User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Surprised that they didn't have the connector at your Home Depot. Wondering if this is just a Canadian Home Depot thing. Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I did not discover the Pex to hose connector that you found. I was also shopping Canadian HD .
    I stumbled on this fitting at the Home Depot in Barrie, ON, a month or two before @Calbar first mentioned it another thread somewhere here. I'm thinking I should go back there and buy out their stock and resell them for beers on this forum.

When I installed the one that I bought I used a cinch-type ring rather than the copper ring that came with it - I don't have the tool for installing the copper ring. I think that was a mistake - using my rachet-style cinch ring tool I had no choice but to put more pressure on the cinch clamp than I think was good for the hose under it. I'd guess that I've created a future problem and will have to undo it when I own/borrow the proper tool for installing the copper ring. Am I fretting too much?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    using my rachet-style cinch ring tool I had no choice but to put more pressure on the cinch clamp than I think was good for the hose under it.
    Hi Mark,
    Since the "soft plumbing" in question is really just a braid reinforced hose, using a properly sized hose barb fitting should require just a hose clamp. This is what I used on my temporary repairs until I replaced everything.

@Walaby
    Mike . . . the "idea" of pulling out all the soft hose and replacing it with Pex is more daunting than the actual job. The tool and parts are readily available and easy to use. Without the time pressure of doing this in the dark, in the rain, at a campground to get the water back on . . . the job is actually quite easy. The only complication is the "while it's apart, I might as well add . . ." the electric solenoid valve, the accumulator tank, soft mounts for the pump, clean up the wiring, clean up the furnace duct work, and so on . . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest hurdle that I have in dealing with the Nautilus connections is removing the old pex cinch clamps in that tight space. Anyone have a good method for removing these in tight spaces?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    The biggest hurdle that I have in dealing with the Nautilus connections is removing the old pex cinch clamps in that tight space. Anyone have a good method for removing these in tight spaces? Bob
    @Cate&Rob has found the best way to be with a small pair of nippers with which he can grab the end of the tab on the cinch ring and peel it up.

This is the TYPE of thing he recommends BUT...

https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-34052-6...98891168&psc=1

Don't buy those ones... they are bigger than you ideally want and, more important, they have a bevel along the cutting edge of the tool which will frustrate capture of the little end of the tab on the cinch clamp. The perfect pair are quite small and completely smooth across the face, no fall into the cutting edge.

Someone else has recommended using a Dremel tool to cut through the cinch of the cinch clamp.

Having dutifully represented what Rob and other experts think is the way to go, I'll also suggest looking at the tool below. I don't have one (hard for me to get it in Canada) and I can't swear that it works as promised but it looks like the cat's meow to me. I'll be buying one when we travel to the States.

The video below begins with removal of the copper rings (how easy that is with the right tool). At around the 50-second mark it shows the steel cinch rings that we have, and shows using the crimping tool to cut the crimp off the cinch ring. Genius if it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNslIrWk1-w

Here's a link to the product:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...duct_id=PXCLTL
    Last edited by boyscout; 12-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    The biggest hurdle that I have in dealing with the Nautilus connections is removing the old pex cinch clamps in that tight space. Anyone have a good method for removing these in tight spaces?

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I have posted the attached before . . . see page 6 for the tool and "unwrap" that Mark @boyscout describes. As I am sure you have discovered . . . it is obvious that many of these connections are done at sub-assembly during construction of the trailer. The clamp crimps are often at angles that can't be reached with a large tool, once everything is assembled. I have found that I can usually get these small "nippers" into tight spaces.

I note that the video clip in Mark's link (and I have read this elsewhere) references cutting off 2" of Pex before replacing the connection. I don't see that this is necessary. Just cut off the 1/2" deformed by the previous clamp.

Per my original post on this topic https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...1509#post71509 (2016 Yikes!) I "stumbled" upon the nippers that work well for this. Per Mark's comment, I have other nippers that have too much bevel on the outer side of the cutting tip to be able to grab the Pex clamp end. I have run these against a grinder to remove this bevel and they then work to grab the end of the clamp.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plumbing Tools & Parts.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12