Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonneau Covers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonneau Covers

My equipment is a 2022 GMC 2500HD double cab standard bed (6.8’) towing a 2023 278BH with a B&W Companion. I am looking for a tonneau cover and just wondering what most of you are using? If you have a hard foldable does it interfere with the camper making a tight turn? I have about 7” of rail clearance, not sure if that would be suitable. I like the idea of a retractable but I carry a generator behind the cab, with that pushed back against the Companion foot it only leaves me with 8” of clearance between the generator and the cab of the truck. Thanks for any input!
    Jim & Fran
    2022 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L Gas
    2023 Reflection 278BH

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimingreene View Post
    My equipment is a 2022 GMC 2500HD double cab standard bed (6.8’) towing a 2023 278BH with a B&W Companion. I am looking for a tonneau cover and just wondering what most of you are using? If you have a hard foldable does it interfere with the camper making a tight turn? I have about 7” of rail clearance, not sure if that would be suitable. I like the idea of a retractable but I carry a generator behind the cab, with that pushed back against the Companion foot it only leaves me with 8” of clearance between the generator and the cab of the truck. Thanks for any input!
    It sounds like you're focused on a hard cover so my experience with a soft cover may be of limited use for you. On my truck, I'm using an Amazon Basics Cover (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QMBGTB) which has worked really well. While towing I roll it up far enough not to interfere with the hitch, but it still covers all of the items in the front of the bed. I'm sure it would work fine with your generator, that's where I carry mine.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimingreene View Post
    I’ve had a Bakflip four section hard cover on my last two trucks. I have about 6” of clearance between the bed rail and the fifth wheel. With three sections folded forward, I still have had enough clearance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	49726
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one "Extang"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 which I purchased in 2018. I have had my truck in some pretty tight turns and it has never interfered with my 5th wheel. At one point I was within about 1/2 inch or so from the front cap hitting the cap of my truck. I have a little better than 6" over the rails on my truck when connected.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 4 section BakFlip on my 8' bed. Under normal conditions, it does not interfere with towing. However, when backing into the barn for the first time, truck was leaning to the passenger's side, and the 5th wheel leaning to the driver's side, and the bottom of the front cap hit the BakFlip causing $1,500 in damage. Now I know to fold it all the way up to the back window when backing into the barn due to the angles. Just ordered a new truck and will do a retractable to avoid this issue.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the BakFlip 4 section on my 2018 Ram 3500. Over 70,000 towing miles, never a problem.
    JK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    It sounds like you're focused on a hard cover so my experience with a soft cover may be of limited use for you. On my truck, I'm using an Amazon Basics Cover (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QMBGTB) which has worked really well. While towing I roll it up far enough not to interfere with the hitch, but it still covers all of the items in the front of the bed. I'm sure it would work fine with your generator, that's where I carry mine.
    I also have the Amazon basics soft room up and roll it so it does not interfere with hitch. Very happy with it.
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Truxedo Deuce tonneau soft cover. What we like with it is the forward section next to the cab of the truck is about a 3 foot section that folds open without having to roll the whole cove open to get something out easily. We have used this cover on our last 2 trucks now.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a soft one on my Canyon. Now we have a Sierra 1500 and I got the electric retractable from roll-n-lock. Happy with it so far.
    2023 23LDE
    2023 GMC Sierra 1500 Ultimate Denali

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    I also have the Amazon basics soft room up and roll it so it does not interfere with hitch. Very happy with it.
    Same works great ��
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast