Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Splicing portable solar panels into existing reflection solar

Hey guys! I have a 2022 Reflection 31mb that is going through a lithium and inverter upgrade. Ideally I want to end with additional solar production capacity (ie more panels). I would prefer NOT installing more on the roof. My question: does anybody see massive issues with splicing in some solar panel connectors in the front compartment solar lines just before they go into the Furrion 50amp controller. These would stay connected most of the time (normal use). When camping, I could them out pull my additional portable panels and then series or parallel them into the front compartment (unhook the spliced in connectors at the controller, and hook in the portable ones via single connectors for series or a Y branch for parallel).

Yep, I get it. I should prob just have them hard wired in on top, but I want some portable ones for other uses and want to also use them for additional solar capacity while camping. Also, when in the shade, I could utilize the parallel connections to hopefully get the new panels into the sun.

I also understand that I’ll loose some gains because of the difference in panels (I will have up to 2x200w portable panels or 1x300w single).

Looking for your thoughts, cheers!
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    2013 F350 Super Duty w/ Firestone 7.5k Red Label Ride Rite air bags
    B&W Turnover-ball and B&W companion hitch
    Mac Air Warhorse

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhendriver View Post
    Hey guys! I have a 2022 Reflection 31mb that is going through a lithium and inverter upgrade. Ideally I want to end with additional solar production capacity (ie more panels). I would prefer NOT installing more on the roof. My question: does anybody see massive issues with splicing in some solar panel connectors in the front compartment solar lines just before they go into the Furrion 50amp controller. These would stay connected most of the time (normal use). When camping, I could them out pull my additional portable panels and then series or parallel them into the front compartment (unhook the spliced in connectors at the controller, and hook in the portable ones via single connectors for series or a Y branch for parallel).

Yep, I get it. I should prob just have them hard wired in on top, but I want some portable ones for other uses and want to also use them for additional solar capacity while camping. Also, when in the shade, I could utilize the parallel connections to hopefully get the new panels into the sun.

I also understand that I’ll loose some gains because of the difference in panels (I will have up to 2x200w portable panels or 1x300w single).

You'd be a lot better off getting an inexpensive solar controller and running your portable panels through it. Assuming your portable panels are similar you won't have to worry about voltage loss. Connect the controller to your battery bus bar and you should be good to go.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i tried to add some panels to my factory system and it ultimatly was a big failure. i ended up replacing the controller with a victron that works.
    now your factory system is different than mine, so perhaps you will have better luck.i just do not think the factory stuff is up to adding more panels. you can search my old posts to see my experiences on my journey to what i now have.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    You'd be a lot better off getting an inexpensive solar controller and running your portable panels through it. Assuming your portable panels are similar you won't have to worry about voltage loss. Connect the controller to your battery bus bar and you should be good to go.
    Yep thought has crossed my mind but wouldn’t it be prudent to disconnect my OEM controller/panels from the battery while I am charging with the portable? Any issues with pumping in power from both my OEM controller and the new portable one at the same time?
    Last edited by Mudhendriver; 03-22-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i tried to add some panels to my factory system and it ultimatly was a big failure. i ended up replacing the controller with a victron that works.
    now your factory system is different than mine, so perhaps you will have better luck.i just do not think the factory stuff is up to adding more panels. you can search my old posts to see my experiences on my journey to what i now have.
    Yep i totally get it, and compared to a good victron, the stock Furrion isn’t in the same ballpark. BUT, the stock controller should be up for an additional 200-300 watt capacity. For now, until I get a better charger like a victron, I am just trying to work it in my brain why what I want to do wouldnt work since I am essentially just paralle or series connecting (situation dependent) in more panels (albeit via a non traditional location ).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep i totally get it, and compared to a good victron, the stock Furrion isn’t in the same ballpark. BUT, the stock controller should be up for an additional 200-300 watt capacity. For now, until I get a better charger like a victron, I am just trying to work it in my brain why what I want to do wouldnt work since I am essentially just paralle or series connecting (situation dependent) in more panels (albeit via a non traditional location ).
    i once thought the same as you. i really hope it works out for you. i encourage you to read my old posts on this to see how my opinion evolved on this over time.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i once thought the same as you. i really hope it works out for you. i encourage you to read my old posts on this to see how my opinion evolved on this over time.
    I am just diving into your posts now, thanks for the point out!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep thought has crossed my mind but wouldn’t it be prudent to disconnect my OEM controller/panels from the battery while I am charging with the portable? Any issues with pumping in power from both my OEM controller and the new portable one at the same time?
    So you should be fine running two separate charge controllers, the stock Furrion for the existing system (no need to touch it), and a cheap one for the portable panels. No splicing is needed. This is what I'm doing and it works fine.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S