User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shore Power Cord AWG question-Solitude

Okay boys and girls, gotta question and I'm asking the audience.......

What AWG is the connector from the shore power connector to the transfer switch? I'm trying to finish an Amazon order and need to order cable lugs for the connection to the EMS.

Bonus points for the first correct answer!!

Now to figure out a prize..

I may have overlooked it in the manual, but I don't have a hard copy yet.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because you say you have a Solitude, if it's a 50 amp service by code, the cable needs to be 6awg. GD cites the RVIA spec for their standard which in turn refers to the NEC code book. I just went through this because I questioned the cable from the outside wall plug to the panel in my trailer.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dammit, @Wicked ace gets the prize. I bet it's a nice one.

@ThePowells you talk about "cable lugs for connection to the EMS" and I'm nearly positive you know exactly what you're doing. But just in case you have the popular Progressive Industries HW50C EMS, heads-up, the connections are made bare-wire into screw-lugs mounted inside the device.

Good luck with your installation.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!!

Somebody, somewhere makes a solid lug with no holes. I thought Grainger had them and I can't find them. I considered a few that have two smaller holes where I can put the screw lug directly between them and tighten it down. Hopefully I will have time to search it more tonight.
    Last edited by ThePowells; 11-08-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Somebody, somewhere makes a solid lug with no holes. I thought Grainger had them and I can't find them. I considered a few that have two smaller holes where I can put the screw lug directly between them and tighten it down. Hopefully I will have time to search it more tonight.
    I'll assume that we ARE talking about the Progressive Industries HW50C?

The 6ga supply cable and its main conductors are stiff and not easy to handle. Using bare-wire connections it takes some wrassling to get the three main wires into their positions in the limited space between the screw blocks and the conduit port in the box. Adding an inch or so of extra stiffness at the end of each wire by putting a lug on it might make it even more challenging to get them into their respective screw blocks. You might consider not putting lugs on until you're in the box with the wire.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely skip trying to use lugs with the low strand count #6AWG in an HW-50C. No real estate for it and too little flexibility. I've installed about 30-35 of these over the years, and still keep agreeing to do it for camping friends... The bottle of bourbon in payment must be what keeps me from making a better decision when asked the next time!

Happy modding!