User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good feedback, we are the same as others. When we check in to a campground we ask about a shelter, usually its the office, laundry room, game room or similar. We use our cell phones and cell phone weather radar and weather radio. If we are in an unknown area we find out the county we are in and the surrounding counties and cities. Doesn't take much effort.
    If not too severe predictions we stay in the RV, if moderate to severe predictions or a popup severe storm we would get in the truck or get to the sheltered area if there is time. Been through one bad quick popup storm, RV rocked a little bit, and it sounded like Hades outside, just about to get into the truck 10 feet away, when the storm passed and it was over.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We rode out a tropical storm/weak hurricane in a 34ft class A moving it around a hospital to stay out of the wind.

Stayed at a campground in Indiana where we were told they would come get us in case of a storm and take us their shelter (had a big storm the week before we got there.)

We have been lucky to have not been through any major storms while on the road.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out in Oregon; snow or icy winter conditions is usually the only problems. Tripcheck is our internet road notification place to go. A little wind sometimes, but is usually in the forecast ahead of time.

I have a question.
    What happens when an RV is struck by lightning with the jacks down?

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

I have a question.

KEN
    Great question!! What's the answer - anyone?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Great question!! What's the answer - anyone?
    @orbiker

With jacks down the unit is grounded so lightning will go to ground. Could fry the jack hydraulics and other electrical items. If your plugged in the electrical side is grounded too so that is another path.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    @orbiker

With jacks down the unit is grounded so lightning will go to ground. Could fry the jack hydraulics and other electrical items. If your plugged in the electrical side is grounded too so that is another path.
    That what I thought. Pretty much no different then lightning striking a tree.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @orbiker

If the RV frame or siding is metal you may have some Faraday effect protection, but I'm not sure you have much with fiberglass and wood framing. I just put my head under the pillow until it goes away.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 300GK
    2007 GMC 3500HD
    B&W Turnover/Companion

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out in Oregon; snow or icy winter conditions is usually the only problems. Tripcheck is our internet road notification place to go. A little wind sometimes, but is usually in the forecast ahead of time.

I have a question.

KEN
    @orbiker

That what I thought. Pretty much no different then lightning striking a tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by RLK436 View Post
    If the RV frame or siding is metal you may have some Faraday effect protection, but I'm not sure you have much with fiberglass and wood framing. I just put my head under the pillow until it goes away.
    Most Oregon lightning storms are pretty quick traveling. There are usually tall trees too. If we were out in the high desert, it could get a little spooky. If the storm got close, I think we would need to go sit in the truck for safety.
    Thanks all. KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLK436 View Post
    Little to no shielding from a wooden roof. The RV (or a house) is little different from the air the lightning is traveling through. The likely scenario is that it will enter the metal frame or electrical wiring. You’d do well to stay away from the anything electrical as much as possible and stay away from the walls.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12