User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I tow?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asirico22 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. The numbers that i put in are from the door sticker. 21,100 5th, and 12,950 GVWR. I didn't get the dually (training wheels lol) because i was told they were not needed for a camper since most dry weights are 15,000lbs +/- 1000. So if my door sticker says 5th wheel 21,100, then I should be able to tow a GD Momentum M, correct? Besides increased weight capacity and weight distribution, what am I really losing with having a SRW?
    Yeah, use the yellow, black and white sticker. That should look something like this....

You need to know what you can put in the bed.

What your truck can "pull" means nothing without what your truck can "haul" in the bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gvw.jpg  
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. The numbers that i put in are from the door sticker. 21,100 5th, and 12,950 GVWR. I didn't get the dually (training wheels lol) because i was told they were not needed for a camper since most dry weights are 15,000lbs +/- 1000. So if my door sticker says 5th wheel 21,100, then I should be able to tow a GD Momentum M, correct? Besides increased weight capacity and weight distribution, what am I really losing with having a SRW?
    Again, it's not about the 21,100 lb. fifth wheel towing capacity - it's about the pin weight of the trailer (4,100 lbs. for a fifth wheel with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs). and the payload capacity of the truck. Did you read through the thread I gave you above and plug all your numbers into the calculator in the link?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The max payload is 3807lbs. After using the calc, my estimated towing capacity is on 15,900lbs!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The max payload is 3807lbs. After using the calc, my estimated towing capacity is on 15,900lbs!
    Yep - a little above what I worked out manually just now - and remember, that's GVWR for the trailer - not dry weight. Like I said, it's all about payload with fifth wheels.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget, anything that rides in the truck, like passenger/s, gear, 5th wheel hitch, etc. is going to subtract from the payload capacity.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that screws me a bit. Being a novice and seeing 21,100lbs max 5th wheel, of course im taking that at face value. Both the dealer and my dumbass are saying "Oh yeah, thats more than enough!" [Abbreviation for obscenity removed]! I was trying to save money by not getting a dually.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-24-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that screws me a bit. Being a novice and seeing 21,100lbs max 5th wheel, of course im taking that at face value. Both the dealer and my dumbass are saying "Oh yeah, thats more than enough!" [Abbreviation for obscenity removed]! I was trying to save money by not getting a dually.
    Most truck salesmen and RV dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. It's best to research, ask questions, and do your due diligence before plopping down a wad of money. That said, you won't be the first member of the "Two-Timers' Club." These are folks who didn't get enough truck the first time and had to get a more capable truck. You can still look at many of the not-so-giant toy haulers - you'll just have to be mindful of the numbers. If you got a short bed, you'll need to figure 250+ lbs. for an auto-slider hitch; if a long-bed, about 200 lbs. unless you go with something like the Andersen Ultimate or PullRite Ultra-Lite. Then, as @Hoopy Frood reminded us, figure in the weight of your passengers and any gear you'll carry in the truck and subtract that from payload.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I will tell you the rest of the story. A toy hauler usually has a pretty high pin weight if there are no toys in the garage. How big are the dogs?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Now I will tell you the rest of the story. A toy hauler usually has a pretty high pin weight if there are no toys in the garage. How big are the dogs?
    Ha! All 4 total to about 260lbs! Maybe a toy hauler is not the answer then? Is there a good resource/database of pin weights per model?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll put my 2 cents in here, for what it's worth. You can see in my signature that I tow a 20K GVWR Momentum M class, triple axle. I have a Dually with 5270 lbs of payload. Any of the triple axle Momentum M class trailers will overload your truck. I've personally had pin weights at the 4000 lb range, and usually a couple hundred pounds less with my Can Am Spyder and a bottom half of a roll around tool box, plus other stuff. We know a couple that full times and tows a 397TH that will have pin weights in the 4500 lb range. It's their house, so it's loaded up to the gills, so to speak, but it just shows you that the triple axle trailers like that are some serious pin weight vehicles. Trailers that large are going to require a Dually with 5000+ lbs of payload, especially when you consider what I am writing next. It's not just the pin weight of the trailer itself, you also have to include passenger(s), dogs, a toolbox in the bed, the weight of the 5ver hitch itself (sometimes in the 160 to 170 lb range or more). Basically Anything and Everything that goes In/On the truck that wasn't In/On the truck when it rolled off of the assembly line.

Having said that about the Momenum M class Triple Axle, Grand Design also makes a Momentum M class in a tandem axle version. A couple that come to mind are the 349M and the 351MS....and there are some other models that are out there that maybe are not currently being produced....probably some dealer stock and or used models. You MIGHT be able to get by with one of those, depending of course on how heavy you load it and how much "stuff" is going in/on the truck. Some of those, if loaded up close to or at the GVWR (usually 16,800 lbs), will be putting down around ~3400 lbs on the pin. Lots of folks, even towing one of those weight trailers will still opt for a Dually with it's 5000+ payload numbers. Hope this helps and good luck on your search.
    Last edited by xrated; 08-24-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast