Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17george View Post
    I was leaning on the safety side
    What issues did you have with the Tundra, I have a 295rl also and have not had any issues. Have a bout 4000 miles on it so far.
    Accelerating and braking have not been an issue or getting pushed around on the highway by big trucks etc. Very stable.
    What safety issues did you have? This way I can keep an eye on things. Thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not the one that was towing with a Tundra...was looking for input from others on towing with a 1/2 ton Truck? What do you Tow your 295RL with? Make? Model? 1/2 ton? Thanks...R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich56 View Post
    I’m not the one that was towing with a Tundra...was looking for input from others on towing with a 1/2 ton Truck? What do you Tow your 295RL with? Make? Model? 1/2 ton? Thanks...R
    2011 tundra dc 4x4. regardless of what 1/2 ton you choose, you will have to add timbrens or airbags. I run trimbrens do to the curtis under mount setup with the anderson hitch.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260RD that I pulled with a 2015 Silverado half ton with max tow package. It is rated to pull 11000 and the truck GVWR is 7600. My calculations showed I was within limits. Towed the trailer 800 miles on first trip, over I76/I70 to Washington DC in 5th gear tow haul. Handled beautiful! Got 10-12 mpg and trans did not down shift. I went to the CAT scales after the trip, with me only and a quarter tank of gas, I weighed 7560# with minimal cargo in the trailer. OUCH!!! I now own a 2500HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI. We’ve bought our 2017 29RS a little over two years ago. I bought a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel just before that, and it pulls it with no problems. Get 10 to 12 mpg usually. To be honest I’m not sure I’d be comfortable pulling this with a 1/2 ton, but it probably works for others. Just remember you get into a lot of different situations when going down the road — not all straight and level towing! I sometimes wish I’d gone with a 3500, but the 29RS is all the trailer we’ll ever need so the 2500 will do us just fine. One other thing — I got tired of dealing with drum brakes and converted over to electric/hydraulic disc. Made a world of difference in stopping abilities! Enjoy your 29RS!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ritchierich56
    We have a 2019 295RL Reflection 150 Series which we pull with a 2018 F150 Lariat 4WD, short 5'6" box, 10-speed transmission, 3.5L Ecoboost with 3.55 axle, heavy duty tow package and we also added Timbrens to the back suspension. We use a Pullrite Superglide 3100 hitch, designed for short boxes, which works perfectly with GD's Turning Point pin. We have pulled our 295RL more than 15,000 kms since last November and have had no issues at all. We have travelled from Ontario to Arizona and back plus other shorter trips and we have successfully pulled the fifth wheel up long steep gradients with minimal loss of speed. We did a great deal of research and we purchased the F150 Lariat as outlined above specifically to pull the 295RL. We did look at the F150 Diesel but at that time it had less towing and payload capacity than the F150 EcoBoost. We did many calculations to make sure we were within towing and payload capacity limits before purchasing. We used a spreadsheet based on the one shown in the YouTube video from Keep your Daydream entitled "Payload Problems, How Much Can I (Really) Tow?" The spreadsheet is detailed in the video but can be downloaded from the Notes below it. We ensure that we travel light so we do not over pack the bedroom or the through-storage below and we distribute what is loaded into the fifth wheel throughout. Everything we have acquired to use in the fifth wheel is super light-weight so when we travel we are well below the 10,200 lbs GVWR. Make sure you weigh your truck and fifth wheel loaded on a CAT scale to ensure that you are within limits as in the Keep your Daydream YouTube video mentioned above it highlights the risk of invalidating insurance if you are outside specs. We love our 295RL and are really pleased with it and we have been told by RV technicians we know that we definitely bought the right truck with the right set-up. I hope this helps you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my understanding that post purchase upgrades do not change the door sticker numbers. Does this mean that if you are in a motor vehicle incident your insurance could be void due to an overload condition?
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ….......

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich56 View Post
    Just wondering an interested to hear from others that are towing a Reflection 29rs or 295rl 5th wheel camper with a 1/2 ton truck? and how well it is working out for you? We have a 2018 Silverado Max Tow Package and will be adding a 2017 Reflection 29rs. Any helpful info and suggestions would be great. There must be a few out there with all the Reflection 5th Wheels we see on the road. Thanks...R
    I was in a similar boat. I had a 2017 1/2 ton RAM with max tow package and bought a much smaller GD 5th wheel (230rl, only 6900lbs dry). I drove 1500 miles this way, white knuckling it all the way, barely able to go over 50mph without the trailer main handling the truck and moving it all over the road. I took my rig to the cat scale and determined that I was 900 lbs over my payload/rear axle limits (and this was with the trailer lightly loaded, less than 1/2 of what it is rated to carry in cargo).

The mistake I made was in going by the charts provided by RAM and the dealer and not by the sticker on my own truck. READ YOUR DOOR STICKER AND CHECK YOUR PAYLOAD, if you have the average configuration in a 1/2 ton (4x4, crew cab), you're absolutely going to be over your payload and you'll be towing illegally and dangerously. With a 5th wheel you will exceed your payload limits well before you touch your tow limits. The only 1/2 ton 4x4 crew cab that can actually tow most of these GD 1/2 ton 5th wheels is a Ford F150 with the max payload package (payload rated at 2400lbs if memory serves), and these are almost impossible to find, you usually have to special order them.

I loved my half ton, but I had to accept that I had made a bad choice in my truck/camper combo, so we sucked it up and bought a 2500. I now have 3000lbs of payload and I barely notice the camper is there, it's a night and day difference between the half ton and this new 3/4 ton (and note that I had a hemi in both, this is not a matter of tow power, but payload ratings).

I would encourage you to go get the payload numbers off your truck, then sit down and calculate your approx payload. I found that my pin weight on the 230rl was more like 26% of total weight instead of the 10-20 you usually read about. Additionally, I was not accounting for the weight of my hitch (that's 150lbs right there), my weight and my wife's weight, my running boards (another 140lbs) and other misc. I calculated that fully loaded with a full tank of water, I could use as much as 2600lbs of payload. Lightly loaded I was still around 2400.

Lastly, go on youtube and look for a guy who runs a channel called "Big Truck, Big RV (BTBRV)". This guy has done numerous videos on 5th wheel half ton towing.

I hope you find this helpful and good luck!
    Last edited by shutterbug; 07-13-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    It is my understanding that post purchase upgrades do not change the door sticker numbers. Does this mean that if you are in a motor vehicle incident your insurance could be void due to an overload condition?
    Exactly this. Insurance and lawyers will look for any way to not pay a claim or suit. Overloading gives them an easy out, plus it is just not safe to others on the road.

Brian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast