User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    SOOW is very useful in many applications. I have a short piece of SOOW that has a L14-30R (240v/30a) receptacle at my vacation house. It comes off the outside breaker box on the side of the house. I can plug my 50 amp Reflection into it with an inexpensive L14-30P to 14-50R generator adaptor and run everything in the trailer. https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...dp/B076ZTZMHM/
    First of all, my apologies for "necroposting" - as this thread is several months old. However, it is one of only two on the entire board I can find that specifically mention the L14-30.

There's an outlet in my shop building with the L14-30 twist lock receptacle. The breaker box has it labeled simply as "saw." My wife says that 20 years ago her brother plugged their camper/trailer into the outlet and ran everything fine. It looks identical to the 30amp outlet on my Craftsman 6500w generator. I metered it this morning, and found two separate hot sides at a nominal 120v (+/- 2v).

These are the same outlets, right? Properly wired (ok, maybe that's an assumption) 30amp service in my shop. Using the adapter you linked above, I should be able to hook my 50amp 2670MK up to shore power, and probably most everything except the 2nd AC (and whatever else is on that leg), right?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Gimpyknee; 08-07-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Properly closing quote.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,

I have good news for you. If it’s properly wired ie hot to hot = 240 volts, ground to hot 120 v, neutral to hot 120 v, you should be able to run BOTH AC units with the adapter. The AC units are usually wired to opposite 30 amp legs. Each ac unit will draw about 14 amps max.

I run my 50 amp plugged into my 30 amp, 4 wire dryer plug at home and run both AC units. My EMS shows max 14-20 Amps per leg with both AC units and converter running.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 08-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!!! DW is going to be excited!
    Scott & Fonda
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in the end, it didn't work out for me. I looked too fast at the outlet, it's actually a L14-20, not L14-30. Still two-leg 120v service, but on a smaller breaker. I thought I was being clever - replaced the 2-pole 20A breaker with a 2-pole 50A breaker; removed the L14-20 outlet and replaced it with a NEMA 14-50R. I was pretty happy with myself - until I plugged in the tester/surge suppressor from Progressive - and it showed an open ground. Dammit.

While I can replace light switches and plain old 15A outlets, obviously this job is above my paygrade. I ran my hurricane generator yesterday and today so DW could have AC while she organized the interior, but I'm calling an electrician to properly install a 50A pedestal. I don't want to fry the trailer in my first week. At least I was smart enough to plug in the surge suppressor/tester before plugging in the camper.
    Scott & Fonda
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    I was pretty happy with myself - until I plugged in the tester/surge suppressor from Progressive - and it showed an open ground...At least I was smart enough to plug in the surge suppressor/tester before plugging in the camper.
    Glad you did that.
    The 4 wire outlet and the 4 wires are the key: Ground, Neutral, L1, L2.
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 30A breaker will probably require a fatter wire. Hiring a pro sounds like the smart move!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So instead of making a new post I'm going to piggy back off of this one since it pertains to wiring. Should I wire the EMS before or after the auto transfer box?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wehaveyour6 View Post
    So instead of making a new post I'm going to piggy back off of this one since it pertains to wiring. Should I wire the EMS before or after the auto transfer box?
    Before. The most challenging part of the install is fitting into the mall area and putting the fat wires into the small holes.

If you include in your signature your model of your rig many answers will be easier for others. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wehaveyour6 View Post
    Before, as @orbiker has said. Here are a couple of additional bits of un-solicited advice.

We installed our HW-50C first in a Reflection by cutting the main power cable that runs from the connector on the side of the trailer to the electrical panel, and inserting the HW-50C into that cable. Then we traded in the Reflection. After removing the HW-50C to keep for our new trailer, it was surprisingly expensive and a pain to install quality butt connectors to safely reassemble the heavy 6ga cable in the Reflection. To install the HW-50C in the new trailer, instead of cutting the factory input cable I bought another short length of it, not very expensive. I detached the factory cable from the input connector on the side wall of the trailer and attached the new cable to it, then inserted the HW-50C between the new cable and the factory cable. If we need to remove the HW-50C for any reason I'll remove the original factory cable from it and re-attach it to the input connector on the side wall, easy-peasy.

If you haven't decided where to install the little monitor that shows what the HW-50C is doing, here's another bit of unsolicited advice. I wanted to install it in the controls cabinet inside the trailer. However it became too complicated and was instead installed inside the water control closet where the Nautilus panel is located. I have thanked myself many times since for failing at the initial cabinet installation attempt, because the monitor is easy to see as soon as I power up the trailer at a campsite. I flip the park's breaker and then watch the monitor while it examines the power before releasing it to the trailer. I haven't yet had any need to look at the monitor after we're plugged in and set up. Seems to me that's a better location for it, outside in the utility area, than inside the trailer. Also a heck of a lot easier to install!

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 10-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the cut and install method in our 2018 374TH-R Solitude. The controller is upside down to make the wires reach. I also wanted to put the remote screen in with the all the other buttons, but that was not going to be easy. I just put the remote screen through the return air whole and mounted it to the floor.

Having the remote inside will let you know what amount of power is being drawn by each leg. If on a 30A service, this helps a lot.

The little remote above the EMS remote is for the converter. KEN
    Last edited by orbiker; 10-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast