Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Keeping Battery Charged while RV in Storage

I just need to confirm if this will work to keep my battery charged while in storage. I have access to 110 power at the storage unit. If I connect the Trailer to the 110 electrial source will this keep my battery charged? Would I need to leave the battery disconnect on or off? thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    I just need to confirm if this will work to keep my battery charged while in storage. I have access to 110 power at the storage unit. If I connect the Trailer to the 110 electrial source will this keep my battery charged? Would I need to leave the battery disconnect on or off? thanks
    The frustrating answer is, "it depends".

How long will your trailer be in storage? If it's a couple of months or less, and your battery is a decent product in good condition, you may be better off putting a full charge on the battery and then disconnecting the cables from the battery.

Turning off the battery disconnect does NOT disconnect the battery, oddly enough. Some things such as smoke and propane alarms, brakes, radio, and leveling system often remain connected and slowly draw down the battery. Turn the switch off and the battery will usually drain itself flat in a few weeks due to those still-connected loads. Disconnecting the battery completely gives it (if it's a good battery in good condition) much longer life.

If you leave the battery connected and plug into the 120 volt supply - and leave the battery disconnect switch ON - then yes, it will keep your battery charged. HOWEVER...

Dealers do not typically install top-quality batteries in these trailers. Some people have reported that leaving an unused trailer - battery not getting any up-and-down workouts - plugged in for months has severely shortened the life of their battery.

So, if storing for a month or two, charge the battery and then disconnect it completely. If storing for longer, get a proper trickle charger made for long-term battery maintenance and either take the battery home to maintain it or leave it disconnected in the trailer with the trickle charger attached.

Hope this helps.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The frustrating answer is, "it depends".

How long will your trailer be in storage? If it's a couple of months or less, and your battery is a decent product in good condition, you may be better off putting a full charge on the battery and then disconnecting the cables from the battery.

Turning off the battery disconnect does NOT disconnect the battery, oddly enough. Some things such as smoke and propane alarms, brakes, radio, and leveling system often remain connected and slowly draw down the battery. Turn the switch off and the battery will usually drain itself flat in a few weeks due to those still-connected loads. Disconnecting the battery completely gives it (if it's a good battery in good condition) much longer life.

If you leave the battery connected and plug into the 120 volt supply - and leave the battery disconnect switch ON - then yes, it will keep your battery charged. HOWEVER...

Dealers do not typically install top-quality batteries in these trailers. Some people have reported that leaving an unused trailer - battery not getting any up-and-down workouts - plugged in for months has severely shortened the life of their battery.

So, if storing for a month or two, charge the battery and then disconnect it completely. If storing for longer, get a proper trickle charger made for long-term battery maintenance and either take the battery home to maintain it or leave it disconnected in the trailer with the trickle charger attached.

Hope this helps.
    Yes, this confirms what I thought I knew. My storage is about 4-5 weeks at a time and in south Texas. Two batteries in the unit and they are pretty good quality. Disconnecting the batteries is a pain to me. Thinking I might also get the battery disconnect switch which would make that task a lot easier. Thanks for your input.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    Yes, this confirms what I thought I knew. My storage is about 4-5 weeks at a time and in south Texas. Two batteries in the unit and they are pretty good quality. Disconnecting the batteries is a pain to me. Thinking I might also get the battery disconnect switch which would make that task a lot easier. Thanks for your input.
    Here's the switch that I and a fair number of others here have installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's probably rare that you'd want to run one battery while not running the other - keeping them level with each other is a good objective - but this switch makes that possible. If one battery failed, for example, you could quickly continue to use the other one without re-configuring the cabling.

Of course it's not just plug and play with the switch - some new cabling and fuse blocks should be installed too. But yes, worth the couple of hours of work.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a few prior posts about this (with charts from battery manufacturers!), but even in Texas in the summer, you will get several months before the batteries self discharge to 50%. If you do put them on a charger (which could be hard on them, unless you get a really good trickle charger), plan on stopping by once or more to add water. Something else you don't have to do if you just leave them. But ditto on the disconnecting. One way or another, it has to be done. In the winter, they can go far longer before you have to think about them. Mine, in Minnesota, got an entire year, and were then only down to 80%.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I had a few prior posts about this (with charts from battery manufacturers!), but even in Texas in the summer, you will get several months before the batteries self discharge to 50%. If you do put them on a charger (which could be hard on them, unless you get a really good trickle charger), plan on stopping by once or more to add water. Something else you don't have to do if you just leave them. But ditto on the disconnecting. One way or another, it has to be done. In the winter, they can go far longer before you have to think about them. Mine, in Minnesota, got an entire year, and were then only down to 80%.
    Thanks for the information.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I have a question regarding this topic and please excuse my electrical ignorance. My trailer is kept in inside storage when not using it, it can sit for 1-2 months sometimes without using it. I keep it plugged into shore power when stored. I recently had to replace the junky dealer installed batteries with much better wet cell deep cycle one. If I want to leave unhooked from shore power and use 2 battery tenders do I need to unhook all 4 battery cables or just the 2 negative ones or just one negative cable. Thank you for any input.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No need to add something to keep it charged. See this post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post289000
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature is key here. As sande005 said when hot out the battery will discharge faster than when cold out.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/