User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linndoren View Post
    This is what o do for a living, I am an ultrasound inspection technician. When dealing with ultrasound there are a few things to keep in mind.
    1. ultrasound can’t travel through air, a grease(couplant) is imperative.
    2. Whether the sound is traveling straight or at an angle will change it’s time of flight which is what is read. An angle could cause a longer or shorter time of flight thus reading short or long.
    3. Each material it passes through has its own velocity which increases or decreases the time of flight based on thickness and inherent velocity.( I would recommend bare metal)
    4. The ambient temperature of all the parts involved will also affect the velocity and thus the time of flight.
    I recommend a lithium grease which I use because it will not turn to liquid and run off, in the ambient heat of Texas and lasts a long time before needing to add/replace it.

In conclusion there are a lot of variables that can affect your accuracy with out the sensors being at fault. Also who knows how accurately they are calibrated or manufactured. My inspection equipment is required to have an annual system calibration, and we have to do a calibration be for each use. Hope this helps you understand what the limitations are and the mechanics. Sorry if I was long winded and needed out too much.
    Thank you, I found your post very interesting and informative.....but I'm kind of geeky that way. Excellent info!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Thank you, I found your post very interesting and informative.....but I'm kind of geeky that way. Excellent info!
    Thanks Linndoren, I should have read this thread more thoroughly before I posted. I’ll pick up some lithium grease. I’ll try some hardware cloth underneath and see how that works.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I sanded the paint off the bottom of both my 30lb tanks, down to the bare metal. They were new tanks in perfect shape, but I was surprised just how much paint was applied during manufacturing. I reinstalled the sensors, and received better readings than my prior check.

One sensor/tank was 1% off between the app and measuring the actual weight. (app showed 71%, actual weight calculated out to 72%.)

The second sensor/tank was 17% off (app showed 6%, actual weight calculated out to 23%).

I then swapped the sensors on the tanks, just to see if the 17% discrepancy showed up on the other tank. After waiting for the propane to settle, the sensors/app displayed the exact same readings. (1% off and 17% off).

So, the sensors work just fine. Scratching my head about the 17% discrepancy, and re-checking my math, the only conclusion I've come up with, is the Tare Weight (empty weight) stamped on the tank, is not correct. I'll cross that bridge when the tank is finally empty.

Correction:

I need to correct a math calculation error I made on my first post.

A 30lb tank holds just that, 30lbs. So with the weight of 1 gallon of propane being 4.1 lbs, that means a full tank should hold approx 7.14 gallons. I previously stated 7.5 gallons.

It may not seem like a big deal to some, but I wanted to share my error and apologize for the incorrect info.

The error changed my hand calculation, as well as what the sensor/app was telling me, and I've since switched how I calculate by hand.

Current weight of the tank, minus the Tare weight = weight of propane. Then divide that number by 30lbs.

Side Note:

I was unaware of this until I saw one of the settings on the app, but apparently some places that sell propane, mix it with butane. Butane weighs more (4.78lbs per gallon), which can flaw the sensor reading, unless adjusted in the settings of the app. I've never seen mixed propane, but I live in a colder area of the country (where propane stores better).

Thank you to those who advised sanding the paint off the bottom of the tank. DEFINITLY improved the accuracy of the sensor/app reading.
    Last edited by Mediocrity; 05-27-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which mopeka sensor do you have ? standard or pro ? i have two tanks and we dont boondock so do i want one sensor or two

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123