User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOpppsss.....hit the wrong button.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-30-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    This one is dual-fuel (runs on either propane or gasoline), fairly quiet, inverter, and can be inexpensively bridged with a second one for run-anything-you-like-plus-the-neighbor's-too power. The Champions are popular and offer a lot for their price.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...0858593&sr=8-4
    I have the same generator and it has worked flawlessly. I have only ran it on propane. My only complaint is that it is a little louder than I would prefer
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I have that one myself, got it last fall, Black Friday sale. It's a good one. I keep it in my PU bed with a 20# propane bottle. It will run the A/C no problem but I installed a soft start just in case. Now I can confidently run anything whenever. You won't have a need to parallel it unless your lighting up a small city.
    Save a few bucks, I got mine here: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p67309.html Tell them I sent you too.
    Thanks all. Being a newbie I went with a quality but little less expensive model based on everyone's' input. I just ordered the Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator. Got it on Amazon for only $549. While it doesn't have the electronic or remote start I hope I'm not too old to handle a pull start since I saved $100 or 15%. Also did not go with the Dual Fuel as I hope to use the propane to keep refrigerator and Hot Water Heater running on them. Hope I don't regret not getting the upgrades! Hope to see you all on the road!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your issue with running the fire place off of your generator is because your fireplace is likely a 240v. Your camper is a 50a 120/240v system, so when you have a 30a adapter it’s only 120v. You would be missing a leg of 120v to
    make it work.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC2350 View Post
    I think your issue with running the fire place off of your generator is because your fireplace is likely a 240v. Your camper is a 50a 120/240v system, so when you have a 30a adapter it’s only 120v. You would be missing a leg of 120v to
    make it work.
    No, the fireplace is only 120V. Though 240 is available on 50A service, it’s rarely used in trailers.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh I see. I also should have read more carefully through the thread haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try a generator neutral plug to close an open neutral. The ems will close if it senses that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    This one is dual-fuel (runs on either propane or gasoline), fairly quiet, inverter, and can be inexpensively bridged with a second one for run-anything-you-like-plus-the-neighbor's-too power. The Champions are popular and offer a lot for their price.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...0858593&sr=8-4
    I use the Champion 3400 dual-fuel with my Imagine 2970RL and it works great. If you can get by it weighing 90 lbs it is an excellent choice.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+60v and -60v are 120v except to an EMS

Quote Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
    I have a 2018 Reflection 337RLS I just bought and have home. Trying to figure out the electrical system. For now I'm connected through my 50 amp cable to a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X then a 50-30 amp converter to a 30 amp to 30 amp generator converter. I'm using a Briggs & Stratton 5500 Watt Storm Response portable generator. All my 120V circuits work but when I start the fireplace, even with all other breakers shut off my EMS shuts off power to the RV. It also happens when I try to turn on the water heater the same way. Does anybody have a clue as to what may be happening?
    . Last summer I studied this quite a bit and ended up buying the Westinghouse iGen 4500. I'm happy with the unit. There are a number of things I learned in this process that are worth sharing.

My RV is a 50 amp travel trailer, not a 5th wheel. All 50 amp RVs are actually two 50 amp circuits (not just 2 circuits sharing 50 amps). So, a 50 amp service is actually 100 amp service into the RV.

The Honda and Yamaha generators generate a true 120v output. Pretty much ALL of the other generators (including mine) produce a +60/-60 volt signal. That’s +60 on the hot leg and -60 on the ground leg (not the neutral). As far as your appliances are concerned this is 120v. Both signals are acceptable and all your appliances don't know the difference and will work normally. The only time this (+60/-60) is a problem is if you have installed a power monitor system (EMS) to protect your RV from over voltage or under voltage OR the dangerous open neutral line that sometimes happens in campgrounds. This open neutral problem is not really a concern with 30 amp RVs but can kill your appliances on 50 amp RVs. But, that's a topic for a different thread.

I installed this power monitor system (Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO) just before adding the generator. The power monitor system worked great, until I tried to use it with my new generator. The power monitor would not allow the RV to power up when connected to the generator. Turns out, this is because it’s not a true 120v. The power monitor detects the -60v on the ground line and it says there’s a problem. I talked with engineers at both Westinghouse and Hughes and after weeks of discussion I concluded that I could not use the power monitor when I’m running off the generator. Neither company is interested in finding a solution to this problem. I now only use the power monitor when connected to shore power. (BTW, I’m a retired electrical engineer and have designed stuff like this while working at Compaq and Motorola.)

If you want to test this you can use a voltmeter and measure the voltage from the positive to ground on your generator and then from the neutral on your generator to ground. If you get +60 and -60 you've encountered the problem I just described. You'll have to bypass your EMS when you run the generator.

Here’s some helpful links if you want to take the time:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-generat...r-an-rv-works/

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...nding-basics/”

http://www.myrv.us/electric/”

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be suspicious of your 30-50 Amp converter because you are showing high voltage on one line and low voltage on the other.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast