Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Once again, I'm sorry, but the comment

"The more I think about it, the madder I get!! If we were to have guests visit and they were to open those drawers - WTH would that say about Grand Design?? Not to mention my personal opinion - at this moment!!"

sounds a bit like you really don't like the product.

I'm afraid you're going to find "working with the dealer" isn't all that productive, in most cases. Unlike the auto industry, there's no pride in product for most RV dealers. They are there to make a sale. Once they've done that, good service (for whatever reason, warranty or not) is usually not that great, or even good.

I didn't mean to sound like I was "shouting you down", but, as noted, many first time RV owners (of which we are one, but we've had our rig for 3 years now) are unaware of the issues that can rise with RV ownership. I was hoping to keep you calmed down until you find out what can be done.

As mentioned on many other threads, RV production isn't likely to improve until such time as people refuse to buy the less than quality products being produced, and that's not very likely. We buy what we like and fix the small things ourselves (much like we do at home). And hope that the manufacturer (not the dealer) will do their job if something major occurs.
    -----------
    My apologies as well - Maybe I was a little rough, I'll chalk that up to being a newbie! We love the rig and pursued a Grand Design mainly for the Customer Service reputation. But we were very surprised to see this type of issue. I used to work on Space Shuttles where quality is a must!! Obviously a TT isn't a Space Shuttle, but with this rig being our first rig - this just seemed to be such an obviously wrong fabrication problem that I would have thought would surely be caught ny inspectors. Maybe my expectations are too high, IDK?? I have spoken with the GM of the dealership and he now assures me after talking to his techs, that it can be adjusted to work as it should.

We're 500 miles from the dealership now - so we will have to confirm the "adjustment" is all that was required when we do our PDI in three weeks. In any case, I still intend to reach out to GD on Monday as I feel that this is something that should not happen. Perhaps as some have mentioned, that its naive of me, but it just seems that if enough owners complained or at least brought these types of issues to their attention, they might do something about them - I'm assuming of course they wish to maintain their Customer Service reputation. That certainly is my hope!

Perhaps I'm wrong and my expectations should be lower? I just hope thats not the case.

Thanks!
    Steve

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Hello Wicked! I have a situation where just purchased a Grand Design 2670MK yesterday! We pick it up in three weeks. While DW & I were just checking the unit out, I discovered three drawers in the bathroom vanity which strike the Bathroom door frame, when each drawer is opened. I was pretty surprised how this type of issue got through the build, let alone a pre-ship inspection, assuming one was even done??? The dealer is going to "try" to adjust the drawers. Not sure how this can be done or if it can be done (correctly).

I posted this issue ion this forum earlier today. One responder recommended that GD replace the entire vanity because obviously the vanity/drawers are not per spec. Is the email address you posted above appropriate for the issue I have? The more I think about it, the madder I get!! If we were to have guests visit and they were to open those drawers - WTH would that say about Grand Design?? Not to mention my personal opinion - at this moment!!

Thanks for any help!
    Steve
    Steve, honestly, you're boiling over for nothing. The fix is so ridiculously easy! The drawer fronts need only be shifted on the drawer box. That is it. Should it have been caught? Sure. However, the cabinets are made outside of the individual unit in mass and then installed. There's no reason in the world to replace the entire vanity. At worst, maybe you will need replacement drawer fronts if your dealer is as incompetent as most camper dealers and bugger them up taking them off to shift them. Just so you know, it's exactly the same process in residential cabinetry.
    Last edited by geotex1; 07-19-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Steve, honestly, you're boiling over for nothing. The fix is so ridiculously easy! The drawer fronts need only be shifted on the drawer box. That is it. Should it have been caught? Sure. However, the cabinets are made outside of the individual unit in mass and then installed. There's no reason in the world to replace the entire vanity. At worst, maybe you will need replacement drawer fronts if your dealer is as incompetent as most camper dealers and bigger them up taking them off to shift them. Just so you know, it's exactly the same process in residential cabinetry.
    Rob, I understand ts a easy fix. It just bugs me that this was allowed to be released/passed to the dealer and ultimately to the buyer. I could easily fix it, its just the principal. Maybe I'm over blowing the whole thing?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Rob, I understand ts a easy fix. It just bugs me that this was allowed to be released/passed to the dealer and ultimately to the buyer. I could easily fix it, its just the principal. Maybe I'm over blowing the whole thing?
    Since we've not had the pleasure of meeting around a campfire, let me introduce myself with the knowledge that I am an engineer. So, I'm not an optimist nor a pessimist, but a realist. I also have a reputation, professionally, of being direct. That said, if mal-aligned drawers are an issue that eats at you, then mass-production campers are not for you. They're imperfect, will need repairs, modifications, and require maintenance and upkeep. Not as bad as a boat, but right behind them! Your biggest disappointment will lie in the dealer experience... On the other hand, if you have the patience, it will eventually be made right. I think the ill-informed GM made this worse for you. Trust me, a GM isn't getting hands dirty with tools. Moreover, EVERY dealer we have bought from with the exception of our first new popup did not know the product to any great extent, and that was decades ago and many campers ago!!! These forums exist to help new owners in all aspects of their new rigs and camping experience, and it's needed no matter what brand you buy!
    Last edited by geotex1; 07-19-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve
    Brace yourself as you will need to mettle your expectations. My first new travel trailer was a 2014 Flagstaff V-lite that had no build problems from the factory. The only concerns while I owned it that were not of my doing were the brads used to hold trim were popping here and there but they weren't driven all the way through the trim so it was a tap with a tack hammer to fix. I went in new and naive and I got lucky there I suppose. I was following forums and I often read of issues with Forest River which Flagstaff had recently become part of and I couldn't understand why. In fact an early cry here when I first started following these GD forums was to " go get a Forest River and see".
    Two and a half years ago I got an idea in my head I wanted a fifth wheel trailer so I started to do my due diligence as to size, weight, seasonal capabilities and of course build quality. A year and half back, much like you I settled on a Grand Design. Found the one I wanted at a good price. Again because I hadn't needed to deal with it previously naive to the customer service and dealer expectations. I could go into the litany but will give the short and brief. The purchasing dealer was little help and in no hurry to get my trailer done. The first customer service rep I had, Jerry Weaver, was also of little solace getting me squared away. In fact he would let my calls go to voice message which fortunately must have been answered in rotation. I got a call back from Chris Holland whom I latched onto, Weaver pretty much discarding me. She has helped smooth some of the bumps, get me where I needed to be and back me up. Make no mistake it hasn't been easy. The trailer has spent a total of 18 weeks with one dealer or another. It seemed each time I took it out I had another fault or failure. Some I could handle, some needed dealer attention. Still I managed to put over 8300 miles on it the first year.
    Chris was good about sending parts although sometimes not always timely and she did approve and cover receipts for items I bought to correct problems I fixed. She helped getting me set up with a dealer that took an interest in getting me squared away and got me to and backed me up with the vendors dealing with wet bolt and wheel issues.
    One thing I suggest if you do own it now is you call customer support and open a case. Get yourself an assigned service person, get everything documented. Don't be afraid to bring attention to all issues or send pictures of faults. When you call customer support ask them to email a copy of the warranty ( there is a copy with the trailer manual in the hand pouch that comes with the trailer ) and become familiar with it. Inspect regularly ( the roof! there is a 90 day clause in the warranty )and become familiar with what is "workmanship". Keep that email address in a good place in case you need it.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-19-2020 at 05:39 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    An Okie with Texas plates???? I got the sense they rather disliked Texas. In 2011 I spent the worst 3 months of my life in OKC at the OU campus. The reason being they had 43 days over 100 degrees and I saw 27 of them. Not my kind of weather.
    Did y'all hear about the guy that moved from Texas to Oklahoma, and raised the IQ of both states?

<insert rim shot here>

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    Did y'all hear about the guy that moved from Texas to Oklahoma, and raised the IQ of both states?

<insert rim shot here>
    Well that is funny.... However I have a story for you...

When I did live in Oklahoma, my dad and I were fishing on the Red River, on the Oklahoma side. We had been catching fish like crazy. A couple of guys came down to the river bank on the Texas side, and started fishing. They were catching nothing. They were casting right by where we were catching fish, and trying to switch to using the same bait we were. After hours one of the guys finally yelled across the river.. "Hey Okie's, you mind if we come over there and fish with you since you are catching all the fish?" My dad yelled back: " Hang on one second". He reached into his tackle box and got out a flash light. and yelled back " I am going to shine my flash light across the river, just get on the beam and walk over to our side!!!!" The texan yelled back across the river.... " Damn Okie's you think we are stupid? We know you will turn off the flashlight when we are halfway across the river!!!!"

We smiled and packed up all our fish and tackle and went home.....

Okie

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpfinder View Post
    I keep reading about how all these folks just call up Grand Design and they send part under warranty without having to deal with a dealer. I tried calling customer service and was nicely told to go pack sand and deal with a dealer. Well since I have been calling the dealer for weeks and still can't get an answer, and the LED light bar on the rear awning that has never worked was "ordered" 2 months ago and I still have not got a call about that... I was hoping maybe I could get access to the top secret line where they will drop ship me some parts.Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Every time we've called GD regarding getting a part, we've been told "order it through a dealer". Never, again [U]NEVER[U] has GD sent anything direct to us, or even suggested it.
    @livinthelife why would anybody make this up?! The company definitely HAS done this, done it a fair bit from my reading here and in the other GD forum. It's probably true that they don't "even suggest it", but they have done it.

I've twice had parts shipped directly to me by Grand Design (technically four times since the first time involved several shipments until I got the right part!) The second time (a blown hydraulic jack) they also reimbursed me for the cost of the mobile technician to replace the jack they'd sent me.

If there's a policy shift happening I haven't heard about it here, or on the other GD forum where the same advice is repeated regularly and which is monitored and participated in daily by Grand Design company reps.

@stumpfinder per @Calbar's and @FT4NOW's advice, I'd try again and let them know that (a) you're under warranty and (b) you can't get support from a dealer.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE
    @stumpfinder per @Calbar's and @FT4NOW's advice, I'd try again and let them know that (a) you're under warranty and (b) you can't get support from a dealer.[/QUOTE]
    @boyscout, please see my update to the forum in this threa:

"Well, the advice received here was apparently great advice.

My email to Jerry, was forwarded on to another employee and I got a phone call this morning.

For the items I purchased, I have been asked to submit the receipt and will be reimbursed. For the LED light strip that I can't get a hold of the dealer on, there was no paperwork filed with GD. (She did say this does not exactly mean they are not working it, as it could have been ordered via another means) She will be sending me the LED light strip as well. @Wicked ace, it appears I owe you a beverage of your choice the next time I see you in a camp ground. I am the fat ugly guy with a 3740BH texas plates!!!

Grand Design has restored confidence in my purchase decision!!!

Okie"

GD did in fact take care of me!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @livinthelife why would anybody make this up?! The company definitely HAS done this, done it a fair bit from my reading here and in the other GD forum. It's probably true that they don't "even suggest it", but they have done it.

I've twice had parts shipped directly to me by Grand Design (technically four times since the first time involved several shipments until I got the right part!) The second time (a blown hydraulic jack) they also reimbursed me for the cost of the mobile technician to replace the jack they'd sent me.

If there's a policy shift happening I haven't heard about it here, or on the other GD forum where the same advice is repeated regularly and which is monitored and participated in daily by Grand Design company reps.

@stumpfinder per @Calbar's and @FT4NOW's advice, I'd try again and let them know that (a) you're under warranty and (b) you can't get support from a dealer.
    I don't doubt that others have been able to get parts sent direct. It's just not been my experience.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast