User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reference to the screws for uses and prevention of galvanic corrosion...
    The are galvanized steel. However, its a Ford developed process. Read about it in an Design Engineering magazine... or similar. A lot of interesting stuff Ford utilized like flow drill screws.. do a search and you'll find stuff
    David, Mindy and Bentley
    2019 Imagine 2970RL
    573TE3424K6610780
    2017 F250 4x4 6.2 CCSB

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Wasn't sure if this was the right sub-section of the forum for this post, or the Tow Vehicles, or the Reference Library. I guess the mods will move it as required.

The instructions that come with the new locking fuel door are atrocious. When I traded my 250 I left the door on because I couldn't remember how to get it off (and how to reinstall the original door). So I got to buy a new locking door again.

I didn't make the mistake of failing to note what I did this time--I documented exactly how I did it. The PDF spells it out and I'm sharing it with this community in the hopes it helps someone else. In case you're wondering why not on a Ford-specific forum, it's because I only participate on two forums--this one and the GL1800Riders forum.

Please note I have no financial or any other interest in the wholesaler or manufacturer or anyone else remotely connected with this product. None. Zero.

Attachment 14662
    Well, I ordered my new locking fuel door for my 2016 F350 diesel dually. It looks like a quality product, being milled from aluminum billet. I went to the manufacturers website , AMI Styling and clicked the tab for "Installation", which gave me one choice ... "Have a certified mechanic do it for you!" ... VERY helpful indeed. So I have this box, some parts and zero instructions.

That said,I have turned a wrench or two in my time, so I looked over the installation. The 2016 looks vastly easier to do than your 2017. It appears that three screws hold the fuel door/hinge assembly in place, removable from the exterior. Then it's a simply matter of using existing holes and maybe drilling a couple to complete the install. As I said, this LOOKS a lot easier - I'll be digging into it tomorrow and will post the results with pictures when I'm finished. However, if anyone has done this on a 2016, please chime in.

INSTANT UPDATE!!! So I assumed that there were no instructions - then, I peeled off the blister back and there they were - stuffed under the door. In my defense for being an idiot, the instructions were folded up into a tiny 2" square that couldn't be seen inside the blister pack. But, I was correct. For the 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duty diesel fuel doors, there are only 4 very simple steps - 1. unscrew and remove the old door, 2. Remove the rubber door stops 3. install new door by aligning 4 studs with existing holes (enlarge holes to 3/16") 4. tighten nuts. Piece - o - cake.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locking Fuel Cap Installation Pictures on 2016 Ford Super Duty

Not much to say here - just follow the instructions, have your tools ready and it's literally a 30 - 45 minute job.

The installation required removing the fuel door by removing 3 screws, enlarging the two rubber bumper stop holes to 3/16", slipping the new locking door assembly in and fastening 4 nuts and lock washers to the frame studs. The upper right stud was a bit tricky and I ultimately used a set of needle nose Vice Grips to tighten it.

I did find a way to secure the fuel cap. The pictures are self explanatory:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	14851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	14852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	14853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	14854

Now, this upgrade looks nice and it does provide some degree of protection BUT - just be advised that the lock uses the single most popular key on the planet (with the exception of the old style "luggage keys) - the Southco CH751. Oh well ... at least it won't be hard to get spare keys ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there guys. Howson. Can you tell me how you got the inside cover off? I do not want to break it. I can pull it but it would take more to get it out. Also the clips take a lot of force to come out. Do they come out one at a time right? Thank you!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FG1987 View Post
    Hello there guys. Howson. Can you tell me how you got the inside cover off? I do not want to break it. I can pull it but it would take more to get it out. Also the clips take a lot of force to come out. Do they come out one at a time right? Thank you!
    Hi there, welcome to the forum. A couple of tips:

- when you're replying to or commenting on any post, use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the post. That does two things, it copies the text of that message into your own to give it context and make it easier for people coming along later to understand your contribution, and it sends an alert to the person you're responding to. (You got an alert about this reply because I did that with your post, right?)

- when you just want to catch someone's attention - their previous post adds NO value to yours - then you can type an ampersand in front of the person's user name, which also generates an alert to that person. So in this case you'd type @howson - since I've done it now, Howard will get an alert and maybe return to this thread to respond to you.

These things are especially important if you're responding in a dormant thread as you're doing here... the person you're asking may never see your question.

Finally, Howard now spends most of his time on another Grand Design forum, might be a while before he responds here. I'll give him a nudge for you.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Wasn't sure if this was the right sub-section of the forum for this post, or the Tow Vehicles, or the Reference Library. I guess the mods will move it as required.

The instructions that come with the new locking fuel door are atrocious. When I traded my 250 I left the door on because I couldn't remember how to get it off (and how to reinstall the original door). So I got to buy a new locking door again.

I didn't make the mistake of failing to note what I did this time--I documented exactly how I did it. The PDF spells it out and I'm sharing it with this community in the hopes it helps someone else. In case you're wondering why not on a Ford-specific forum, it's because I only participate on two forums--this one and the GL1800Riders forum.

Please note I have no financial or any other interest in the wholesaler or manufacturer or anyone else remotely connected with this product. None. Zero.

Attachment 14662

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hi there, welcome to the forum. A couple of tips:

- when you're replying to or commenting on any post, use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the post. That does two things, it copies the text of that message into your own to give it context and make it easier for people coming along later to understand your contribution, and it sends an alert to the person you're responding to. (You got an alert about this reply because I did that with your post, right?)

- when you just want to catch someone's attention - their previous post adds NO value to yours - then you can type an ampersand in front of the person's user name, which also generates an alert to that person. So in this case you'd type @howson - since I've done it now, Howard will get an alert and maybe return to this thread to respond to you.

These things are especially important if you're responding in a dormant thread as you're doing here... the person you're asking may never see your question.

Finally, Howard now spends most of his time on another Grand Design forum, might be a while before he responds here. I'll give him a nudge for you.

Good luck.
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FG1987 View Post
    Mark notified me you had a question. By "inside cover" if you mean Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Cover.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	26672 I honestly don't remember exactly how, but it wasn't hard. You can see the two inserts on the right. I suspect it unsnaps on the left, the slide it a little left and it should come right out.

For the clips on what I labeled the "fuel door cover assy", yes, those clips are strong. As shown in the pics, I remember working from underneath the truck to push the bottom clips out of position. The top ones are then easy to unseat with the bottoms out.

Sorry I can't be any more specific--been a long time since I did this. (Document is from Aug '18.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is a tubular cam lock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_084450.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	26677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_084458.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	26678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_084511.jpg 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	26676
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123