User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I have owned 2 315RLTS trailers. Neither of them were wired to disconnect all loads from the battery using the disconnect switch. When the '17 was in for repairs for 2 weeks I shut off the battery and it was stone cold flat when I picked it up. My current 2020 left most 12v circuits connected. A simple wiring change on both trailers turned the battery disconnect into a true disconnect. The only thing left connected is now the breakaway switch which uses no current until activated. When the battery is shut off I don't want the tongue jack to work nor the light on it. Sort of an extra security measure. It's easy to reconnect the battery.

I suspect what's connected to the battery when the disconnect is deployed depends on the "electrician" that hurriedly wired it at the factory.
    Great info, I guess I should wonder whether to disconnect at all or just leave it connected. I keep shore power plugged in through the winter & here in NC the coldest will be in the 20's with an occasional single digits.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting on how units are wired. With my disconnect switch in the closed (normal run) position and all switchable circuits open, there is a drain of just under 250mA. The items that seem to be responsible for the drain include the gas sniffer, thermostat and radio. With the disconnect switch in the open position, the current drain is 0mA. The longest I have left the battery is 6 weeks with the disconnect switch open and no shore power and battery was still at full charge. BTW the tongue jack (including the light) and the brake breakaway switch have power regardless of the disconnect switch position.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HiUnlimitedmatt, I have a 2970RL just purchased a few months ago. I've removed the battery and will store it in my home as well. So I don't need to hook it up to a battery tender?

Lori

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfry607 View Post
    HiUnlimitedmatt, I have a 2970RL just purchased a few months ago. I've removed the battery and will store it in my home as well. So I don't need to hook it up to a battery tender?

Lori
    If you have a dual purpose wet cell battery, you don’t need a tender. It will be just fine if stored in a cool dry place for at least six months. Put it back in the trailer and connect the shore power to refresh it when you want to use it.
    Removing the battery also disables the tongue jack or landing gear so it is tamper proof during storage.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lori
    Just make sure it is fully charged, and unhook it. No need to bring it inside. The colder the better - it will hold its charge for a very, very long time. And as long as you don't drop below -59 (C), it won't freeze. The only "bad" thing cold does to a battery is reduce the total amount of power they can produce, but all that comes back in warmer temps.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lori
    Hi Lori,
    I will ditto what everyone else said: no need for the battery tender. I will check my battery's voltage in the spring and charge it if necessary before I reinstall it.

On a side note, one other benefit of removing my battery from my camper is so my wife will not worry because she thinks the battery will get stolen from the storage lot.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=xrated;265645]. And believe me, it doesn't take more than a few weeks to drain a group 24 battery even if the disconnect switch is turned off.

My camper sat unused for almost 2 months this summer, and when I used the power jack the next time, the battery had plenty of snap to run it.
    2019 Transcend 26rls
    2010 Nissan Titan w full tow package
    Rich & Sharon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take my battery out over the winter, top off the distilled water and hook up the battery tender. I could leave it in the camper and use the solar battery tender (no access to a power at storage facility) I can monitor everything at home easier.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrolyte freeze temp is dependent on state of charge. Fully charged that temp is very low, however at 50% charge its getting to the point it can freeze and that will destroy the battery. For that reason Id disagree with some of the posts here and hit it with a charger once or twice over the winter months. Most lead acid batteries will self discharge over several months, AGM types are much better in this regard.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post No

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Hello all, does anyone leave the battery(s) in their camper over winter? I was thinking of turning off the disconnect battery switch & leaving the battery in it's box. I still have a/c power to the camper for dehumidifier.
    we charge it fully then store it in the basement for the winter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast