User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Looking at Chris's picture, you might be able to touch the converter if you are not too big.

I zipped tied some of the wires together to make a little path to get to mine. I have a lot more room in our Solitude because there is less plumbing in the way.

On the converter, there is the large red and black wires plus a 110 cord on the other end. The 110 cord plugs into the back of the circuit breaker box. There is a single outlet on the back of the circuit breaker box. Plugging the cord in was the hardest thing for me. I could touch it, but could not see it. KEN

2nd converter at the factory location

3rd converter

Note black cord going to back of breaker box.
    I will have to post a picture, but my converter is nowhere to be seen let alone touch. If I knew what amp rating to order, and the gauge wires from converter to battery, I could remove the breaker box, replace the wires from the breaker for the converter and run them to an outlet, then wire it that way. Or I could just turn off the breaker, plug the new converter to the outlet that powers the vacuum cleaner, and wire direct to the batteries which I am relocating to the are behind the pass through.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdrifter1 View Post
    I will have to post a picture, but my converter is nowhere to be seen let alone touch. If I knew what amp rating to order, and the gauge wires from converter to battery, I could remove the breaker box, replace the wires from the breaker for the converter and run them to an outlet, then wire it that way. Or I could just turn off the breaker, plug the new converter to the outlet that powers the vacuum cleaner, and wire direct to the batteries which I am relocating to the are behind the pass through.
    Look for the two sets (red & black) of #6 wire behind the false wall. One set will go to the front compartment (battery) and the other will go to the converter. See @orbikers second picture and mine for examples of the heavy #6 wires going to the converters.

The WFCO 98xx numbing the "xx" is the (max) DC output. Ours is a WFCO 9855 (i.e. a 55A DC output). Our converter uses between 3 and 13 amps AC depending on output load. Look in the distribution panel. Our converter is on its own , dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker. So max draw should be less than 20 amps (it should be 16 amps max (80% of 20) if it followed NEC, but trailers have no idea what the National Electrical Code is )

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 12-05-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Look for the two sets (red & black) of #6 wire behind the false wall. One set will go to the front compartment (battery) and the other will go to the converter. See @orbikers second picture and mine for examples of the heavy #6 wires going to the converters.

The WFCO 98xx numbing the "xx" is the (max) DC output. Ours is a WFCO 9855 (i.e. a 55A DC output). Our converter uses between 3 and 13 amps AC depending on output load. Look in the distribution panel. Our converter is on its own , dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker. So max draw should be less than 20 amps (it should be 16 amps max (80% of 20) if it followed NEC, but trailers have no idea what the National Electrical Code is )

Chris
    That is exactly what I need. So if Imorder a 55 amp lithium chargers, run 6 ga wired from converter to battery, and either turn off the existing converter at the breaker and use the vacuum outlet, or rewire from the converter breaker to a new outlet box, I’m good!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    It will barely work. If you are going to spend almost $2000 on batteries, step up to the plate and get the correct converter. The batteries will charge better and faster.
    HERE is a link to a conversion table for Progressive Dynamics.

I got my converter off the floor by mounting it to the wall.
    KEN
    orbiker is right. Both the battery company and WFCO will say their converter will work. BUT it will not charge them to 100%..at max 80%. Change the converter out!
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]orbiker is right. Both the battery company and WFCO will say their converter will work. BUT it will not charge them to 100%..at max 80%. Change the converter out![/QUOTE
    I finally located the converter under the transfer switch. All is good and I’ve ordered the new Progressive Dynamics converter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CB0BAAB-2204-4AA1-ACEF-F8C23BB46D03.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	31129

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdrifter1 View Post
    ]orbiker is right. Both the battery company and WFCO will say their converter will work. BUT it will not charge them to 100%..at max 80%. Change the converter out![/QUOTE
    I finally located the converter under the transfer switch. All is good and I’ve ordered the new Progressive Dynamics converter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CB0BAAB-2204-4AA1-ACEF-F8C23BB46D03.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	31129
    I have to admit to some confusion regarding this converter issue and lithium batteries. The 9800 series of converters does have a bulk charging rate of 14.2 V and that seems within the specification of battle born site. Is it only because The bulk charging rate only runs for four hours? Is this why it won’t charge the lithium batteries all the way?
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    I have to admit to some confusion regarding this converter issue and lithium batteries. The 9800 series of converters does have a bulk charging rate of 14.2 V and that seems within the specification of battle born site. Is it only because The bulk charging rate only runs for four hours? Is this why it won’t charge the lithium batteries all the way?
    That is one reason. But the other one is that the WFCOs are notorious for charging at nothing other than 13.6 volts. In know what the specs state.... But my experience and MANY others has been different.
    Be happy. Replace it with one that will do the job. They really are not that expensive in the total price of the upgrade.
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    That is one reason. But the other one is that the WFCOs are notorious for charging at nothing other than 13.6 volts. In know what the specs state.... But my experience and MANY others has been different.
    Be happy. Replace it with one that will do the job. They really are not that expensive in the total price of the upgrade.
    I got the progressive dynamics converter and installed it. Everything is working great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12