User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter travel (2800BH)

I’m new to this and I’m thinking that when I travel between places with hookups this winter it makes sense to drain the water? Would I be able to just drain the tank, low-points and call it good? Best to drain the heater as well? (maybe mid 20s F at night?)

Similarly, when I hook up to city water with the system drained will this force water in to the water pump or is this prevented by a check valve?

Am I asking the right questions?

Thanks,
    Devan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford Expedition XLT w/ Heavy Duty Tow

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same situation. New to towing a RV in winter across the country. My plan is to drain the tanks before I break camp each day and pour some antifreeze in the sinks/toilet. Then if the forecast shows freezing temps along my route I will drain the water heater, blow out the water lines and drain the low-points.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blowing out the lines may be prudent, emptying the fresh tank & water heater, I wouldn't.
    A few years back we went to the Grand Canyon. It was to get below freezing at night & mornings. All their hose bibs were frozen in the mornings, people were out beating their FW hoses on picnic tables. With water in the tank we were able to shower, make coffee etc.
    If you keep a large volume of water in the tank, it wont freeze, same with the heater...unless your traveling in holy-moley cold. JMHO
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter travel (2800BH)

Code:
     Blowing out the lines may be prudent, emptying the fresh tank & water heater, I wouldn't.
    So I know this is a dumb question but, how do I blow out the lines without emptying the tank? Is there some kind of valve to turn this off?

Thanks,
    Devan
    Last edited by Devanl; 10-30-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add original comment for question
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devanl View Post
    So I know this is a dumb question but, how do I blow out the lines without emptying the tank? Is there some kind of valve to turn this off?

Thanks,
    Devan
    Turn the valve to city water, this will bypass the fresh water tank and the pump. If your talking about the water heater tank you will need to use the bypass valves, ( may be easier to drain it).
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaker View Post
    Turn the valve to city water, this will bypass the fresh water tank and the pump. If your talking about the water heater tank you will need to use the bypass valves, ( may be easier to drain it).
    Added a quote to put context to my follow up, but that does answer my original question. Thanks!
    @Gronk1 are you saying that you are able to evacuate water lines while having the fresh water tank filled?

Thanks,
    Devan

2019 Imagine 2800BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a quote to put context to my follow up, but that does answer my original question. Thanks!
    @Gronk1 are you saying that you are able to evacuate water lines while having the fresh water tank filled?

Thanks,
    Devan

Yes, as long as you keep your pump turned off and blow air through the city water connection it should empty your lines with water in the tank. But there may still be water in the line from the city water valve and the fresh tank and the pump.

BTW: I'm no expert, this is just based on my understanding of how the system works.
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m new to this and I’m thinking that when I travel between places with hookups this winter it makes sense to drain the water? Would I be able to just drain the tank, low-points and call it good? Best to drain the heater as well? (maybe mid 20s F at night?)

Similarly, when I hook up to city water with the system drained will this force water in to the water pump or is this prevented by a check valve?

Thanks,
    Devan

I have never tried this but I read on this forum in the past. Some have said that you can run the furnace in the camper while you are towing. This, in theory, should keep some heat in the camper and around the tanks under the floor.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    Devan

Mid 20s at night. What are the daytime temps? I assume you are traveling during the day and running the furnace at night?

Unless it will be a lot colder then you indicate I wouldn't drain anything on the fresh side. Grey & black tanks if you need to. And keeping the fresh water tank full and not leaving a hose connected is a good idea as this would be the 1st to freeze.

Draining every morning to move to another campground sounds like a lot of work to me.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the below freezing temps last only a few hours, the thermal mass of the warm air inside your unit and the fresh tank should allow you to travel to your next stop. The only time I worry is when the temps will stay sub freezing for the entire travel time. I don’t know about all GD models/years, but our 2022 Imagine has everything inside the underbelly, except the fresh water and low point drains, which should be okay exposed to a few hours of freezing temps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast