User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Drive or Not to Drive I-95 thru NYC

As we leave Washington DC on our Fall trip we'll be heading north to Bar Harbor, ME. I use a couple different trip planners and both show the quickest route to be on I-95 through New York City. Total distance for this leg will be 711 miles +/- and we'll break that up into two days. I've never driven through NYC, has anyone found it easier and less stressful to go around NYC via an alternate route?
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid growing up in Massachusetts, I remember when my parents chose the NYC route and got into issues with "propane" not being allowed on some part of that route on a bridge, I think. When traveling that way now, we avoid it all together. I have always driven towards Scranton on I-81, taking I-84 out of Scranton, and crossing the Hudson on I-84. No issues with towing, at least a couple of years ago. Yes, it is longer, but worth it to me. I cannot talk to the issues that may be happening today with traveling through Northeast states regarding the virus and quarantining.
    Good luck
    Rob
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go up to Scranton and hit I-84 to cross the river north of the city. If you have the time, driving through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area from Straudsburg on US 209 to I-84 at Milford is beautiful. Entering, you'll see signs that say, "Trucks Prohibited." That's commercial through trucks - there are a number of camping areas in the recreation area and RVs are fine. We did it with a 36' fifth wheel.

Rob

EDIT/PS: we have in-laws in the Boston area and they have to get a COVID test and/or quarantine coming into the state. Check before you travel anywhere in New England.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tolls will likely eat any savings from driving around. Probably close to $100 just crossing the Hudson.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM Traveler View Post
    As we leave Washington DC on our Fall trip we'll be heading north to Bar Harbor, ME. I use a couple different trip planners and both show the quickest route to be on I-95 through New York City. Total distance for this leg will be 711 miles +/- and we'll break that up into two days. I've never driven through NYC, has anyone found it easier and less stressful to go around NYC via an alternate route?
    I live NW of Philadelphia, Rt95 through the city you want to avoid too. Travel early on a weekend or holiday if possible and take Rt95 up to Rt295 before Wilmington Delaware crossing into New Jersey. Take Rt295 past Philadelphia and up around Trenton to Rt195 eastbound which will take you to the New Jersey Turnpike (Rt95). Look for Rt18 west which is a short cut that meets Rt287 westbound in New Jersey to take to the Tappen Zee, (now Gov Cuomo) bridge crossing the Hudson river at Nyack, New York. This seems like a big loop around but it is worth it. Top Tip, fuel prices jump once you get into New York and stay higher through New England so get off at Rt17 exit at West Mahwah, NJ to fill up. Following Rt287 You can find Rt 95 again just before reaching the Connecticut state line.
    If you leave early you will cross the Hudson getting into White Plains around noon, then Connecticut shortly after.
    What Rob says about Covid testing and quarantine is true in all New England since last April. Hopefully by next fall things get back to a more normal pace and you won't have to worry.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-06-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Wicked ace gave it to you... Avoid towing through the I-95 corridor through the Mid-Atlantic in general.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I had forgotten about the propane regs and restrictions, will keep that in mind when planning our route.
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding advice, will definitely use this for planning our route. Thanks!
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove our old Jayco 32BHDS through NYC from Philly to Boston. It was an experience for us, having never been to or through NYC before......but I would never do it again. I remember the GW bridge toll ate us up.

We came back 84 on the way home.

But the experience is part of camping so I don’t regret it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we'll be heading north to Bar Harbor, ME
    Probably enough said about 95 thru NYC. As you approach Boston, 95N loops around which isn't too bad (depending on time of day/traffic, etc). If you want to take a larger loop around Boston that's a little less stressful, consider 495.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast