User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use the Exterior Cap or Not???

Hello Everyone,
    So here is a question I am curious about. The Exterior Cap we are all given that we twist on the Exterior Drain Pipe before we travel, how many actually do this? I used to at first but recently when Im done traveling for the day and its time to untwist the cap, I always get a blast or some seepage when I am setting up. I do make sure the Gray and Black valves are all in and closed. It's getting to the point to where I don't put on the Cap when I leave. Anyone else have this issue or know what causes this?

Much appreciated and safe Travels to all.

James
    U.S. Army Veteran
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW LB 6.7 HO Cummins, 6 Speed Trans
    2022 Solitude 380FL-R
    Victron Multi Plus II Invertor 3000W Inverter, 2-300amp Lithiums
    Previously Grand Design Trnscend Explor 274BH
    Full time since 02/22

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some have placed a Valtera shutoff valve between the sewer connection and the cap to trap the small occassional leak and allows you to hook up the drain hose after another exterior valve so not to get splashed on with water waste when dumping.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use the Exterior Cap or Not???

Quote Originally Posted by lukskywalker View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    So here is a question I am curious about. The Exterior Cap we are all given that we twist on the Exterior Drain Pipe before we travel, how many actually do this? I used to at first but recently when Im done traveling for the day and its time to untwist the cap, I always get a blast or some seepage when I am setting up. I do make sure the Gray and Black valves are all in and closed. It's getting to the point to where I don't put on the Cap when I leave. Anyone else have this issue or know what causes this?

Much appreciated and safe Travels to all.

James
    Many posts on here about it. Some have experienced this
    I don’t use one the above mentioned extra valve. I don’t get any more than a cupful when I open mine if that even
    They stick out to far for my liking
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-12-2023 at 07:09 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many times over the years I have heard it said that it is illegal to be on the highway without a cap. I have never checked to see if this actually a law as i never travel without the cap on. If something were to catch the pull handle and open the tank drain you would make quite a mess on the road and might be held liable for the cleanup, I would rather not take that chance.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use something like this. I also have one
    You can then unscrew the hose end slowly with a bucket underneath

https://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-Produ...66853521&psc=1
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our trailer used and every time I'd remove the cap a cup or two would run out. Made it unpleasant for me - even using a bucket to catch as it was one more thing to rinse out. The Valtera shut off valve at the end of the sewer fitting was money well spent for me. From the factory the sewer connection stuck out more than I liked and the addition of the Valtera valve made it even worse so I simply cut off a short section of the sewer pipe, glued on a new fitting (ABS glue), and I'm set to go. No more surprises now when I remove the cap to attach the sewer hose.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not travel without the cap on. If road vibrations cause the valves to open a tiny bit you could be allowing your drainage to leak onto the road where it shouldn't. I've also heard it's illegal but beyond that it's just inconsiderate to dump your liquids where you shouldn't.

Agreed on the additional valve. It's easy to add and not very expensive, if nothing else it gives good peace of mind to have another layer of valve stopping flow before you open the cap. This was one of the first things we added to our rig and I'm always happy to have it when I open the cap.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't understand the problem people have with a small amount of liquid coming out when you pull that cap off. You're going to put the sewer hose on anyway if you are taking the cap off. Just take the hose out first, hold the end under the cap, then twist the cap off. If you have a cup of water or whatever come out, it will run into the hose and then you attach the hose and open a valve. Unless there is a serious leak (which should be rectified), I don't know why a bucket or any other solution is necessary. Do I just not understand the problem?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it could be the "Yuck" factor.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Class A, I had the same problem (Not with current rig). Because of how the wet bay was constructed, it would have been too much work to do myself and too much money to pay.
    My solution was simply to wad up a bunch of paper towels in that small cavity prior to installing the Capp. Never had that issue again. First measure, take cap off and throw away towels. I wore nitrile gloves so no big deal.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast