User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a 13k 5th with a 6.6 GM gas

TV is a 2022 GMC 3500 gasser with the 6.6L engine. We currently tow a 10k 295RL without any issues and are looking to upgrade to a Solitude 2930 where we estimate a loaded weight of 13k.

Is anyone else towing with a similar TV and RV weight? What are you experiences? I understand that the torque peak of the gas occurs at 4,000 RPM and a diesel is around 2,000.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, 13K is not realistic for a loaded weight for a fifth wheel with a stated dry weight of 11K and a GVWR of 15K. It will come off the production line with a weight above the brochure weight and then have batteries, LP, etc. added. 23% of the GVWR (3,400 lbs.) would be an estimated loaded pin weight. Being a gasser, your truck may have the payload for that, but a 6.6 gasser may not have the oomph to make it a comfortable towing experience.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This goes back to that never-ending gas vs diesel debate. That gasser will pull that 5er no problem. Will it be the best experience you could have? Maybe not but it depends on your trip length and location. Getting the 5er going is one thing but towing it in stable fashion (your 3500 will be fine there IMO) and slowing/stopping is another thing. The exhaust brake on newer diesels is a welcome feature when towing heavy, which you will be approaching once loaded up.

This coming from a gasser guy. Good luck with the new coach and safe travels.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    IMHO, 13K is not realistic for a loaded weight for a fifth wheel with a stated dry weight of 11K and a GVWR of 15K. It will come off the production line with a weight above the brochure weight and then have batteries, LP, etc. added. 23% of the GVWR (3,400 lbs.) would be an estimated loaded pin weight. Being a gasser, your truck may have the payload for that, but a 6.6 gasser may not have the oomph to make it a comfortable towing experience.

Rob
    I would whole heartily agree with Rob. Once you've towed a heavy load with a gas and diesel--there is no comparison. You will find a handful of gas truck owners who will say it's fine.....I would look at the numbers of the diesel owners who recommend otherwise.....where is the larger group on this topic?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive towed heavy with gas and diesel both.

As much as I hate the baggage that comes with diesels, there is no comparison in the towing department. Hands down diesel.

BUT....if you only tow a FEW TIMES a year or whatever, and the REST of the time its your daily driver......still buy the diesel....because you're an AMERICAN and we'll spend $15k more for the truck and $5k more per year on fuel just because we can.

Be a man. (hahaha)
    Last edited by Slappy; 02-25-2023 at 10:12 AM.
    2023 GDRV 398 M-R
    2022 Cruiser South Fork (soon to be 'for sale')
    2019 F350 SRW 4x4 6.7 LB CC XLT
    2023 F450 4x4 CC Lariat (on order whenever Ford decides to make 'trucks' again)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the other option also is that with diesel you also get the ability to get fuel in the “truck stop” if you choose which makes navigating for fuel easier if your rig is gonna be long and you are traveling during peak seasons and fuel stations are busy. The gas motor has plenty to do it, but the gear changing while at speed (freeway) because of the torque difference really makes the experience different. I am a diesel owner (2 trucks currently), and would not pull anything heavy without one personally. When I was towing with gas, I had to have the RPM over 3K to keep it from changing gears all the time on the freeway. With my diesel I do not have that issue and so my personal choice is to tow my loads with my diesel vehicles. Personal choice for sure, not taking anything away from those that choose gas, but I know that while I am an accomplished driver and puller, getting gasoline with my 44 foot trailer would be an issue for me at stations unless its a buccy’s with 120 pumps .

Just my opinion, not intending to offend anyone
    Last edited by msutoad; 02-25-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah MSUTOAD that RPM comment is right on.

I just hate the sound of going up a long grade with a gas engine down in a low gear and the RPMs spun up like a lawn mower engine. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While looking at the RPM needle way up there..

Thats one of the things that turned me off to buying the Entegra 36A gas motorhome with the 7.3 Ford motor. I test drove it and turned onto an on-ramp and felt like I was redlining the motor to do anything at all.

These heavy duty gas motor are put on engine test mounts and run WIDE OPEN until the point of failure by the manufacturers. The 7.3 Godzilla it was rumored ran something crazy like 100 hours at redline until it failed.

So they CAN do it, and its not outside their designed abilities to run wide open when you need it to.

It's just discomforting to hear that going on under foot when you're comparatively accustomed to the power of a modern diesel.

Just boils down to a question of money really. I was generally kidding about saying "Be a man" in the prior post, but it does sort of boil down to what its worth to you and what kind of towing experience you want to have.
    2023 GDRV 398 M-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH and BY THE WAY.....

I really like that GM 6.6. Looks like a REAL strong heavy duty gasser. If you made the decision to go that way, there's nothing bad to say about it. It will give you years of good service. Compare it to diesels of yesteryear, and I'd take a GM 6.6 gasser anyday over the 7.3 diesel IDI I've got out in the cow pasture right now.
    2023 GDRV 398 M-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I would whole heartily agree with Rob. Once you've towed a heavy load with a gas and diesel--there is no comparison. You will find a handful of gas truck owners who will say it's fine.....I would look at the numbers of the diesel owners who recommend otherwise.....where is the larger group on this topic?
    @tonywelle
    This above!
    I’ve towed 14k lbs with both gas and diesel, and am so jaded against gas I’ll never have one again for towing. If you are on the flatlands and tow infrequently, then maybe gas, but any slight hills and you have to be ok with listening to screaming high rpm’s. I used to drive ours (6.0L Chevy) in manual in order to try and limit the shifting. Cruise control was out of the question. The specs on your 6.6L gas are better, but only marginally better, so I would expect it to be a similar experience. They just don’t have lugging power.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the 7.3 because it is more than adequate to pull my 10K 260RD. I've been up and over the Rockies, against strong head and crosswinds on the prairies and never felt the the 7.3 was underpowered or could not control the trailer. Typically 2,000 to 2,500 rpm in 8th to 10th gear on the flats. 5th or 6th and 4,000 rpm when climbing with power to spare. Although I have only pulled the new 295RL once (300 kms) I have no doubt that the 7.3 will handle the 11K with ease.

That being said, I also feel that with the 3.73 rear end I'm at the limit of this powertrain.

If I ever upgraded to a Solitude, I'd go with a diesel. Probably a dually.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast