User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    And there it is...

As pointed out, he's not over, he's a 100 lbs under.

Don't see the problem.

Mike
    Is that with a full fuel tank?

I am certain I would not want to be within 100 lbs of max. I want a little more margin than that.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

I am certain I would not want to be within 100 lbs of max. I want a little more margin than that.
    Why?

Do you not believe that manufacturers already put “margins” in place or that they spec right to the breaking point?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am no expert or engineer, I believe the number of heavier 5 th wheels pulled by lighter capacity trucks every where ( like one of the post above) recommends that this combination of truck and trailer is safe and reliable. I also believe everyone saying the 450 is derated to stay in the same classification and not having to have a commercial classification, there are too heavy of brakes, front axle, higher gear ratios (4.3), beefier frame all to support less than 1,000 lbs. more than the 350( which is also one nice truck!). Also, I would think the heavy duty broad front axle should be more stable in strong cross wind or sudden stop. I am happy that heavily loaded I’m still within trucks ratings (sticker).
    I posted to just get all of your good views on this matter. It seems that if I would ever go to a bigger trailer such as some momentum’s I would have to watch the weight a little more closely. This is the best truck I have ever owned and I love it! I was concerned about using it as a daily driver and so far I only want to drive it instead of my other good cars. It is great on curvy mountain roads in handling, it is not too stiff but has a Cadillac drive! It’s windows and height make it wonderful for viewing while driving. And now I feel better about the combination I am towing and respect the post above!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dragonfly; 05-31-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    B&W Companion 25k Puck system
    2019 Solitude 385 GK
    2013 F-350 SRW (previous ); B & W 18k Companion Hitch (previous)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Why?

Do you not believe that manufacturers already put “margins” in place or that they spec right to the breaking point?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It doesn't really matter what the Engineers designed into the truck if you are trying to defend yourself in court. If you are towing heavy and it can be proved that you are overweight, you are screwed.

Safety comes in two forms in this case, what is safe to tow with the truck and what is safe to defend in court.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that was full gas tank but absolutely no cargo including people.
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    2019 Solitude 385 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Why?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I agree with you NB, I am sure they put margins in place. I’m just trying to be sure of what I am towing and all this discussion helps! I don’t think my weight will always be the same necessarily on every trip and therefore don’t want to perhaps overload.
    Thanks!
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    2019 Solitude 385 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't really matter what the Engineers designed into the truck if you are trying to defend yourself in court. If you are towing heavy and it can be proved that you are overweight, you are screwed.

Safety comes in two forms in this case, what is safe to tow with the truck and what is safe to defend in court.
    But we are not talking about being “over”
    We are talking about keeping a margin under

Why?

Have you ever read about a recreational trailer court case?
    I hear this mentioned time and time again but have never seen it
    Recreational not commercial

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wrong calculations:

I used payload(listed on door sticker) of 4635
    I subtracted pin weight(actually weighed) 3760
    Giving me available cargo capacity of 875

I went back and reviewed my numbers:
    14000 GVWR
    9,160 full tank, no people/cargo (Truck weight actually weighed brand new)
    Difference is 4840 payload instead of 4635(sticker payload)available payload that I was using in my calculations. Therefore my true available capacity after pin weight 3760 is 1080 instead of 875. Much better!!
    Sorry, my bad!
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    2019 Solitude 385 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    My wrong calculations:

I used payload(listed on door sticker) of 4635
    I subtracted pin weight(actually weighed) 3760
    Giving me available cargo capacity of 875

I went back and reviewed my numbers:
    14000 GVWR
    9,160 full tank, no people/cargo (Truck weight actually weighed brand new)
    Difference is 4840 payload instead of 4635(sticker payload)available payload that I was using in my calculations. Therefore my true available capacity after pin weight 3760 is 1080 instead of 875. Much better!!
    Sorry, my bad!
    Maybe the sticker takes into account a 205lbs. driver or something before listing available payload?
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    2019 Solitude 385 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I bought the 2021 F-450 for hopefully having more than enough payload to tow my Solitude 385 GK (16,800 GVWR)
    I loaded the Solitude to 15,500 w/ 3,760 pin weight.
    My GVWR of the Truck is 14,000 and payload is 4635 on door sticker. 4635-3760 = 875 cargo capacity which seems to be not much available cargo capacity if you figure :
    400 for people, 120 hitch, 43 for 5 gallon can diesel, tools and misc. 200 with about 100 safety factor.
    My 450 is heavily optioned(I didn’t realize how my payload would be reduced so much)

Any suggestions or observations ?

Thank!
    Allan (Dragonfly)
    You are still under weight so I really would not worry about it. When we got our F-450 from a Ford dealership that specializes in heavy duty trucks, I was comparing it to an F-550 (a commercial vehicle) and basically the biggest difference for weight carrying capacity were the tires. The head mechanic there even said that the F-450s are d-rated to keep them in a specific class and if I was concerned about weight ratings close to what the max was listed at, change out my tires for heavier duty ones. So I went to the Cooper Roadmaster tires that have a higher weight rating and have loved them. They have a much more aggressive tread pattern that has gotten me out of places the highway tread tires would have been stuck. They last longer and balance out better than the stock Continental. We tow a FL380-R with it loaded down for a year long trip, (at 16740 GVWR), 125 gallons fresh water (over sized tank, 106 gallons gray, 106 gallons black (I filled up all of the tanks with freshwater to have it weighed, I normally don't tow with any liquids in the trailer except about 10 gallons of fresh), combo extended fuel (45 gallons) tool box, 6.5 generator in front of trailer two 6 volt house batteries, one 12 volt generator starting battery. And I am 100lbs under rear axel, 350lbs under front axel and about 50lbs (again, I don't tow any long distances with that liquid weight) under maximum on trailer axles. If your concerned about weight ratings on the truck axles you might try rearranging the load in your RV to towards the rear.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast