User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weigh safe weight distribution hitch setting?

My rear truck axile without trailer weighs 2680 lbs with full tank of gas and Driver / passenger in truck. (CAT scale)
    Trying to keep rear truck axle under 4150 lbs with the trailer that has a Gross Weight of about 7700-8000lbs loaded. 34 foot trailer.

So I have 1470lbs. availability on the rear axle. I think Tongue weight should not exceed 1200 Max. So I was just wondering what the calculated lbs mean on the App that the weigh safe gets set to? Is that the amount of weight on rear axle of truck?

I want to find a WDH that keeps my rear axle on the truck at or under the 4150lbs. The Blue Ox sway pro did not work, may not have been set up properly but the CAT scale showed too much weight on rear axle and 300lbs less weight and front (steer) axle of truck. Also did not like how the truck was still swaying. Ordering different WDH and highly considering Weigh Safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All WDH's transfer weight to the front axle not to the rear. It will not affect the actual tongue weight of the trailer. To get an accurate tongue weight you will need to weigh the truck and trailer without the WDH engaged.

I am a great believer in the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch. It has performed perfectly on our very heavy Momentum 31G. The calculated weight is the reading on the gauge on the hitch that you need to achieve to have the hitch in proper adjustment per the weights that you have input into the app. You turn the big thru bolt to achieve that number.

Here's a video demonstrating the setup of the Weigh Safe hitch.

Last edited by TerryH; 06-03-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you have a 1/2 ton truck (just guessing by the 4150 Gross Rear Axle Rating), my Tundra has the same. You want recommendations on hitches that will transfer most weight of the trailer tongue back to the steering axle. However, you are not actually sure what the tongue weight is.

Couple thoughts before you start buying hitches. Either take the truck and trailer back to the CAT scale loaded for camping and do 3 weighs to get the actual tongue weight.

Here’s a good calculator to walk you through.
    http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales

Or buy a Sherline LM2000 tongue weight scale and weigh it yourself, don’t forget to add the weight of your current hitch.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2.../dp/B007REK28M

A 34 foot trailer loaded to 7700-8000 for a 1/2 ton is a lot (again assuming you have a 1/2). If so, there are some folks on this forum who have had good luck with Hensley/ProPride for example with longer/heavier trailers.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You for your responses. Very informative and helpful.
    Yes we are towing with a 1/2 ton. New F150 with Max tow package, 1,400lb rated hitch and 12,700lb towing capacity. 18,400lb total combine weight tolerance. Our camper is suppose to have 760lb tongue weight per manufacture. But I figured loaded should be around 1,000 not more then 1200 max.

I did all the number crunching with all the car stickers in the door frame before buying trailer, so I’m pretty sure we can be within the numbers. I just think our first outing things weren’t set up correctly from the dealership installing our WDH. After looking more into it, I think Blue Ox sway pro isn’t the best one for us ether.
    Just watched the hitch battle video on YouTube and see it didn’t perform as well as others.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawarwick View Post
    Yes we are towing with a 1/2 ton. New F150 with Max tow package, 1,400lb rated hitch and 12,700lb towing capacity. 18,400lb total combine weight tolerance. Our camper is suppose to have 760lb tongue weight per manufacture. But I figured loaded should be around 1,000 not more then 1200 max.

I did all the number crunching with all the car stickers in the door frame before buying trailer, so I’m pretty sure we can be within the numbers. I just think our first outing things weren’t set up correctly from the dealership installing our WDH. After looking more into it, I think Blue Ox sway pro isn’t the best one for us ether.
    Just watched the hitch battle video on YouTube and see it didn’t perform as well as others.

Just an FYI... the Max Tow package is separate from the HDPP (Heavy-Duty Payload Package) on the F150s. Does your truck have both or just the Max Tow package?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawarwick View Post

We don't use the Blue OX on F-150 trucks anymore.

Is your truck equipped with the Ford Trailer sway system? If it is, the Blue Ox will fight the system.

Also, you probably have P metric passenger tires on the truck. Unless the tire size starts with "LT", you will also get squat and sway from the tires.

We use the Reese Strait line or Equalizer E4 on all F150 trucks.
    Last edited by huntr70; 06-04-2022 at 06:53 AM.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the blue ox fight the ford trailer sway system huntr70?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planedrvr View Post
    When replying you should use the quote feature as I have used so the person will know
    You could also tag them @huntr70
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planedrvr View Post
    I don't pretend to know the physics of it, but I can tell you that every Blue Ox we installed on a Ford with built in trailer sway came back due to customer complaints about sway and we replaced with either a Reese Strait Line or Equalizer E4 hitch.

We just go pro-active now and don't even bother to use them on Fords anymore.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I don't pretend to know the physics of it, but I can tell you that every Blue Ox we installed on a Ford with built in trailer sway came back due to customer complaints about sway and we replaced with either a Reese Strait Line or Equalizer E4 hitch.

We just go pro-active now and don't even bother to use them on Fords anymore.
    Although not an F150, we used a Blue Ox Sway Pro with our 312BHTS and a 2013 F350 SRW. Had to turn sway control OFF when hitched up because the Ford sway control module would apply braking to the trailer. I assume it had something to do with a yaw sensor or flux capacitor. Sway Pro worked well as long as I remembered to turn off the Ford sway control. As a reminder, I put a label on the TST monitor to "Turn Off Sway Control". I don't have an option to turn on or off sway control on the F450, as far as I know. My FIL had a 2019 F150 and used a Sway Pro with his Imagine trailer. I never asked if he had the option to turn off sway control. He now has a 2021 F350 SRW and still uses the Sway Pro.

My examples are different beasts I know, but wonder if the complaints with the Sway Pro and F150s were on newer models that possibly didn't have an option to turn off sway control?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast