User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY PIN LOCK--- and my rejects

Looking into different pin locks, i noticed the problem with most is that the king pings are heavy greased.

The retractable portion of the locks tends to pull DIRT and grease back into the sliding mechanism.

I am worried as to how much dirt and grim it will take before the locking slider will NOT retract into the housings and release the pin for removal.

I assembled a few photos of this problem but due to the 5-photo limitation ; i could not show all.

The photo of the War-Lock is a good example though.

I chose to get just a Cylinder and then buy a quality lock that would remain outside of the dirt and grime area of the king pin.

The "Abus" lock ($85-$102 ) i chose is all stainless steel, made to be out in the weather , is hardened steel and has an 8-pin tumbler configuration.

These tumblers are set an an angle and cannot be duplicated by your neighborhood locksmith.

UPDATE: as far as bolt cutters is concerned the shackle is 7/16 round. doubt a 36" bolt cutter will do it

If someone you wants my trainer.. their going to make a hell of a noise to get it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails war-lok.jpg   collar.jpg   abus full pic.jpg   lock-collar  .jpg   lock on pin   .jpg  

Last edited by ForBruce; 01-23-2023 at 01:41 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are the remaining photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red pin lock.jpg   enforcer lock.jpg  
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I've used a War-Lok since we bought our 320MKS and never had an issue with it. Then again, I don't grease my pin. I LIGHTLY grease the jaws of the B&W Companion hitch and that's it. My pin isn't heavily coated with grease. I dunno, just me?
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or they use a set of big ol' bolt cutters and make no noise at all.

And from what I've read, most thefts occur while the unit is in storage, so some noise for a few seconds may not be that big of a deal. In fact, just as a guess, it seems several thefts occur at the owners' homes.

Most of the time a lock is only to keep an honest man honest, but someone looking to steal a trailer isn't walking around hoping for a target of opportunity. But the only person who has to be satisfied is you.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Interesting. I've used a War-Lok since we bought our 320MKS and never had an issue with it. Then again, I don't grease my pin. I LIGHTLY grease the jaws of the B&W Companion hitch and that's it. My pin isn't heavily coated with grease. I dunno, just me?
    that's good..just want to make people who use this type of lock be aware and clean the slider often

also look at the close up of the War-lok pin... see how the grim builds up...good lock if you remember to keep it lubed and clean.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone talking bolt cutters

check out this youtube video using a hydraulic bolt cutter on an "ABUS" lock (Abus is in my first post and is what i use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NkgcSWgakE

this youtube uses a ratchet bolt cutter and an ABUS lock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NkgcSWgakE
    Last edited by ForBruce; 01-23-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Me too, not just you. I don't grease the pin. Lightly coat the jaws (and flat riding surface of hitch) and then wipe the pin clean every few hitch ups.
    A clean pin is a happy pin .

Edit: I also use a Warlok. Still looks new inside and out.
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob+Kath; 01-23-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a WAR-LOK.

We used them in a commercial trucking operation for years. Never had a problem with one stuck on a trailer, and you can't get boltcutters on them. Torch, saw, grinder are basically the main ways they can be defeated. Which is most any lock.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem to cut with bolt cutters. Thanks to rechargeable batteries, monster shears are available to everyone and silently snip! I have a commercial cabling cutter that I use to cut rod and bar when fabticating
    It slices through #7 rebar without any struggle. I mention this because around Thanksgiving I was watching news where surveillance cameras caught a group of thieves stealing motorcycles and using a Milwaukee shear of this type making light work of every style lock.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lady on the other side of town that had her toy hauler taken from her driveway while she slept, no pin lock. I soon after bought one, not a high dollar one but it makes DW happy.
    I grease the jaws on the hitch and pin. Hasn't gummed up the lock in the past few years.
    If thieves want it, and have enough time they will defeat any lock.
    I don't obsess over it, that's what insurance is for.

Of course I keep the trailer in my yard behind a gate & out of view of the road.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast