just makes "safety sense" to me to change to a RAM 3500 DRW.

No regrets buying the ProPride, it was a "noticeable" difference between it and the Equalizer hitch when it comes to sway and turning. But heading out full time on the road in a couple of months it just made sense to make the change now.

I truly appreciate all of the members with DRW that have commented and helped me understand the "piece of mind" they get from pulling with a DRW.
    If you plan on full timing and pulling a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2500 lbs or more...the DRW will offer better stability and safety on those 500 mile days pulling. The 8' beds offer more usable space and the long wheelbase will give a better ride. Larger fuel tanks too! Biggest challenge is using it when empty for running errands or sightseeing. Parking in tight areas can be a problem sometimes. Lucky for me I drove tanker trucks in the 1970's and 80's in tight areas so these campers are a lot easier even at 72 yrs old!!! Happy Motoring!!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be afraid of driving a DRW. Due to a recent - and unexpected - job change, I have now have a 200 mile daily commute from Naples, FL to Miami, FL across Alligator Alley (I-75). I use my F350 DRW as my daily driver (the other car is a Nissan Armada gasser, which gets about the same gas mileage). I park in parking garages, in office parking lots, - you name it. It fits by backing in. You'll quickly learn your "perimeter". Once you do, it's no more difficult than any other pickup truck.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Don't be afraid of driving a DRW. Due to a recent - and unexpected - job change, I have now have a 200 mile daily commute from Naples, FL to Miami, FL across Alligator Alley (I-75). I use my F350 DRW as my daily driver (the other car is a Nissan Armada gasser, which gets about the same gas mileage). I park in parking garages, in office parking lots, - you name it. It fits by backing in. You'll quickly learn your "perimeter". Once you do, it's no more difficult than any other pickup truck.
    You're correct on being able to use a DRW for a daily driver. You get accustomed to it fairly quickly.

Whoa! 200 mile daily commute, you should look into a helicopter or something similar [emoji6].

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Jim I agree about backing in. Doing that it is much easier to get the truck straight without going back and forth too many times. Backing in also makes it possible to get into the parking space where pulling in frontwards you may not get in. Then when it comes time to leave it is easier to see if someone is driving down the lane. It also makes it possible to pull out without having to back up a few times to be able to make that turn.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will say I was really impressed with how smooth it drives and how much better the turning radius is then the 2500
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23984
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Will say I was really impressed with how smooth it drives and how much better the turning radius is then the 2500
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23984
    Congratulations! It's a real beauty. Mine also rides more comfortable and has a much better turning radius than my F250.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Congratulations! It's a real beauty. Mine also rides more comfortable and has a much better turning radius than my F250.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Thanks Kevin....been a pretty mild winter, hopefully it stays that way. Happy Holidays to you and the family.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ll, I suppose this is a tangential post to this topic, but it’s equally valid. I just dropped $1,400 on 6 new tires - about $500 more than I would have paid for an SRW. I bought these Continental TerrainContact H/T
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I feel like people who say a DRW is a "rough ride" are comparing it to something other than the same/similar truck with SRW. If anything, I think the 450 is a bit smoother than the 250 was. Yeah, it's rough, so was the 250! Neither is a Caddy. But it's a very minimal (honestly, my wife thinks the DRW is smoother, I honestly can't tell for sure either way) change from SRW to DRW in harshness. I'm still getting used to its size, but it's not "ridiculous" or anything, shoot, if you can tow a 30-40ft trailer with a SRW, you can sure as hell drive a DRW without a trailer easily! Yes, you back into parking spots a lot more, but that's just part of owning a truck, I backed in my 150, 250 and now 450. If anything, the thing that's most noticeable about the DRW is the length (8' bed), not the extra tires in the back. And the turning radius on the 450 at least, makes slow speed maneuvers much, much easier than the size/length would seem to indicate; crank that wheel all the way over and it's like driving a forklift the darn thing turns so fast!

The biggest downside I see right now is the 450, probably because of the 19.5" tires, tramlines significantly. It's a bit of a scary/unnerving feeling, and it's a known issue with the 19.5" setup. It's supposed to get better with mileage, so, crossing my fingers, we'll see. It's not terrible, I've had cars that were worse (low profile/wide tires can be murder on tramlines, I was honestly afraid of my CLS550 in some situations because it was so bad), but the 250 didn't do it nearly as bad. I suspect that's particular to my truck though and not a DRW thing, it's much more tires/alignment that seem to cause that sensation than it is number of back wheels.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Overtaxed
    I suspect that's particular to my truck though and not a DRW thing, it's much more tires/alignment that seem to cause that sensation than it is number of back wheels.
    You are correct. We have severe grooves on our roads due to studded tires and my DRW truck does not have a problem with them. My single wheel F250 has more of a problem but not terribly after I changed to Cooper tires.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast