User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    You're grinding the cutting edge off of both jaws or just one? Hard to tell from your otherwise excellent pix, but it looks like you're just dulling the blades, yes?
    i am grinding both jaws so as to make the bottom flat; which then (the jaws flattened on one side only ) will go BETWEEN the stainless leaves easier. Also by grinding the front flat the removal separation is done with a thicker part of the tool and the separation of the stainless is greater
    Last edited by ForBruce; 01-13-2023 at 08:39 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03griz View Post
    That is the same method I use except I use flush cuts so they are factory ground down flat on the one side. As a side note
    you can use those cutters for cutting plastic cable tie's nice and flush so that you don't have a sharp arm cutting end........
    interesting could you post a photo of the tool...always learning
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be overly simplistic here. I tried all the cutting pliers I had, but nothing worked.
    Then I thought, what about the Dremel Tool I had in the tool box in the RV Barn.
    Pulled the Dremel out of the tool box, replaced the grinding tool with a fiberglass reinforced cutting disk and proceeded to cut the PEX fitting off. Less than one half of a minute later the clamp had split and I pulled it off with my feeble fingers
    J.J.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ50325 View Post
    I might be overly simplistic here. I tried all the cutting pliers I had, but nothing worked.
    Then I thought, what about the Dremel Tool I had in the tool box in the RV Barn.
    Pulled the Dremel out of the tool box, replaced the grinding tool with a fiberglass reinforced cutting disk and proceeded to cut the PEX fitting off. Less than one half of a minute later the clamp had split and I pulled it off with my feeble fingers
    J.J.
    I too use a Dremel tool. One just needs to be very careful that one doesn't nick the PEX as it would create a weak spot for potential leaks (splitting) in the future.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also used a cordless Dremel tool. You have to be careful but it's easy enough. I also replaced the plastic fittings with brass fittings when I last had to do a repair job.
    Jim & Kathy
    Gracie, our 14 year old Rescued Beagle, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge with her big sister Bailey
    Suzy our 8 year old rescued Beagle
    2019 2500RL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I too use a Dremel tool. One just needs to be very careful that one doesn't nick the PEX as it would create a weak spot for potential leaks (splitting) in the future.
    i have a dremel and thought about it also. But did not want to chance nicking the pex or worse yet getting a kick back and cutting the pex

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    i have a dremel and thought about it also. But did not want to chance nicking the pex or worse yet getting a kick back and cutting the pex
    Practice makes better! I wasted (used for education purposes) about half a dozen clamps on a 5" piece of PEX that I cut in half and used one of the old plastic T-junctions that I had to replace. After the second one I got really good at not nicking the PEX.

I use the Dremel because, even with my access door to the back of the Nautilus panel, I can't get the leverage on the side cutters to cut the connector.

EDIT: changed the name of the tool to a more politically correct term. [emoji848]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Practice makes better! I wasted (used for education purposes) about half a dozen clamps on a 5" piece of PEX that I cut in half and used one of the old plastic T-junctions that I had to replace. After the second one I got really good at not nicking the PEX.

I use the Dremel because, even with my access door to the back of the Nautilus panel, I can't get the leverage on the side cutters to cut the connector.

EDIT: changed the name of the tool to a more politically correct term. [emoji848]
    i can't get leverage with side cutters to CUT the clamp either ... But then again the Clamp is NOT cut. It is only separated and then pulled apart.

Go back to the very first post and look at photo #4 it shows the side cutters ONLY separating the stainless layers.

the ground down cutter gets placed between the layers and when squeezed , Easily, the top and bottom layers will pull apart...look the the photos in my first post
    Last edited by ForBruce; 01-14-2023 at 07:58 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    i can't get leverage with side cutters to CUT the clamp either ... But then again the Clamp is NOT cut. It is only separated and then pulled apart.

Go back to the very first post and look at photo #4 it shows the side cutters ONLY separating the stainless layers.

the ground down cutter gets placed between the layers and when squeezed , Easily, the top and bottom layers will pull apart...look the the photos in my first post
    Ah, got it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12