User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long can I leave borax and Dawn in the black tank?

We were expecting to get sewer hookups at this site we came to today, so about half way there we took a break and I put some dawn and borax into the black tank by way of the toilet to keep things clean. Thing is, here’s no sewer hookups. There is a dump station but the weather here isn’t great. We aren’t full quite yet but I expect we will be by the time we leave so without the cleaning stuff in there I’d just wait till the day we leave to dump. But I’m not sure how long I should leave borax and dawn in the tank. Not sure if they will eat up fittings or gaskets or something else. Pretty new to this all, so I appreciate any helpful comments.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateritter View Post
    We were expecting to get sewer hookups at this site we came to today, so about half way there we took a break and I put some dawn and borax into the black tank by way of the toilet to keep things clean. Thing is, here’s no sewer hookups. There is a dump station but the weather here isn’t great. We aren’t full quite yet but I expect we will be by the time we leave so without the cleaning stuff in there I’d just wait till the day we leave to dump. But I’m not sure how long I should leave borax and dawn in the tank. Not sure if they will eat up fittings or gaskets or something else. Pretty new to this all, so I appreciate any helpful comments.
    I have never used either of those.... But I gotta wonder why you want to keep the tank clean? It holds bodily waste. It will never be clean. If you are trying to keep the sensors working well... I can tell you that in the 30 years I have been RVing, that is the number one gripe I read about, And the many home brews I have seen people come up with, do not seem to help at all.
    Interestingly though, my sensors on 3 trailers over the last 25 years have been reliable. I do not do anything special as for as ice, ridex, geo method etc. But my camping usage IS different than most.

I always boondock, and always go on trips at least 200 miles from home one way. I ALWAYS dump at home. This means that my tanks contents are subject to quite a bit of sloshing on the trip. Couple that with using bacteria based treatments that digest waste, and what I see in the clear sewer attachment is pretty much no solids or TP. It is all disolved. TP on the sensors is the number one reason they act up. When it is wet, it basically shorts them. Most people dump at the campground before returning home. That means that what they are dumping is pretty much coming out of the tank in the same condition it entered it....And that WILL lead to problems.

My advice? Stop with the home brews, find a place to dump either at home or close to it. Use bacteria based treatments
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't hurt a thing. A holding tank is just that. It is not a digestive environment. You're using two parts of the GEO method, which has been used by RVers for over 50 years.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @huntindog

1. We are full time so this is our home.
    2. Keeping them clean is partially for the sensors (although they’ve never been reliable so far and I don’t have high expectations, so just trying a few attempts to see if I can get them back) but more so to attempt to remove some of the smell and hopefully make us less susceptible to a poop pyramid.
    3. I do want to switch over to bacteria based / more natural versions for a few reasons, but most importantly because I expect in a few months to be hooked up to a septic for a month (moochdocking) and I don’t want to ruin it for them. I’ve heard chemicals can wreck the life of a septic, so just being conscious of that.

@geotex1

Thanks. I only think about this because most uses of this method that I’ve read/heard about seem to end up dumping at the destination on the same day. Just don’t want to mess up my system with something harsh left in there for longer than what I’ve heard the typical use case is. Thanks.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@geotex1

Thanks. I only think about this because most uses of this method that I’ve read/heard about seem to end up dumping at the destination on the same day. Just don’t want to mess up my system with something harsh left in there for longer than what I’ve heard the typical use case is. Thanks.
    Both blue Dawn and Borax are a bit alkaline with pH around 9. Zero effect on the polyolefin tank, seal material, or sensors, and is diluted fast. Every time I dump the black tank I redone it with 5 gallons of water and travel. I keep the tank "wet" all season as we travel often but not always regularly. Disinfect before winter storage and if needed along the way..
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Won't hurt a thing. A holding tank is just that. It is not a digestive environment. You're using two parts of the GEO method, which has been used by RVers for over 50 years.
    Yes a holding tank CAN be a digestive enviroment.. For most owners though it will not be, as the contents are just not there long enough.....But since you keep your tank wet....Your tank is a perfect candidate for the bacteria treatment.

2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison