User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost of Propane so different

Why is the price of propane so different, sometimes within 10 miles?

I live in Springfield, Oregon. The price of propane is around $2.49 to $2.99.

I travel a lot in Oregon for work and pleasure. In Redmond, Oregon the price is about a dollar less then much of the rest of Oregon.

I paid $1.58 per gallon. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South east Iowa a 20# exchange is 15 bucks
    2019 Transcend 26rls
    2010 Nissan Titan w full tow package
    Rich & Sharon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy-b View Post
    South east Iowa a 20# exchange is 15 bucks
    Ouch, that really hurts.

At my local Tractor Supply Center in April they wanted CDN$56 (that's over US$41) to exchange a 30# (not 20#). I'm paying CDN$4.68 / US$3.48 per US gallon for diesel fuel.

Would anyone reading this be willing to sponsor me for permanent residency in the U.S.?!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER - NEVER - NEVER get an exchange tank unless you are exchanging an expired tank. They always underfill them by 1 gallon, so you are paying extra and not even getting a full tank. Go somewhere and get it refilled. It's your money.

Around here refills are anywhere from about $2.39 to $3.29 per gallon. Tractor Supply is a pretty good place to go. U-Haul usually sits at the high end. Many Camping World locations offer propane refills, and they have additional discounts on Tuesday. It just depends on where you are.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varies quite a bit here too. U-Haul is $3.12 and less than a mile away Costco is $1.86 gallon.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    NEVER - NEVER - NEVER get an exchange tank unless you are exchanging an expired tank.
    Never have, and never will. Just reporting the price difference.

Around here refills are anywhere from about $2.39 to $3.29 per gallon.
    That's another difference here. AFAIK nobody around me fills tanks by the gallon. A fill is a fill is a fill. Take in a half-tank and I'd still pay for a full fill.

Best price for that around me is CDN$27 for a 30# tank which is about CDN$3.80 or US$2.82 per gallon *if* it takes 7 gallons to fill it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER - NEVER - NEVER get an exchange tank unless you are exchanging an expired tank. They always underfill them by 1 gallon, so you are paying extra and not even getting a full tank. Go somewhere and get it refilled. It's your money.

Around here refills are anywhere from about $2.39 to $3.29 per gallon. Tractor Supply is a pretty good place to go. U-Haul usually sits at the high end. Many Camping World locations offer propane refills, and they have additional discounts on Tuesday. It just depends on where you are.

Agree with this the exchange tanks are never full. Best to keep your tanks up to date and in good working order so you can get the best deal getting them refilled. Obviously many campgrounds can refill as well as some local hardware stores and Tractor Supply.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree on never exchanging the tanks but for a different reason. Our previous trailer, an RPod, came with a nice tank and the dealer told me just to fill and not exchange. The tanks you get in exchange aren't nearly as well built. For my GD, I upgraded to two 30# Flame King tanks because I run my generator off of the propane BBQ outlet.

To the OP, @orbiker, thanks for the heads up. I'm less than 5 miles from Redmond Feed. Even filling up at my local RV dump station is only $2.49/gallon. Most gas stations in and around Bend are $1.99.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Why is the price of propane so different, sometimes within 10 miles?

I live in Springfield, Oregon. The price of propane is around $2.49 to $2.99.

I travel a lot in Oregon for work and pleasure. In Redmond, Oregon the price is about a dollar less then much of the rest of Oregon.

I paid $1.58 per gallon. KEN

Propane prices vary just like fuel prices. Depends on what the "local" market will tolerate.
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, CrewCab, 5.3L, 2wd.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice how much propane is used in your local area. Is it big business in your locale? Is it needed to run many households in your area? We are 3/4 mi. outside our village (which is 5 miles east of a small city), and the very last customer on the natural gas line. There are many households that use propane for heat, dryer, and other appliances because the natural gas lines don’t extend out to them. This small area supports TWO thriving propane companies. The local farm store refills 20# tanks for $7.99 every day, $5.99 specials around holidays. The big businesses are equally as cheap, but they make a meal out of the process-printer wait times, signed affidavits, show your Driver’s license-not a quick process.
    In short, I think the greater the supply and demand, the lower the overhead, thereby, lower consumer price. Might be worth a short trip to the boonies for your refill.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast