User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/2 ton towing? Reflection 29rs or 295rl 5th Wheel?

Just wondering an interested to hear from others that are towing a Reflection 29rs or 295rl 5th wheel camper with a 1/2 ton truck? and how well it is working out for you? We have a 2018 Silverado Max Tow Package and will be adding a 2017 Reflection 29rs. Any helpful info and suggestions would be great. There must be a few out there with all the Reflection 5th Wheels we see on the road. Thanks...R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pin weight listed by GD is empty - no propane, nothing in the basement, nothing in the bedroom, etc. Depending on how you load it, the pin weight could end up a little north of 2,000 lbs. Does your 1/2-ton have that kind of payload capacity left with fuel, occupants, and hitch? Look at the door sticker and/or take it to the nearest CAT scales. It's not about what it'll pull with a fifth wheel - it's about payload.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our set up is right at 2000# on the pin, regular camping gear and food and clothes for 6 days. I am in agreement with Rob above that you probably will be over weight.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed my 295RL with a Tundra over payload traded for GMC 2500HD with duramax night and day difference
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17george View Post
    Towed my 295RL with a Tundra over payload traded for GMC 2500HD with duramax night and day difference
    There better be a difference or you would have wasted your money.
    You can not beat the power of a diesel, should be night and day. All that torque.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    There better be a difference or you would have wasted your money.
    You can not beat the power of a diesel, should be night and day. All that torque.
    I was leaning on the safety side
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Richierich56,
    I have towed my 2017 29RS about 8000 miles these past two years, with a 2016 GMC Sierra with Max Tow option.
    Drove this rig to Florida twice and Arizona once from north Michigan.
    It rides smooth and solid due to the Bilstien heavy duty shocks and Airlift airbags.
    I shift the six speed tranny into manual fifth gear and activate the tow mode.
    Milage averages between 8-9 mpg.
    Weighed on the CAT scale three times and pin weight is 2200-2400 pounds, so I am a couple hundred pounds over rear axle capacity,
    per my door sticker.
    I keep trailer tires 76-80 lbs when cold.
    Eeztire TPMS tells me if I run low.
    I store only a second 12 volt battery and small grill in the front storage compartment.
    My "daily driver" handles this set up just fine.

Get the shocks and airbags and you will be fine.
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ NHT heavy tow option,
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off...thanks to all that replied to our post...and Hallelujah an thank you...thank you! North of 45 for the input as to why this could be a good set up for us. It’s nice to know...hear that you have the same set up that we will and no issues. We already have our Truck, 2018 Silverado 1500 Max Tow and really...we love our Truck an trading or buying a new or different truck is not an option for us. So finding a 5th wheel that will meet our needs and can be towed with our Truck is very important to us. We have spent a lot of time looking and it seems that the Reflections line is a very well put together camper. So than it became a matter of what model? We will be using it now an than here in Michigan in the summer months but also wanting to travel in the winter months to get out of the cold weather. So for us...not so big that it’s a chore to move around but also not so small that ya get Cabin Fever! lol so with that said...the 29rs seems like a good choice. But only if it’s a good fit? And that’s why we posted here to hopefully get input from others that are pulling...towing with a very similar set up an gather info...good? bad? Chevy, GMC, Ford, Dodge 1/2 ton.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North of 45...Also we had Load Lifter 5000 Air Bags installed when we bought our truck. See you live in the Petoskey area? Nice area...we live a bit South...just East of Traverse City, about an hour from Petoskey. We have family an friends in the Petoskey area also. Would welcome any other suggestions or info you care to share? Maybe we can exchange emails? Thanks again...Richard Happy RVing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ritchierich56,
    Just to clarify,.... the rear axle weight is 2200-2400 pounds, but the trailer pin weight is 1800-2000 pounds.
    The extra 400 pounds is due to the truck box liner, hitch, tri-fold tonneau cover, 8 ton bottle jack, etc.
    Weekend camping loads are lighter than long distance trip/long term loads.

I think the 20 inch wheels with 50 aspect sidewalls help with sway.
    I hardly feel any side push, when large trucks pass by on the interstates, a very stable set up.

The 29RS meeets our needs for size. Jean and I have spent two Winters in Florida and south Alabama
    without getting in each others' way.
    Also, most service stations are accessable; even the smaller, older ones.
    The height of 11 feet and 10 inches will get you under most tree branches in the State parks and county parks.

You have chosen a good "second home" for weekend and long stay travels.
    Enjoy the ride.

You can PM me on this site if you have more questions.
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ NHT heavy tow option,
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast