User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @Hoopy Frood that we should turn off the breaker at the pedestal before plugging in or out but I rarely do and have never had any issues. In your case it's definitely worth a try. Do you use an ems protection either hardwired or at the pedestal? We have the portable PI and it doesn't seem to mind if power is on or not when plugging in or out. Could it be your power cord maybe?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What in the world is a "Battery Disconnect Fuse" circuit? I've seen electronic battery disconnects on motor homes, but don't recall one on a TT or 5th wheel.

Maybe list your make and model and someone has the same rig and can help.

I think you need to find out what that fuse controls and then you can test whatever device it controls.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching this one for sure. Been a Journeyman electrician a long time. Never heard of pulling the power blowing fuses. Closing power in? Sure...but not opening power.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

I think you need to find out what that fuse controls and then you can test whatever device it controls.
    I would call GD customer service on this one.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a different power cable? Yours may be defective...... just a thought.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling the plug from the trailer first may not be a clean disconnect as the twist may cause some internal arcing. Always disconnect from pedestal fist, ideally after pedestal breaker is off.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	43545

Notice outlet on the left has a burnt leg. This is what happens eventually when one removes the cable without shutting off the breaker first.
    Please remember to shut off breaker.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a burnt socket can be caused by many other factors. Dirty connections are the most typical, not by pulling the connector out without turning off the breaker. One important key is to turn off all 120V systems in the coach before connection. Without a load there will be minimal current draw and a minimal arcing of the prongs with the socket. Everyday we plug and unplug devices in our home wall outlets and don’t turn breakers off prior to.

It is great practice to have your coach main breaker off as well as the pedestal breaker, make your connection then turn breaker’s on. Even a breaker will have a small arc internally if there is a load downstream. A breaker is a safety device and has a certain lifespan as they are turned on and off constantly resetting the spring breaker tension.

Your blown fuse could be attributed to a lose connection somewhere. A wire under a screw terminal is not tight. Or the screw caught the insulation. Some sort of arcing or heat/current draw is occurring.

Good luck in your troubleshooting.
    Randy and Kris

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense, but honestly, who goes around and turns off all the 120V appliances every time they disconnect from shore power? Or flip the main breaker every time? That's why I always flip the breaker at the pedestal, I'd rather have their breakers arced and not mine. And while the blown fuse could be caused by a loose connection somewhere, it's rather suspicious that it happens every time the power is disconnected. That's why I suggested turning the power off at the pedestal and leaving the power cord connected to see if it happens then. I betting that it only happens when the power is on and the plug pulled while it's live.

Of course I still haven't figured out what the Battery Disconnect Switch fuse does.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense taken. But I prefer to do a soft turn off of my major 120V systems. It takes all of 30 seconds for the AC, fridge and any other high cost devices. The main breaker on my coach takes all of 10 seconds to shut off but I typically don’t turn it off. I turn the pedestal breaker off and then pull the cord. His fuse is a DC fuse blowing which means a DC system is being turned on after he pulls the cord and there is a 30A+ DC load blowing his fuse. My first suspect would be the loose connection. Then maybe a bad 12V power supply.

I also am confused by the battery disconnect moniker on the fuse.
    Randy and Kris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast