User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to have warranty extended due to COVID-19?

We purchased our 2019 Reflection new in February of 2020. We placed it in storage for a month while we shopped for a truck. Then COVID hit and due to a variety of related issues, we were unable to buy the truck when we had expected. As a result the trailer has sat in storage for 11 months now and we are not sure when we will be able to take it on its maiden voyage. We are looking at March. So, the basic warranty may expire before we have a chance to check everything out in the real world. We do visit the trailer about every two or three weeks to top up the batteries, organize the kitchen, etc and have not found any issues.

I have not yet approached GD but I wonder if anyone else has faced this issue and if so, was GD willing to offer some extension?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not expect any extended warranty. That was a personal choice not to use it. even with covid we've been on seven trips this year. Five since we purchased our new GD in June. I wish you luck though because you need to use it to see if it has any issues before warranty runs out. Luckily ours has had no warranty work needed so far.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a couple of instances (posted on the forum) where warranty issues were identified during the 1-year warranty period but, due to the pandemic, parts could not be gotten or the dealer could not get to the repair. In those cases, the claim was documented by GD and given a case number so that the problems could be fixed when the situation changed - even though it would be after the 1-year time period. In your case, I'm afraid it would be as @Cannon07 has suggested. You need to do your best to identify any issues now and bring them to GD's attention.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is just general warranty because you didn't use it, no.

If it was something noted at a dealer and part's unavailable until after warranty, then yes.

Some of us have to winterize and look at it not moving for 3 months, but we don't get 15 months of warranty because of it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I HATE saying this, as I think they are generally complete rip-offs....but you may want to shop for an extended warranty. You may even find "deals" that are far more comprehensive, and cheaper, than what your dealer would have offered from a 3rd party......but ALWAYS check for coverage exclusions, BBB ratings, on line reviews, etc. There are dozens of companies that just want to take your money, for every one that actually provides coverage....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I HATE saying this, as I think they are generally complete rip-offs....but you may want to shop for an extended warranty. You may even find "deals" that are far more comprehensive, and cheaper, than what your dealer would have offered from a 3rd party......but ALWAYS check for coverage exclusions, BBB ratings, on line reviews, etc. There are dozens of companies that just want to take your money, for every one that actually provides coverage....
    My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitJim View Post
    We purchased our 2019 Reflection new in February of 2020. We placed it in storage for a month while we shopped for a truck. Then COVID hit and due to a variety of related issues, we were unable to buy the truck when we had expected. As a result the trailer has sat in storage for 11 months now and we are not sure when we will be able to take it on its maiden voyage. We are looking at March. So, the basic warranty may expire before we have a chance to check everything out in the real world. We do visit the trailer about every two or three weeks to top up the batteries, organize the kitchen, etc and have not found any issues.

I have not yet approached GD but I wonder if anyone else has faced this issue and if so, was GD willing to offer some extension?
    Our 2018 Solitude was on the dealer's lot for five months due to warranty issues, problems that were directly the fault of Grand Design and the dealer.

The company refused to extend our warranty for the lost five months of use that were THEIR fault. My guess is that you won't get far with a claim caused by things beyond their control.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitJim View Post

Thank you.
    We bought and took possession of our 303RLS the week before Christmas a couple years ago. Living in Minnesota it was pretty obvious that we wouldn’t be using it for a few months. Our dealer agreed that the warranty would not begin until May 1. This was the factory warranty, we did not buy an extended warranty. We haven’t had any issues so no reason to use the warranty. I would talk to your dealer and maybe Grand Design too. They just might work with you. If your experience is like ours you will not need it anyway.

Good luck and enjoy you new rig!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned from a winter trip in March 2020. My warranty was going to run out at the end of May 2020. I had issues pertaining to my furniture and the dealer could not get me in until middle of June. I called GD and they documented everything that needed to be fixed and told me it would be taken care of. I did not get my trailer back until September because of Covid and shipping delays. Everything was covered under warranty. GD stepped up. Don't know if this will help you or not.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    I returned from a winter trip in March 2020. My warranty was going to run out at the end of May 2020. I had issues pertaining to my furniture and the dealer could not get me in until middle of June. I called GD and they documented everything that needed to be fixed and told me it would be taken care of. I did not get my trailer back until September because of Covid and shipping delays. Everything was covered under warranty. GD stepped up. Don't know if this will help you or not.
    Yes, typically, if a warranty problem is identified within the warranty period, it will still be covered, even if it's not actually fixed until after the warranty expires.

I believe OP is asking about a rig that hasn't been used, and may not be before the warranty expires. Wants to know if they will still be covered because of the delay in identifying problems.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast