User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile Satellite System

Hi folks. Looking for some input/experience on satellite systems for our Reflection. In your opinion, what is the best mobile receiver. We currently have DISH service at home, so that would like be our first choice, although we are open to suggestions. Thank you.
    Mike
    Mike 🏌️⛳️
    2017 Ram 2500 CC, 6.7L Cummins Diesel 🐏
    2022 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    Full-time since 8/9/21

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have Dish, that is your best option for satellite for the dollar because you can tack on another receiver inexpensively and pay for only the months you use it. You will just need to buy your receiver and Dish. We use a Wally and Winegard carryout.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you already have Dish, that is your best option for satellite for the dollar because you can tack on another receiver inexpensively and pay for only the months you use it. You will just need to buy your receiver and Dish. We use a Wally and Winegard carryout.
    If you have dish at home, you get the RV covered with same plan for 7.00 month.
    Get the dish pro tailgate antenna that can get eastern arch, and western arch sat’s. 64,110,119,129 sat’s.
    Be prepared to connect the antenna directly to the Walley receiver, due to the poor connection and cable used in the trailers.
    Good luck
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the dish service and had it at home and RV, but we are big sports fans and they dropped our local teams from their list. I had to replace the home system and have a portable dish to use as a planter at home.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on DirecTV, and I just take one of my home receivers with me. I use a simple 18" round antenna and manually aim it. Unfortunately no HD reception with this antenna. Dish and one of the auto-aim antennas is definitely the way to go.

I also load up a bunch of programs on the receiver HD before leaving home. Lots of locations we stay in have trees that block sat signal, so pre-recorded programs are always available.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoetzel View Post
    If you have dish at home, you get the RV covered with same plan for 7.00 month.
    Get the dish pro tailgate antenna that can get eastern arch, and western arch sat’s. 64,110,119,129 sat’s.
    Be prepared to connect the antenna directly to the Walley receiver, due to the poor connection and cable used in the trailers.
    Good luck
    We're looking too. Is this the antenna you have?
    https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...hoCsIMQAvD_BwE

Just wondering if you have it roof mounted or use it as a portable? I can see some of the the pros & cons, trees vs security. I do like the idea of having it roof mounted, particularly due to security concerns.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by caswelld; 07-07-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
    We're looking too. Is this what you have?
    https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...hoCsIMQAvD_BwE

Just wondering if you have it roof mounted or use it as a portable? I can see some of the the pros & cons, trees vs security. I do like the idea of having it roof mounted, particularly due to security concerns.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Yes, that is exactly what I have. It can support two receivers, but the second one can only see the one sat. that the main is on. “Kinda a pain”.
    I use mine as a portable, because of trees, pole obstructions etc.
    I mount it on roof for security, and not getting kicked or bumped into near ground.
    I always bungee cord it to ladder, as I lost one to a gust of wind two years ago , off the roof and on the ground.
    Buy the replacement warranty for$ 19.99 , I have had a couple of these walley boxes fail over the years.
    Just always be able to see the clear southern skyline before you set up camp.
    Get a free app for phone that locates satellite, the one I use is “SatFinder lite “ , it will verify sat position before you set up camp.
    Hope this helps you out
    Cheers
    Paul
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, there are many threads on this topic. That said, we are full-timers and use the Pathway X2 on Dish Network with a Wally, hard drive (for DVR functions), and a Flex Pack with locals. The X2 is Dish's top-of-the-line automatic portable antenna and is capable of picking up both the eastern and western arcs. That way you can get HD locals no matter what part of the country you're in. A portable antenna also increases the chances that you can get a signal with the campground or RV park has a lot of trees. With Dish you can also change the locals when you move using the app on your smartphone.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooner than later Elon’s Star link will be available. Word has it they will be making mobile systems ie for the campers etc that will work of your plan at home. I placed my reservation with them already. Speed testing looks amazing with the growth potential seeming to be exponential.
    I’ll keep ya posted but the ability to have internet connectivity using my streaming accounts as if I was home seems to be a game changer should it come to fruition.
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function on the forum, there are many threads on this topic. That said, we are full-timers and use the Pathway X2 on Dish Network with a Wally, hard drive (for DVR functions), and a Flex Pack with locals. The X2 is Dish's top-of-the-line automatic portable antenna and is capable of picking up both the eastern and western arcs. That way you can get HD locals no matter what part of the country you're in. A portable antenna also increases the chances that you can get a signal with the campground or RV park has a lot of trees. With Dish you can also change the locals when you move using the app on your smartphone.

Rob
    The forum search function for satellite antennas will yield one thread from January addressing the best sat antenna system. Things change in 6 months so I was glad to read Mike's post.

From back in January a couple of posters said they liked the Pathway X2 and one said to stay away from the King Tailgater, yet the KING DTP4900 DISH Tailgater Pro Premium was the Amazon Choice rated 41/2 stars with nearly 1000 reviews. The Winegard Pathway X2 had similar ratings on Amazon but cost a bit more. Both have nationwide coverage.

I had the Winegard T-4 in-motion sat antenna (Directv) on 2 motor homes & was not impressed with Winegard technology nor their customer service. On both it took several tries to get the antenna to lock on, but once it did the SD reception was good. Initial connection to the sats was seldom easy. This could have something to do with Directv satellites. We switched to Dish.

Another consideration for me is the Pathway X2 is bigger than the Tailgater and might not fit into storage of the Imagine line. So when the Imagine arrives in a couple of weeks we will likely go with the KING DTP4900 DISH Tailgater Pro Premium.

We're still trying to decide if we want to have it mounted on the roof or haul it out every time we set up camp. In our motor homes trees were occasionally an issue, but when they were we just used the park cable system. Thanks Mike for the thread.

Happy camping.

Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast