User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I was at a park a couple of weeks ago where I saw a gentleman with a 2003 Chevy 2500 towing an enormous 41 ft 5th wheel. Asked him how she towed, he said he hardly knew it was back there.
    Yeah but that was only after his third beer

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    So, if the dealer would say.."before I can sell you this trailer, please weigh your truck and bring the receipt". If the dealer were to purchase a scale (less than $300) they could determine the actual pin weight of your possible purchase, give a "standard" allowance for gear and passengers, then give the customer a pretty good idea if they will be exceeding any limits. How can the dealer escape all responsibility for this? If I go to a bar and drink too much, sure I have some blame, but the bar has responsibility to stop serving when a person appears to have hit their limit, and they can be liable.
    Much like the Dire Straits song, money for nothing, where salesman have to move these refrigerators, and colour TVs, RV sales men have to move these travel trailers and fifth wheels. Pretty much anything goes to make the sale. The less the customer and the dealer know about actual weights the better. Ignorance is bliss and better to advise the client to verify weights, which generally does not happen.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed you have a ‘35 ford, is it a flathead or did has it been modernized? Dad had a 34 Ford poster advertising it would go faster in second than a Chevy would in third. Times have changed. I have a ‘77 Chevy Silverado 10 short box 350 all original currently collecting dust in the garage. Must get at it.

Might be in the minority here but I draw the line at the numbers. I worked in high voltage maintenance and telecommunications before retiring, spec’d limits are limits period. Stay within specs and everyone goes home, exceed them ‘cause they are close and someone might die. Accidents happen, but going beyond standards because you are close is, iMO, a needless risk.....rant over.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Noticed you have a ‘35 ford, is it a flathead or did has it been modernized? Dad had a 34 Ford poster advertising it would go faster in second than a Chevy would in third. Times have changed. I have a ‘77 Chevy Silverado 10 short box 350 all original currently collecting dust in the garage. Must get at it.

Might be in the minority here but I draw the line at the numbers. I worked in high voltage maintenance and telecommunications before retiring, spec’d limits are limits period. Stay within specs and everyone goes home, exceed them ‘cause they are close and someone might die. Accidents happen, but going beyond standards because you are close is, iMO, a needless risk.....rant over.
    Yes, I have a '35 Ford 5 window. I went with an SBC and 2004R trans, dropped axle, 9 inch rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825_112219.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	21434
    Here's a flathead I built. Had it in a '46 Merc in front of a Cad-LaSalle trans. 6000 rpm, 90 mph second gear. I put it in the car right side up.

I am an honorary lifetime (retired) member of IBEW Local #77 . I know of which you speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I tow a 295 RL with a 2015 f150 king ranch with the 3.5 ecoboost Rated @3200 payload and 10k 5th wheel capacity.
    Our trailer is right at max weight as we are full timers .
    I have towed this setup from south florida to northern ca, through snow, high winds and over mountains.
    The only time I ever felt like it was too much was going through Kansas with a 30 mph crosswind, which would feel bad in any tow vehicle.
    All of the 1/2 ton haters can say what they like, but my setup is within limits and tows great.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmungle View Post
    My wife and I tow a 295 RL with a 2015 f150 king ranch with the 3.5 ecoboost Rated @3200 payload and 10k 5th wheel capacity.
    I have towed this setup from south florida to northern ca, through snow, high winds and over mountains.
    The only time I ever felt like it was too much was going through Kansas with a 30 mph crosswind, which would feel bad in any tow vehicle.
    All of the 1/2 ton haters can say what they like, but my setup is within limits and tows great.

Wow, that's a high payload for a half ton! Sounds like you're having a good time. Welcome to the site!
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t hate half tons. You may be within your limits but if your over will insurance co. cover it in a accident. I didn’t want to take that chance.
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich56 View Post
    Just wondering an interested to hear from others that are towing a Reflection 29rs or 295rl 5th wheel camper with a 1/2 ton truck? and how well it is working out for you? We have a 2018 Silverado Max Tow Package and will be adding a 2017 Reflection 29rs. Any helpful info and suggestions would be great. There must be a few out there with all the Reflection 5th Wheels we see on the road. Thanks...R

Good luck.
    Last edited by Papahoosh; 07-19-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow 3200# payload in a half ton truck is incredible. One of a kind. Congrats. That should be a great tow platform.
    Last edited by bmbl-bee; 07-19-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... The only time I ever felt like it was too much was going through Kansas with a 30 mph crosswind, which would feel bad in any tow vehicle...
    I beg to differ on the "any tow vehicle" comment. We have towed our 337 in 50+ MPH crosswinds without any handling issue at all. The class A motorhomes were having problems, so I slowed down to 55 - 60 so as not to pass them while they were having problems maintaining their lane. This was in West Texas - of course!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast