User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapid hot water depressurization .... A Newbie lessoned learned..

Firstly, I was not injured ! Got a little wet and confirmed that my heart is in good condition.

While preparing for our 1st trip of the year, I sanitized the freshwater tank this morning. All OK. I wanted to make sure the hot tank plug was properly seated, as I left it loose for the winter - but apparently not loose enough. I was smart enough to disconnect the primary battery cutoff, BUT, forgot to depressurize the hot water tank. I wanted to remove the plug, then secure it back. Sure enough, when I went to loosen the plug,.... BAMMM !

As soon as it happened I knew what I did or did not do; relieve the pressure first. As I said, luckily no injures although a little wet and now a little smarter. Having said all that, did I, or could I have done any damage to the hot water system or the overall water system by the rapid depressurization ???

Mitch Frank
    22 MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Firstly, I was not injured ! Got a little wet and confirmed that my heart is in good condition.

While preparing for our 1st trip of the year, I sanitized the freshwater tank this morning. All OK. I wanted to make sure the hot tank plug was properly seated, as I left it loose for the winter - but apparently not loose enough. I was smart enough to disconnect the primary battery cutoff, BUT, forgot to depressurize the hot water tank. I wanted to remove the plug, then secure it back. Sure enough, when I went to loosen the plug,.... BAMMM !

As soon as it happened I knew what I did or did not do; relieve the pressure first. As I said, luckily no injures although a little wet and now a little smarter. Having said all that, did I, or could I have done any damage to the hot water system or the overall water system by the rapid depressurization ???

Mitch Frank
    22 MLE
    More than likely, no damage occurred. Think of it this way, if you would have quickly opened the lever on the pressure valve, it would have done something similar.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    More than likely, no damage occurred. Think of it this way, if you would have quickly opened the lever on the pressure valve, it would have done something similar.
    Many thanks for the quick reply ! I was hoping to hear that but was not sure. I hope NOT to be the Newbie for too much longer.

MItch Frank
    22 MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubt any damage, like what was said above, it is no different from just opening the kitchen faucet all the way, you just did it at a different location. Many a camper has had an unexpected drenching.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Many thanks for the quick reply ! I was hoping to hear that but was not sure. I hope NOT to be the Newbie for too much longer.

MItch Frank
    22 MLE
    We all went through it... Some of us took longer than others... (After 35+ years of trailers, in one form or another, I STILL have a newbie question, or do a newbie mistake/thing.)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel