User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ball Fire Extinguishers?

Okay, Marvin the Paranoid Android has gotten a hold of me! Even though I've never had this issue in the 40+ years I have had or used campers, my mind went a-wandering... What if...??? (DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held responsible if Marvin grabs a hold of you while reading this post!)

Here is the scenario: The reefer, invert/converter, 50 amp plug, solar control system, etc. catches fire. I have three fire extinguishers in the coach itself, but I know that I am not fast enough to make it around to the back of the coach and put out a fire caused by the reefer, or even worse, in the basement, behind the wall, the converter catches fire.

Would you put one of these ABC ball fire extinguishers in those compartments? The link contains several different types of these "automatic" extinguishers. I'm on the fence on this one. I'm considering the reefer because, from what I understand, most RV unattended fires that do not start with the tires after a blowout, start in the reefer compartment. (I'm excluding the kitchen (oven and stove) in this because I figure I would probably be there cooking if a fire started and I have a 1 lb extinguisher near the kitchen (I'm thinking of replacing it with a 2.5 lbs one).)

Let the paranoid chaos begin!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, Marvin the Paranoid Android has gotten a hold of me! Even though I've never had this issue in the 40+ years I have had or used campers, my mind went a-wandering... What if...??? (DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held responsible if Marvin grabs a hold of you while reading this post!)

Here is the scenario: The reefer, invert/converter, 50 amp plug, solar control system, etc. catches fire. I have three fire extinguishers in the coach itself, but I know that I am not fast enough to make it around to the back of the coach and put out a fire caused by the reefer, or even worse, in the basement, behind the wall, the converter catches fire.

Would you put one of these ABC ball fire extinguishers in those compartments? The link contains several different types of these "automatic" extinguishers. I'm on the fence on this one. I'm considering the reefer because, from what I understand, most RV unattended fires that do not start with the tires after a blowout, start in the reefer compartment. (I'm excluding the kitchen (oven and stove) in this because I figure I would probably be there cooking if a fire started and I have a 1 lb extinguisher near the kitchen (I'm thinking of replacing it with a 2.5 lbs one).)

Let the paranoid chaos begin!
    I will just exit and call my insurance.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I will just exit and call my insurance.
    @huntindog You are truly evil!

Not for calling your insurance, but for really yanking my paranoid chain! [emoji1787]
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 07-26-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it makes you feel better, go for it. People put expensive heavy duty locks on 50 cent doors, and it makes them feel better and the only harm is to their pocketbook, so if it makes you sleep better at night, do it.

I wouldn't, but heck I rarely lock my doors either. Don't try to rationalize it, just do it if you want to.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If it makes you feel better, go for it. People put expensive heavy duty locks on 50 cent doors, and it makes them feel better and the only harm is to their pocketbook, so if it makes you sleep better at night, do it.

I wouldn't, but heck I rarely lock my doors either. Don't try to rationalize it, just do it if you want to.
    That's the thing... When I go down a rabbit hole like this... Anything is bound to happen; I do believe it's done kind of quantum entanglement.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @huntindog You are truly evil!

Not for calling your insurance, but for really yanking my paranoid chain! [emoji1787]
    Over 40 years ago, I owned a single wide mobile home on 3 acres for about 4 hours. I left for dinner and returned as the firemen were finishing up. These types of things go up fast. Thinking any sort of fire ext, will stop it.... Well peeing in a hurricane would make more of a difference to the storm..
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...I'm in Huntindog's camp. The only reason for an extinguisher, imo, is to help extricate myself or others that are in the trailer. Everything else is replaceable with $$, which, if properly insured, will follow in a few weeks after the fire. I have no intention of putting myself at risk by playing fireman.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Well...I'm in Huntindog's camp. The only reason for an extinguisher, imo, is to help extricate myself or others that are in the trailer. Everything else is replaceable with $$, which, if properly insured, will follow in a few weeks after the fire. I have no intention of putting myself at risk by playing fireman.
    That isn't my point. I'm not going to play fireman either. (Those guys are just about equal to US Soldiers in my book, they really run to danger!) It was more of buying those few extra seconds to evacuate.

I think for now, they will go in that little paranoid compartment in my mind where I put a lot of my WTSHTF and EOTWAYKI scenarios.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That isn't my point. I'm not going to play fireman either. (Those guys are just about equal to US Soldiers in my book, they really run to danger!) It was more of buying those few extra seconds to evacuate.

I think for now, they will go in that little paranoid compartment in my mind where I put a lot of my WTSHTF and EOTWAYKI scenarios.
    Same here... but to add, they, firemen, also try to keep other structures from catching fire too.

We keep a 5lb extinguisher in our RV bedroom closet. And it too is only used to help us get out alive to call the Insurance and file a claim. Meanwhile as she burns, we are talking about the next RV we will replace it with using the insurance money.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't this different than talking about a regular fire extinguisher? If you have a fire start in the middle of the night in your refrigerator, it may not be an issue of just getting out of the trailer and letting the insurance company cover the costs. Also, in my case, my trailer sets in my driveway next to my house with the fridge running continuously. If it catches on fire at 3 AM my house goes with it.

The OP may have a valid concern.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast