User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good video. The weights of your rv and the truck capacities are important and not to be ignored. As you can see from all the info available, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are ancient terms that have no value today (my F150 can handle 1.35 tons). Anybody who generalizes about 1/2 tons, etc is not looking at the data. For example, my F150 has more payload than many F250
    s.

I do not recommend towing above your truck's capacities. That said, an F150 with HDPP can tow a lot within its capacity. People saying otherwise are throwing in a lot of opinion, not facts. If you like those opinions, buy a big truck.
    Last edited by Foothiller; 02-14-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reflection 150 series- We love it and have zero issues with my 2020 F-150 pulling it. I will say we only travel 4-6 hours per trip. After reading all the responses here I am very concerned if I decide to take it on a longer trip. My dealer has assured me that the truck I have will easily do the job. I can tell you I NEVER ride with water in the camper. That is a lot of weight I avoid.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NB Canada. As a newbie I've been looking for references all over to get educated. I'm not a KYD fanboy, but his explanation of gross weights and capacities seemed to make sense, and went into more detail than other posts/articles I found. Not that it's all that complicated, but when one is just getting into this whole TT thing, a lot to absorb. would welcome any resources or references others have to share, which is really what the forum is all about.
    JayRay
    2021 2600 RB; GMC Sierra HD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    That's a good video. The weights of your rv and the truck capacities are important and not to be ignored. As you can see from all the info available, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are ancient terms that have no value today (my F150 can handle 1.35 tons). Anybody who generalizes about 1/2 tons, etc is not looking at the data. For example, my F150 has more payload than many F250
    s.

I do not recommend towing above your truck's capacities. That said, an F150 with HDPP can tow a lot within its capacity. People saying otherwise are throwing in a lot of opinion, not facts. If you like those opinions, buy a big truck.
    Only diesel 3/4 tons. All gas 3/4 tons will have more payload than all F150's. Since no one buys a F150 2wd reg cab 8' box XL as a tow vehicle I won't put that one in the mix.
    The upside to 3/4 tons is the RAWR. Max out the GVWR on a 1/2 ton and you're at or near the RAWR. Not so with a 3/4 ton.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    @NB Canada. As a newbie I've been looking for references all over to get educated. I'm not a KYD fanboy, but his explanation of gross weights and capacities seemed to make sense, and went into more detail than other posts/articles I found. Not that it's all that complicated, but when one is just getting into this whole TT thing, a lot to absorb. would welcome any resources or references others have to share, which is really what the forum is all about.
    This is what I found to be the most helpful and reliable tool when I was looking for a truck / trailer. If you enter honest data you will get a safe and reliable evaluation of what will work. You can also play with numbers to see what affects and outcomes you can get. I'll say this like Foothiller I in no way wanted a truck that rides like a 3/4 ton or better.
    https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/towing-help-fifth
    Open the page and enter your Make, model & year then scroll down to find the truck description that matches yours. When you get your truck click on the tab to "download rating". On that page you'll see the ratings and a worksheet with those numbers already entered in the appropriate boxes so you need to do the rest. My goal was at least a 10% minimum below the maximum rated vales.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingtogorving View Post
    It is so confusion, I see lots of 150 1/2 ton option in 5th wheels but can't seem to see that a 1/2 ton truck can truly tow with confidence.

thoughts?
    Owned a Toyota Tundra for many years and towed a fifth wheel that came in around 10,000 pounds with no issues at all, truck was rated for 10,500 pounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Every time I see a post referring to the truck not being able to stop the trailer I want to ask if their TT didn't come with brakes.
    Love our Titan Disc brakes on our TT.
    2019 Imagine 2670MK, Titan disc brakes, Morryde CRE3000
    2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited TRD; RAS
    Bikes: Jamus Dragonslayer 26+ Sport, Electra Townie Go 8i
    Kayaks: Jackson Allwater, Liquid Logic

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    Here is info from RV Safety that been RV education since thew 1990s.
    https://rvacademy.com/my-class/match...ks-to-trailers
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have years of experience as well and my half ton pulls,carries and stops my trailer with ease
    One finger driving on the highway and minimal suck/push by passing rigs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    I suspect that you are within the numbers for your truck so it would be expected to do just fine. Generally speaking under normal towing conditions most trucks would pull,carriy and stop a trailer with ease if you are within the numbers and probably over the numbers. The problem is when you are in abnormal conditions I.E. suddenly having to break and/or swerve to avoid hitting something. That's when the weight of the truck vs the weight of the trailer really come into play. A one ton truck would handle that situation better with your trailer than your 1/2 ton truck. Same for my truck and trailer. As long as you are within ALL the numbers then legally you are good to go. That's why I said it was a judgement call. How much of a safety margin are you comfortable with? Are you comfortable at 99% of your max numbers or would you feel better at 80%? 60%?

Back in the 80s I had a 23' TT. I pulled it with a Chevy Blazer. I had a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Back then I was young and dumb. If the tires looked OK I hitched up and went. I never weighed the trailer. I didn't worry about weight capacities, tire pressure, and tire and bearing temperatures. I towed with the refrigerator running on propane. (Another controversial topic) I did that for three seasons. Never repacked the bearings. The Blazer pulled, carried, and stopped the trailer seemingly with ease. Never had a problem. Was I safe? I have no idea.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I suspect that you are within the numbers for your truck so it would be expected to do just fine. Generally speaking under normal towing conditions most trucks would pull,carriy and stop a trailer with ease if you are within the numbers and probably over the numbers. The problem is when you are in abnormal conditions I.E. suddenly having to break and/or swerve to avoid hitting something. That's when the weight of the truck vs the weight of the trailer really come into play. A one ton truck would handle that situation better with your trailer than your 1/2 ton truck. Same for my truck and trailer. As long as you are within ALL the numbers then legally you are good to go. That's why I said it was a judgement call. How much of a safety margin are you comfortable with? Are you comfortable at 99% of your max numbers or would you feel better at 80%? 60%?

Back in the 80s I had a 23' TT. I pulled it with a Chevy Blazer. I had a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Back then I was young and dumb. If the tires looked OK I hitched up and went. I never weighed the trailer. I didn't worry about weight capacities, tire pressure, and tire and bearing temperatures. I towed with the refrigerator running on propane. (Another controversial topic) I did that for three seasons. Never repacked the bearings. The Blazer pulled, carried, and stopped the trailer seemingly with ease. Never had a problem. Was I safe? I have no idea.
    I have no comfort number In fact I have no plans on weighing this rig just like my last Jayco I towed for 6 years. Never weighed it either

Don’t really care what the numbers are. I am sure they are close. All I know for the first 1300 KM I have towed this it was effortless with absolutely no fear or “white knuckle” driving. This is through Ontario and Quebec as well in winter on the worst roads

You do realize there really isn’t any “legal” numbers for recreational use
    Look at your payload sticker
    The most important word in there is “should”
    Should is a recommendation. The only legal term that works in court is “must”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast