User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Height Question B&W Companion

First time 5th wheel owner here. I have the B&W Companion hitch and set it to the highest position for picking up the RV from the dealer last weekend. Everything looks great, the rig sits level when hitched to the truck. It might be a slight half inch to 1 inch high in the front but this is with nothing in the rig except half tank of fresh water and more pin weight when we add all our crap to it might bring the front down that tiny bit.

I have about 8.5 or 9 inches between the rig and the bed rails. I have read you want it to be more like 7 inches and that is what the rv tech said too. Looking for opinions about lowering the hitch one setting to get that closer to the 7 inch above bed rails or leave it? Pictures below for reference, what would you do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200509_131033.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	26516

Name:	20200509_130947.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	26517

Name:	20200509_131054.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	26518
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L
    B&W Companion non-slider Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post
    First time 5th wheel owner here. I have the B&W Companion hitch and set it to the highest position for picking up the RV from the dealer last weekend. Everything looks great, the rig sits level when hitched to the truck. It might be a slight half inch to 1 inch high in the front but this is with nothing in the rig except half tank of fresh water and more pin weight when we add all our crap to it might bring the front down that tiny bit.

I have about 8.5 or 9 inches between the rig and the bed rails. I have read you want it to be more like 7 inches and that is what the rv tech said too. Looking for opinions about lowering the hitch one setting to get that closer to the 7 inch above bed rails or leave it? Pictures below for reference, what would you do?

Name:	20200509_131033.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	26516

Name:	20200509_130947.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	26517

Name:	20200509_131054.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	26518
    I would load it up, with the correct tire pressure, drive it around a bit to let it settle then measure it and then see where you are at.
    Then make any adjustments from there, or course getting to (or close as possible) the recommended 7 inches.

I set mine at one less the highest point and it settled in nicely.

I'm sure there will be a lot more help and recommendations coming your way.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went middle of the road on the height on my 323 BHS--heaviest of the Reflection fifth wheels. I think I went 1" in front of the hitch's center line. It did great when I brought my trailer into my campground 140 miles over the Smokies. My campground moves it onto sites from their storage lot.

If I have any suggestion, it would be to add a set of airbags to minimize squat. My old SuperDuty has an extra leaf in the rear springs, and it actually doesn't squat a bit. But I do use about 50 lbs. in the bags.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, go with it for awhile and see.... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great jackwagon ( love that username lol) as Frank said load it up and try it for a while, it will probably settle a little more when loaded. I run my B&W in the highest position to get the 7 inch clearance figure. I have a lot more pin weight than you and it's a little nose high but I'd rather have the clearance. Nice looking rig.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a B&W Companion 25K non slider on my F350 Dually, towing a Momentum 394M. I've got the Ford puck/5th wheel prep system on the truck and when I installed my hitch, I put it in the position to be 1" behind the axle and the height is at the middle position. When I'm loaded up and ready to go, the bed rail clearance is right at 7 1/2" and the nose is just ever so slightly down.....almost unnoticeable. I'm very happy with the 7 1/2" bed rail clearance because when I make the turn from the main hardroad onto our gravel lane, it is downhill a bit, and so the trailer wheels are still on the pavement of the hardroad when the truck is on the gravel. At mid-turn, the bedrail clearance drops down to about 2"....maybe 2 1/2". It was a bit of a pucker factor the first time I brought the trailer home, but I had two spotters watching everything as I slowly eased it forward, stopping and checking every couple of feet.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if the rv is sitting level and you have 8 or 9 inches of bedrail clearance is there a reason to adjust it lower? Is there some benefit to being at the 7 inch clearance height or is it just that you don't want to be under 7 inches?
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post
    So if the rv is sitting level and you have 8 or 9 inches of bedrail clearance is there a reason to adjust it lower? Is there some benefit to being at the 7 inch clearance height or is it just that you don't want to be under 7 inches?
    For the fear of sounding stupid, I didn't want to reply but here it goes anyway: no one that I've ever talked to has tried to get less bedrail clearance if their camper is reasonably close to level. Ive always tried to get as much as I can while somewhere close to level. I'm near 9.5" with my setup. Probably slightly nose high but I'd much rather have that buffer. Maybe I'm the odd duck but to me, more is better.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    For the fear of sounding stupid, I didn't want to reply but here it goes anyway: no one that I've ever talked to has tried to get less bedrail clearance if their camper is reasonably close to level. Ive always tried to get as much as I can while somewhere close to level. I'm near 9.5" with my setup. Probably slightly nose high but I'd much rather have that buffer. Maybe I'm the odd duck but to me, more is better.
    This is my thought process too. I'm probably overthinking it but I also just want get any info I can from the seasoned pros in case there is some weird reason to stick to 7 inches.
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot thing of any reason to try and get less bed rail clearance. I was thrilled when I hooked mine up for the first time and discovered the right at 7 1/2" bedrail clearance. In my opinion, nothing less than 6", but most importantly is to try and be level....and have at least 6". You stated that you were maybe between 1/2 - 1" high right now. Load everything up in the trailer that you will take when going camping and see what you've got. You may end up being level, or even slightly below level....but you've got some room to work with if that 8 1/2 to 9" comes down an inch or maybe a little more. Then it's a matter of trying to get level again. Personally, I wouldn't sweat a 1/2" to an inch nose low. Those of us that have Toy Haulers deal with a "moving target". Heavy toy in the back...front goes up a little. No toy in the back, front comes down a little.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast