User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    My truck is older ('11) and a long bed, it's Lariat trim 4x4 with the 6.7. My 2020 310GK is similar, I dont have the washer & dryer but I do have the dishwasher so my pin weight is a smidge less than yours. I do have airbags on my truck, I haven't inflated them with this trailer. I keep 6-8 psi in them all the time. The truck squats maybe 2" and is quite a ways off the overload springs. It tows like a dream. On the trailer I have just the standard suspension & brakes. One day I'd love to get IS and disks but that's a ways off. A pile of lithium batteries and an inverter are coming first.
    Thank you for the information! We were researching the airbag options tonight! Sounds like that is the way to go when towing a 5th wheel! We want to stick with a short bed but now considering the long bed for better payload capacity and a larger fuel tank! I am also concerned a sliding hitch might be noisy? Don’t have to worry about that with a long bed. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to chime in... our 310GK-R scaled at 3,280 on the pin with stacked W/D.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonRoad View Post
    Thank you Larry! It’s good to hear that you are successfully towing with the short bed! And that is great pin weight! Thank you for sharing that! Do you have the generator too? I REALLY don’t want the dually! Doesn’t make sense for us. We are not full time (yet!) and the short bed truck is much better for us.
    I don't have a generator. I was kind of surprised at the low pin weight. I may have to weigh again. I did start carrying to Honda 2000i's, but those are only about 60 lbs each.

Learning that the 2020 long bed has a much higher GVWR & payload capacity I would have to re-consider my choice if I trade up. Besides the additional capacity it would mean a lot lighter (and maybe less expensive) hitch - a non-slider!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the short bed with a sliding hitch or the long bed?
    The Tremor only comes with the 6' 9" bed. If you have room in your garage for the 8' bed, that is a better option for towing. The 48 gallon fuel tank that comes with the 8' bed is really nice to have as well. We do not have a sliding hitch. I just avoid backing up sharply. It's better for the tires and suspension anyway. If I get to a point while backing up that I start making a sharp turn, I just pull forward and back up again. No big deal but then many others have posted pictures of blown out back windows on their truck so if you aren't positive that you'll avoid sharp turns, a long bed or slider hitch is a better option.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! Excited to join this group!

I was wondering if anyone has this setup and if you have had any problems towing the 310 with this setup? We are getting the dual pane windows, generator, and washer/dryer unit which I know adds to the payload. We are wondering if the payload is too much for this truck? Talking about adding airbags on the truck to help. If I watch the weight that we add my calculations show we should be ok. We want to be able to use the truck in state parks and areas that may be hard to get around with a bigger truck.

If you have this setup have you felt safe towing?

Has anyone upgraded to the heavier axle on the 310GK? Does it give you bigger disc brakes?

Appreciate any advise!
    We have that setup. There are others here that are completely comfortable with it; I am not.

I feel that the truck is JUST enough to pull this trailer, and others who have properly weighed their own 350SRW / 310GK rigs on certified truck scales have confirmed that it is at its limits. We don't even have washer / dryer. I do have tools in the truck, and our hitch is a heavy auto-slider that pushes over 300 pounds. ** Going into corners, or over bad bumps, or up steep hills, I really feel that we're working the truck hard.

It's so easy to spend other people's money, but the 2020 F-450 isn't really a WHOLE lot more costly than the F-350 and is SO much more truck. Stronger structure, stronger brakes, tighter turning radius, and other benefits but most of all it has a TEN SPEED TRANSMISSION. A couple of people here have them, over the moon. It's a tower's dream truck and believe me, you don't want to spend years wishing for another truck. Ask me how I know.

Good luck with your choices.

** Do you know about sliding hitches, and the need for them? Short-bed trucks don't allow tight turns with the wide Solitude attached - the nose of the trailer will punch into the truck's cab unless you're very cautious about turning angle and have lots of room for wiggling around. Hint: people are often stressed and/or not cautious when maneuvering in tight situations, and there are MANY campgrounds where sharp turns are essential to getting into a site. That's why a lot of us short-bed owners have a Pullrite Superglide hitch or one of its competitors - hitches that automatically move the trailer back up to 14 inches when executing sharp turns.
    Last edited by boyscout; 06-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Going into corners, or over bad bumps, or up steep hills, I really feel that we're working the truck hard.
    What year is your truck? Mine 2020 F-350 FLIES up hills with ease. I pulled the Siskiyous in southern Oregon and the Grapevine north of L.A. on Monday and it was a breeze. Granted, those aren't much in the way of hills compared to others I've gone up but when I needed to speed up to pass slower traffic (say from 40mph-65mph), I was veeeeery impressed with the acceleration. My 310GK-R is at 14,800lbs. Bumps don't phase me either because I have the air bag hitch and MORryde IS suspension. It's all about having the proper equipment. Would a DRW be more stable? Yes. Would it have a safe reserve of payload? Absolutely. But, I've owned a DRW and won't get another one unless my RV is over 16,000lbs or the pin weight gets past 3,500lbs (more or less).

As for the F-450 - I agree. If I ever need a DRW again, it will be an F-450 for sure.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    What year is your truck? Mine 2020 F-350 FLIES up hills with ease. I pulled the Siskiyous in southern Oregon and the Grapevine north of L.A. on Monday and it was a breeze. Granted, those aren't much in the way of hills compared to others I've gone up but when I needed to speed up to pass slower traffic (say from 40mph-65mph), I was veeeeery impressed with the acceleration. My 310GK-R is at 14,800lbs. Bumps don't phase me either because I have the air bag hitch and MORryde IS suspension. It's all about having the proper equipment. Would a DRW be more stable? Yes. Would it have a safe reserve of payload? Absolutely. But, I've owned a DRW and won't get another one unless my RV is over 16,000lbs or the pin weight gets past 3,500lbs (more or less).

As for the F-450 - I agree. If I ever need a DRW again, it will be an F-450 for sure.
    Mine is a 2017 so 440hp vs your 475hp. More importantly you have the 10-speed transmission (which I've just learned is on the 350 as well as the 450) while mine is six-speed. I have the 3.55 gear ratio - pretty high - while yours may be lower.

I actually went to buy a 450 in 2017, but the salesman convinced me that since I would only be towing about 20% of the time I should get the "cruiser" 350 short box for lower fuel costs and easier handling when not towing and when parking. It was enough truck for the slightly-lighter Reflection we were buying then, but I've kicked myself since for listening to the salesman.

So yours certainly has advantages, especially the 10-speed, but I wasn't suggesting that mine can barely pull a 310GK. No complaints about general driving around with the trailer and I can pass pretty easily - there's loads of power there. However a few times - driving through the Ozarks was one - the truck spent much of its time in fourth and even third gear screaming up the hills and the fuel consumption soared - IIRC it got about 6mpg that day. I'm sure it didn't hurt the truck, but it seemed like hard work for it and seemed like hard work for me.

Most of my complaints, though, are not about power.

- I often feel the trailer nudging to go straight when we are rolling into curves and corners.

- Probably a dozen times or more we have bottomed-out - painfully-solid thud as we go over a bad bridge transition or hard bump.

- The truck often bucks like a bronco when the road is bad.

- At rest when hooked up the truck is resting on its helper springs, not hard but it's touching them.

- The short box forces me into a slider hitch, a huge heavy filthy thing occupying much of the bed of the truck all the time.

- The turning radius on the 350 is poor - experienced campground attendants have remarked on how much room it needs to maneuver, and the amount of room it needs certainly frustrates at times.

So I make the case whenever someone asks "what truck?" because for me, the extra cost of the 450 is MORE than worth it to overcome the shortcomings (and gain a handful of other advantages too). If I could roll back time...
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RVonRoad here’s another opinion just posted in another thread.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post298539

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not a 310, but for reference purposes, I ran my 2019 diesel CC short bed F-350 and 2930 across the scale last weekend. These weights are with full fuel, full fresh water and 2 adults and firewood in the truck.

Steer Axle: 4960 lbs
    Drive Axle: 6540 lbs
    Trailer Axle: 10880 lbs
    Total: 22380 lbs

That puts the truck right at GVWR (11500), below on both GAWRs (5290 front / 7230 rear), and well below GCWR (28700). Per the door sticker, the payload capacity of my truck is 3446 lbs, so the pin weight of my trailer is in the 2700-2800 pound range. In my opinion, the 310 reaches the limits of a SRW 350 (and very easily beyond) when looking at the numbers. We're just weekenders. If I was towing my current trailer (or a 310) as a full timer, I'd probably opt for a 350 DRW.
    Last edited by Cpt_Confusion; 06-08-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    2019 F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke
    2020 Solitude S-Class 2930RL

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Confusion View Post
    I know it's not a 310, but for reference purposes, I ran my 2019 diesel CC short bed F-350 and 2930 across the scale last weekend. These weights are with full fuel, full fresh water and 2 adults and firewood in the truck.

Steer Axle: 4960 lbs
    Drive Axle: 6540 lbs
    Trailer Axle: 10880 lbs
    Total: 22380 lbs

That puts the truck right at GVWR (11500), below on both GAWRs (5290 front / 7230 rear), and well below GCWR (28700). Per the door sticker, the payload capacity of my truck is 3446 lbs, so the pin weight of my trailer is in the 2700-2800 pound range. In my opinion, the 310 reaches the limits of a SRW 350 (and very easily beyond) when looking at the numbers. We're just weekenders. If I was towing my current trailer (or a 310) as a full timer, I'd probably opt for a 350 DRW.
    Hi, I see you're fairly new here. In order to be sure that the original poster (or someone else) sees your response, click on the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right of the post you're responding to. That way, what you're responding to gets included in your message to improve context for people who read later, and the person who wrote that post gets an automatic alert.

If the context of a previous post adds no value at all, you can bring someone's attention to a post typing the @ symbol followed by their username in the post.

So I'm going to type @RVonRoad here, which will generate an alert so that he/she will see this message with your advice above.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast